Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Hand Cleaner

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2004, 01:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hand Cleaner

Yes, I know, don't I have anything better to post about?

Well, anyways, have been doing allot of wrenching lately. Hands look dirtier than my engine. I use the usual hand cleaners like gojo, or citrus based gojo with pumice, etc. I even use a scrub brush. Just don't seem to get all the crud off. I even used biodiesel since it's a great solvent.

Problem is not that I care what my hands look like, but my job requires (surgical nurse) squeaky clean hands. I just can't seem to get the last of the dirt off. The only thing that seems to work 100% is time.

I think it's the soot in used diesel oil. It just seems to get into the grain of the skin and won't let go. Anybody use anything that they say "hey this stuff is great". I'm willing to try just about any product. If it works. Thanks, Happy New Year, Kevin
Old 12-30-2004, 02:02 PM

Well, I got nothing better to do than reply to a post like this, so here goes. Regular old "Goop" works pretty good for me if you don't let the black stuff get dry on you, ya have to wash your hands as soon as you're done. Also heard of guys using anti-grease dish soaps with sugar mixed in with good result, haven't tried it myself though.
Old 12-30-2004, 02:06 PM

try liquid glove before you work-crud washes off easily with soap and water afterwards. Stuff works pretty well.
Old 12-30-2004, 02:27 PM

The older I get, the wiser I get. I finally started using the blue nitrile rubber gloves at least when I am doing the really dirty jobs. Makes clean up much easier.
Old 12-30-2004, 02:56 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's pretty funny wearing gloves during a brake job or something else really dirty... After you finish you take your gloves off and your hands are so clean they make you arm look black.

I've never had a problem getting clean with regular hand cleaner... Ten minutes with Fast Orange or whatever and my hands are squeeky clean. Then again, it does take about 10 full minutes.
Old 12-30-2004, 03:29 PM
DTR'S Chaplain

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I just have the wife do the wrenching and My hands stay clean and soft....OUCh just kidding Dear!!!
Old 12-30-2004, 03:31 PM

The trick is to not use water when using the hand cleaner. After you clean up with the GoJo Orange hand cleaner, or other brand, you just wash your hands with dish soap. Works great....
Old 12-30-2004, 03:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Try Kresto, its made from ground up walnut shells and works great for us.
Old 12-30-2004, 03:37 PM

Tide.....watch out if you have any cuts though....
Old 12-30-2004, 03:50 PM
Banned

blue nitrile gloves... I won't pick up so much as a screwdriver without a pair of them on!!!

I wash with Fast Orange w/ pumice... it'll get dang near anything off, but nails and cuticles just soak up that black crud... I can't stand it... didn't used to bother me, but like I said, these days, I've ALWAYS got a box of gloves in the truck and another box in the garage.

need to check the oil while fueling up? throw on a pair of gloves... don't have to go in and wash your hands or anything. just pull 'em off when you're done, toss 'em in the trash, and drive on w/ clean dry hands.

Forrest
Old 12-30-2004, 04:04 PM

The gloves are a good idea, I can get plenty from work. The problem is ripping em, and 10 minutes into the job I have blue rubber bracelets. I guess I need to give em a second chance. I have a box of them hanging on the wall now that you mention it.

I have heard of liquid glove. I need to keep an eye out for it. So you say it works?

Yes, I've done the tied thing and yeah it feels good on open cuts and shaved knuckles .

I remember when I was a kid and I worked at the corner gas station bustin tires, they had this powder stuff. You would get your hands wet, take a scoop of it and work it in to your hands. It was a dry powder soap (I think-it burned like tied also) and an abrasive all in one. If I remeber correctly, that worked really well. Does anybody know the name of that stuff and/or how to get it?

Thanks for the replies, I know the goop does pretty well, but not in the grain of the skin. It also does a great job on the new jeans you just got for xmas and already have an oil stain on em. Put it on the stain, let it sit all night and throw em in the wash. The wife will never know. Thanks, Kevin
Old 12-30-2004, 04:11 PM
Banned

I get my blue gloves at NAPA... they're pretty tough... a LOT better than the old vinyl gloves

Forrest
Old 12-30-2004, 04:50 PM

I use my wife's pumice stone that she uses to scrub the rough spots on her feet. If you scrub (more like grinding) hard enough and long enough the dirt WILL come out because you're actually stripping off a few layers of skin with it.
Old 12-30-2004, 05:47 PM

we use Kresto out on the oil rig , works realy good , gojo was just getting it so,so. with this you use a bit of water on your hands .
jman
Old 12-30-2004, 06:00 PM

just some fresh motor oil cleans the hands very nicely.

Quick Reply: Hand Cleaner