Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Help with 10hp Briggs

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2006, 01:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with 10hp Briggs

OK, I got the generator out to get it ready for the ice storm we are supposed to get tonight. Had't been run for about a year. Drained gas and put in some sea foam. Started up and ran a little rough and smoked a little. Took breather cover off to put some carb cleaner in and oil started coming from the carb??? Out in the country where we live, it don't take much for the power to go out so I need to get it going! HELP
Old 02-17-2006, 01:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If it has been outside in the rain you'll have to completly drain tank, carb and all fuel lines to the carb.

Water settles to the bottom of the tank and only a few drops could produce these results.

Rick
Old 02-17-2006, 01:37 PM

I drained the gas and put in fresh. It has been stored inside. I had to take the carb off and clean it up to get it to run at all. I outside running now, but not maintaining 3600 rpm. VERY erratic. With breather cover off, ran smooth but had oil coming out ( checked oil level, OK).????????????
Old 02-17-2006, 01:54 PM

How much oil it it? Any chance of the motor getting knocked over or tilted over badly?

Erratic running sounds like a vaccuume leak or plugged vaccuume passage.
Is there a throttle on this or not?

When you had the carb off did you notice any vaccuume holes or passages in the gasket or on the mating surfaces? These must be free of any obstruction and properly aligned.

Rick
Old 02-17-2006, 05:38 PM

This is kinda strange. I thought what the crap, why not put a load on it to see what it does. Pluged in some power tools and it smoothed out. Hooked it up to the camper and ran great. Even turned on the AC. Unpluged it from the camper and ran like crap . So it runs fine with a load, and bad without?
Old 02-17-2006, 07:06 PM

briggs 10hp generaly have a crank case driven fuel pump. possible you did not hook up hoses to carb properly.
Clark
Old 02-17-2006, 07:20 PM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
We had a similar problem with a 12K natural gas generator. Check your sparkplug. Ours got oil fouled and gave us the exact problems you described. Either clean it or replace it. And make sure the gap is set correct.
Old 02-17-2006, 07:32 PM

Location: In the middle of Weather Dry Creek Farm in Avilla, Arkansas
Morpardan,
Kinda off the subject, but since you're from the Sheridan area. Do you know Pat Ewing or Billy Ables?
Get that generator running right yet? If you do let me know, so if my power goes out, I'll head to your house. I'll even supply the firewood.
Old 02-17-2006, 08:20 PM

Chances are its a gravity fed fuel system, thus no fuel pump. I would check to be sure it wasnt tipped on its side and has oil where it shoudn't. Pull yer plug and check it, and if possibble, change it out. I have the B&S manual for any engine 6-13HP, so if ya need help, hit me up.
Old 02-17-2006, 08:25 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 153 Likes on 119 Posts
After you ran it with a load, was oil still coming from the carb? I am guessing that this problem has diminished.
The rough running could also be caused be the high speed setting not being quite right. Try running this adjustable 'jet' all the way in until it bottoms, but take care to note how many turns it takes. Then back it out to it's original position. Now start the engine and try adjusting this bit by bit either direction and see if it smoothes out. If it does, then try it with a load. It may need a slight tweak to get the mean.
Old 02-17-2006, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by shortround
Morpardan,
Kinda off the subject, but since you're from the Sheridan area. Do you know Pat Ewing or Billy Ables?
Get that generator running right yet? If you do let me know, so if my power goes out, I'll head to your house. I'll even supply the firewood.

I think I know Pat, but not Billy. When I put the air filter and cover back on no more oil came out. I changed the plug, drained all gas and put in fresh with stabil, and changed the oil. I've got it in position and ready to hook up. It seems to do ok as long as it has a load on it. Starting to rain now. I"ve got a 31 mile comute at 5 am to work .

Shortround, I'll make the coffee