Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

HELP!!! '82 F-150 Problems.

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 10:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP!!! '82 F-150 Problems.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hey guys well I finally did it I bought a cheap DD. I bought a '82 f-150 4x4 300/6 4 sp man. Got it for 250 bux and it runs and drives and everything but the fuel gauges work.

NOW FOR THE BAD.

It shifts fine but I found out the bell housing has 2 big cracks in it.

----HOW HARD IS THAT TO CHANGE???? Anyone Have One???

it keeps dieseling and blowing some black smoke out of the tail pipe. Now when I press the EGR diafram i assuming open it smoothes out the idle. Also the EGR Vacume is not hooked up the pervious owner cut and blocked stuff off.

PS. Once it gets moving down the high way it cleans up but it hardly idles and some times dies. It also has a hard time getting moving.....I think its getting to much gas....It also seems to be fouling out the plugs/drowning them with to much gas.

-----CAN I JUST REMOVE THE EGR??? HOW DO I DO THAT????

WHAT ELSE COULD BE WRONG???
Old 06-16-2009, 12:59 PM

Ttt
Old 06-16-2009, 01:18 PM
DTR's "Cooler than ice cubes 14 miles North of North Pole" member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
IIrc the bell housing is a cake walk, Not any harder than pulling the trans.

As for the egr. take a look at the Vacuum diagram and find out where the EGR gets it vac. source. (I can't remember the location of the top of my head) Hook it up and see what happens.

Also, put a timing light on it and make sure it is timed right. Probly wouldn't hurt to make sure the plugs, wires, cap and rotor are all in good shape.
Old 06-16-2009, 01:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I believe you can get a manifold with the egr ports plugged and just block off the egr. Done it to my 86 f250 460, never worked right anyways.
Old 06-16-2009, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by rip 112
I believe you can get a manifold with the egr ports plugged and just block off the egr. Done it to my 86 f250 460, never worked right anyways.
Yeah thats what i'm looking into right now. Or finding someway to block off all the vac ports and the EGR.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:30 PM

when I pull the EGR compleatly off and fire it up the engine want to run away and starts speeding up. Now i can control it by covering the vac hole with my thumb to get it to not run away but if I close it off compleatly it dies or at least starts to run like crap again.

PS. This is all with no air cleaner on. and an open carb.
Old 06-22-2009, 11:59 PM

TTT anyone know anything about these motors
Old 06-23-2009, 07:54 AM

I have owned 2 trucks('82 & '84) like yours, but I never had any of the problems you are. I will dig around and look for the repair manuals I still have for them and see if I can help you out.
Old 06-23-2009, 08:09 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Double check the carb linkage and it wouldn't hurt to take it apart and clean/rebuild it. For peace of mind I'd change cap, rotor, plugs, wires and all the fluids/filters especially the fuel filter and install a small one pre-carb. Only three things needed to make it run...air, fuel, spark.
Old 06-23-2009, 11:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You need to invest in a Haynes manual for that truck, it has breakdowns of everything you'd be searching for.
Old 06-23-2009, 04:30 PM

i have done all of whats listed above thanks guys.
Old 06-23-2009, 06:10 PM
Administrator ........ DTR's puttin fires out and workin on big trucks admin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You have a vacuum problem. Those engines were enormously reliant on vacuum and vacuum controls for emissions. Start it and get it to idle, once idling spray some carb clean around the base of the carb and where the intake meets the head. Where ever you have a change in idle while spraying is where you have a leak. I am betting on several melted and or missing vacuum lines and a bad intake gasket or cracked intake manifold. You could also have carbon plugged ports in the intake. The 300's were pretty durable engines as long as they had regular oil changes.

Tim
Old 06-24-2009, 03:54 AM

Tim:

Yeah right now there are vacuum line pulled off every where. But here is the next problem. When I start plugging lines the motor dies again. The only way it seems to want to run is by holding the EGR open.

how would i clean up the carbed up intake ports.

I was also thinking of doing this

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i've been looking at this forum and reading alot on the 4.9L 300 in my '82. I have been looking at making my 300 just simple and EGR free.

I have been looking at this set up

this carb:
http://www.holley.com/0-8007.asp

on this intake:
http://www.cliffordperformance.net/M...gory_Code=F300

with EFI exhaust manifolds.

WOuld I be able to eliminate my EGR safely wiht this set up and what engine could I find a carb like that on in a bone yard or cheaper.

Would this set up work well and be reliable for years to come and also give diecent MPG with my 4 spd man.
Old 07-02-2009, 09:03 AM

well NExt week I start taring my motor apart and getting my DD I-6 Gasser ready for the 4 or 2 bbl carb. Just depends on what I pick up. I'm looking at a 390 holley or an autolite 4100/2100
Old 07-03-2009, 05:59 PM
Administrator ........ DTR's puttin fires out and workin on big trucks admin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would most definitely not put a 4 barrel carb on that. If you plan on overhauling the engine then go for it, if not then it will be to much for it. I would change out or at the very least have the intake dip cleaned.

Good luck, keep us posted.

Quick Reply: HELP!!! '82 F-150 Problems.