Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Grand Rapids Area

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 02:40 PM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grand Rapids Area

It looks like the wife and I will be relocating to Grand Rapids for at least a year.

Anyone from there, have any suggestions on where to look for a house, good places to live, places to avoid.

It'll be me, the wife and our then 3 month old daughter!

We'll be moving in Late July or early August.

Any help would be great!

Thanks guys and gals!
Old 01-21-2008, 03:52 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CODODGE2500MAN
It looks like the wife and I will be relocating to Grand Rapids for at least a year.

Anyone from there, have any suggestions on where to look for a house, good places to live, places to avoid.

It'll be me, the wife and our then 3 month old daughter!

We'll be moving in Late July or early August.

Any help would be great!

Thanks guys and gals!
I like it out here, moved here about 5 years ago I guess. I'm just a tad south of Grand Rapids in Kalamazoo. I'm sure there are places to stay away from in Grand Rapids but I don't know off the top of my head what they'd be. I'll find out tho.

You oughta be able to find a place cheap right now as houses and apartments are going cheap. Most everyone is LEAVING Michigan, not coming TO it!

Redleg will also be a helpful resource for you. He works just north of GR and knows the area pretty darn well!

chaikwa.
Old 01-21-2008, 05:20 PM
Chapter President

Thanks very much for the reply!

Let me know what you find out about where to be and where not to be.

Everyone leaving because of the cold?

Thanks again!
Old 01-21-2008, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by chaikwa
You oughta be able to find a place cheap right now as houses and apartments are going cheap. Most everyone is LEAVING Michigan, not coming TO it!
I miss living in Michigan. Had to leave for the career's sake, but I miss living in Kalamazoo. I've never met people like the ones from Michigan. It's a great state, I'm sad to see it declining.
Old 01-21-2008, 08:59 PM
Administrator

I've been told th at any of the surrounding suburbs of GR are pretty decent; Kentwood, Wyoming, Grandville, Rockford, Hudsonville, Cascade, Caledonia, etc. Prob'ly a good idea to stay out of the city itself and I've heard Comstock Park isn't the nicest of places either.

People are leavin' Michigan because of the rotten economy and job market.

Hope this helps!

chaikwa.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:25 AM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by chaikwa
I've been told th at any of the surrounding suburbs of GR are pretty decent; Kentwood, Wyoming, Grandville, Rockford, Hudsonville, Cascade, Caledonia, etc.

Thanks a ton! That's pretty much what I've been finding. I'll be going to the city for classes, but I think the wifey and lil' girl will appreciate a peaceful suburb!
Old 01-23-2008, 08:55 AM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

Stay away from the SE side of Grand Rapids. NE side is allright north of Leonard street, mostly. That's if you want to live in the city. Wyoming and Kentwood have some bad spots. ADa, Cascade, Belmont and Rockford are real nice, but start getting pricey. Lot of stuff for sale, maybe by summer the sellers will realize it finally and prices will start comeing down. Lowell, Sparta and Cedar springsand Greenvile are a little further out, but nice and more affordable. Hint- the south end of the county and wyoming and kentwood seem to get the weatherbands off the lake and are prone to outages. It's a good place with lots to do. If you're an outdoorsman, you'll love Michigan.
Don

Which school?
Old 01-23-2008, 09:05 AM

I moved from Cleveland to Ada 6 years ago and love the GR area... I would give Lowell serious consideration... Great town about 20 minutes east of GR proper...

PM me if you have any specific questions I can answer..

Bryan
Old 01-23-2008, 11:53 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Redleg
Stay away from the SE side of Grand Rapids. NE side is allright north of Leonard street, mostly. That's if you want to live in the city. Wyoming and Kentwood have some bad spots. ADa, Cascade, Belmont and Rockford are real nice, but start getting pricey. Lot of stuff for sale, maybe by summer the sellers will realize it finally and prices will start comeing down. Lowell, Sparta and Cedar springsand Greenvile are a little further out, but nice and more affordable. Hint- the south end of the county and wyoming and kentwood seem to get the weatherbands off the lake and are prone to outages. It's a good place with lots to do. If you're an outdoorsman, you'll love Michigan.
Don

Which school?
See? I told ya he'd know!

chaikwa.