Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

HELP me trace a VIN #...

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2003, 02:27 AM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:HELP me trace a VIN #...

Sorry I can't check it for ya, but it could still be in California, depending on the state, if the vehicle isn't registered for a couple years, it will drop from the records. If it were to be entered as stolen (just an example) it would stay in for 5 years. When entered as stolen,the entering agency would be advised of any recent query's on that vin. Using LEIN/NLETS (police computer), you would have to check each state for a file on that vin, it doesn't do all at once. So you would have to make an educated guess as to which state it's from. I'm not sure if there's a program on the web that would help.<br><br>I don't understand &quot;overdue registration&quot;.<br>The reg should have been cancelled when it changed hands, which could have gotten you a rebate, or since expired. The guy purchasing the vehicle cannot re-register your plate to himself. Usually when money is owed to the DMV, they &quot;suspend&quot; the reg, license, etc., until they get paid. I have heard of them coming after you. You just get a ticket or go to jail when stopped for driving without the license, or reg. They're not gonna suspend the other vehicles you own for this one, so long as they were paid up (i/e check cleared).
Old 06-14-2003, 07:27 AM
Chapter President

Don, I do not know about Ca but in some states, the plate stays with the vehicle not the person.
Old 06-14-2003, 12:14 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Gary, just for grins, have you tried the dodge dealer's records?<br><br>I'm not a L.E.O. but I think NCIC is the only way to do what you're looking for, and you have to be a L.E.O. to use it.
Old 06-14-2003, 10:53 PM
AlK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gary,<br>I am wondering if the bank that you deal with can be of any help. If you were paid by cheque they may have a microfiche copy of the cheque.<br>---<br>Al
Old 06-15-2003, 02:10 AM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

NLETS is the system that gives police info on out of state registration, but it only checks state-by-state. The vehicle probably wasn't transferred to a new state as money was owed to CA, and they wouldn't release anyway. NCIC is what keeps track of warrants and stolen entries.<br><br>The insurance company would be a good lead, but the new owner probably couldn't re-register because he wasn't insurable anyway.<br><br>Gary, if you haven't, I would submit a new form in the mean time. Just in case something else happens. What exactly is this &quot;fee&quot; for? As I tried to say above, most states just suspend any registration activity until they get paid.<br><br>Unfortunately your another victim of a very poor system. Michigan is the same way. Our dept sends letters to last known owners of vehicles towed from the freeway. If they don't own it anymore, the burden of proof is on them. You may have to get creative with a sales receipt. The only other thing I can think of would be to contact your local legislator, and lean on him to help clear this up and push for a better system. Sometimes they actually do listen to you. I'll keep asking around, good luck.<br>Don