Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Ground hog breakroom :)

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 12:51 AM
REALLY old dog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ground hog breakroom :)

Originally Posted by old dog View Post
Headsup fellow DTRotarions !
Eric got this great idea while taking his wife out to dinner Friday night at Tony`s Steak House !
He has graciously ordered a buffet breakfast for tomorrow morning !
It will include Steak & eggs -biscuits & gravy - hash browns -assorted fruits -cornbread -
coffee pho & Tea .
Make sure everyone is aware.
AND A BIG THANK YOU TO ERIC
Sorry guys but I just spent your breakfast money on a new truck. Beans and Wieners all around
Old 01-31-2016, 05:13 AM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by old dog
Originally Posted by old dog View Post
Headsup fellow DTRotarions !
Eric got this great idea while taking his wife out to dinner Friday night at Tony`s Steak House !
He has graciously ordered a buffet breakfast for tomorrow morning !
It will include Steak & eggs -biscuits & gravy - hash browns -assorted fruits -cornbread -
coffee pho & Tea .
Make sure everyone is aware.
AND A BIG THANK YOU TO ERIC
Sorry guys but I just spent your breakfast money on a new truck. Beans and Wieners all around
Thanks for the heads up, Claude. Just indulged. Very good.
Ph00........................................
Have a gudurn,
Bob
Old 01-31-2016, 07:39 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
Good morning all from ..........

Nice spread, thank you. Claude and Eric, do this more often.

Been another hectic week with lots going on. Had to drop all the other jobs that I was doing when the compressor at the orphanage died so I had to rush out and find another one. Fortunately some of the Canadian work team that were here last week donated the money for a new one. Bought a nice new Milwaukee Industrial 5 HP two cylinder cast iron, 220 volt compressor, 60 gallon tank for US$635. Not bad. Installed it and then went to turn it on. Nothing. Checked wiring and voltages, but still no start. Finally discovered that the motor is a three phase motor. They don't work very well on a single phase. Went back to the supplier and they admitted that they made a mistake and have ordered a single phase motor for me. Not sure what the amperage is on this new motor, but am concerned that the supply wires are too thin as I know already that I am pushing things Sure hope that I do not need to run new wires. Will check the voltage at the motor once I get it running.

This is a long weekend for me. Monday is a national holiday, so will stay home for a change. Have been neglecting my poor truck lately and just driving it, so tomorrow will give it some TLC and make sure that everything is tickety boo.

Off to get a coffee and do something useful.
Old 01-31-2016, 08:12 AM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by Mexstan
Good morning all from ..........

Nice spread, thank you. Claude and Eric, do this more often.

Been another hectic week with lots going on. Had to drop all the other jobs that I was doing when the compressor at the orphanage died so I had to rush out and find another one. Fortunately some of the Canadian work team that were here last week donated the money for a new one. Bought a nice new Milwaukee Industrial 5 HP two cylinder cast iron, 220 volt compressor, 60 gallon tank for US$635. Not bad. Installed it and then went to turn it on. Nothing. Checked wiring and voltages, but still no start. Finally discovered that the motor is a three phase motor. They don't work very well on a single phase. Went back to the supplier and they admitted that they made a mistake and have ordered a single phase motor for me. Not sure what the amperage is on this new motor, but am concerned that the supply wires are too thin as I know already that I am pushing things Sure hope that I do not need to run new wires. Will check the voltage at the motor once I get it running.

This is a long weekend for me. Monday is a national holiday, so will stay home for a change. Have been neglecting my poor truck lately and just driving it, so tomorrow will give it some TLC and make sure that everything is tickety boo.

Off to get a coffee and do something useful.
5 hp single phase motor will draw 22 amps running, over 30 starting. Should be wired with 10G on a 30 amp breaker.

Skipped the dogs and beans and made DW and myself omelettes, with a bit of ground buffalo for the meat.
Ouch. Just threw my elbow out patting myself on the back.
Old 01-31-2016, 08:17 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Originally Posted by j_martin
5 hp single phase motor will draw 22 amps running, over 30 starting. Should be wired with 10G on a 30 amp breaker.
About what I figured. Not what I wanted to hear as I presently only have #12 wire. The old compressor was a 3.2 hp.
Old 01-31-2016, 11:14 AM

Received 415 Likes on 317 Posts
Cold this AM at 13° and clear. Just red on the news this morning there is a super storm headed toward us. They are saying it could almost have the intensity of hurricane Sandy by the time it hits the Bearing sea. Locally? Everyone tie down your garbage cans and park your planes into the wind.
Old 01-31-2016, 01:05 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Just made a fast dash to Bowling Green and back taking the Grand Son home. First trip in a LONG time that traffic moved smoothly, even through the 20 mile construction zone.

Came in here for some of the beans and wienies, but somebody licked the kettle clean. Made do with some of DW's Chili she made yesterday!! So there!!!
Old 01-31-2016, 02:49 PM

About what I figured. Not what I wanted to hear as I presently only have #12 wire. The old compressor was a 3.2 hp.
If the run is real short you might get away with 12g wire. The 10g is for safety with a 30 amp breaker. 30A is a bit much for 12G.

On second thought, if you wired a 3p motor into a 1p circuit without knowing it, you'd better get a little help.
Old 01-31-2016, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by j_martin
If the run is real short you might get away with 12g wire. The 10g is for safety with a 30 amp breaker. 30A is a bit much for 12G.

On second thought, if you wired a 3p motor into a 1p circuit without knowing it, you'd better get a little help.

Oh, I need help for sure Maybe in more ways than one! I had ***-u-me-d that the motor was a single phase and wired it accordingly. Well, sort of. It was only when it did not start and I took a real close look at the plate on the motor that I realized my stupid mistake, especially as the starter had L1, L2 and L3 connections and not just L1 and L2. Seriously tho', I do know how to wire this in.

One question, have been told that the new motor (not seen it yet) has two capacitors mounted on it. With the capacitors, does it still need a starter, or can the starter be omitted and the motor wired directly to the pressure switch?

The compressor is approximately 60 feet from the main panel so maybe #10 wire is borderline? Perhaps I should use #8 for the run from the main panel to the breaker next to the compressor as my AWG chart shows a 2.7 voltage drop for that length of run at 22 amps? Will be there on Tuesday, so will take accurate measurements and also check the wire size feeding the main panel. The distance from the secondary breaker/switch to the compressor is only about 5 feet, so can use #10 for that.
Old 01-31-2016, 08:39 PM

Oh, I need help for sure Maybe in more ways than one! I had ***-u-me-d that the motor was a single phase and wired it accordingly. Well, sort of. It was only when it did not start and I took a real close look at the plate on the motor that I realized my stupid mistake, especially as the starter had L1, L2 and L3 connections and not just L1 and L2. Seriously tho', I do know how to wire this in.

One question, have been told that the new motor (not seen it yet) has two capacitors mounted on it. With the capacitors, does it still need a starter, or can the starter be omitted and the motor wired directly to the pressure switch?

The compressor is approximately 60 feet from the main panel so maybe #10 wire is borderline? Perhaps I should use #8 for the run from the main panel to the breaker next to the compressor as my AWG chart shows a 2.7 voltage drop for that length of run at 22 amps? Will be there on Tuesday, so will take accurate measurements and also check the wire size feeding the main panel. The distance from the secondary breaker/switch to the compressor is only about 5 feet, so can use #10 for that.
3% is considered nominal allowed voltage drop. At 30 amps, 10 g wire would be sufficient. I'm assuming a 5 hp compressor has an unloader valve on it. 30 amps should start a CSCR motor with an unloaded compressor.

I seriously doubt your pressure switch is rated for 5 hp. That's what the motor starter (relay) is for. Pilot (coil) current on the motor starter is a small fraction of the total load.
Old 01-31-2016, 08:44 PM

Thanks for the answer. Yes, the pressure switch has the standard unloader valve.
I am sure that you are correct about the amp rating for the pressure switch, so will use a starter.
Old 02-01-2016, 10:49 AM

Received 415 Likes on 317 Posts
In keeping with the ground hog theme, here is some sausage patties and links. Fresh STRONG coffee, not that wimpy stuff. Cinnamon raisin toast. And scrambled eggs.
10°. Need to find a spot that isn't a sheet of ice so I can transfer fuel.
Old 02-01-2016, 12:18 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Heeeeere Phil........
Attached Thumbnails Ground hog breakroom :)-ground-hog.jpg  
Old 02-01-2016, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by Shovelhead
Heeeeere Phil........
I've seen that sight pattern before. You should see what one of them things does to a row of young cabbage.
Old 02-01-2016, 10:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
30 degrees with wet heavy snow falling.

Reminding me of Pennsylvania.

Quick Reply: Ground hog breakroom :)