Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Good places to live in Montana?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 06:52 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good places to live in Montana?

My wife and I are just checking around...nothing anytime soon (I still have a few years with the Navy before we will be making any sort of decisions on buying a home) but where are some good areas? We want good land...kinda remote so that I can hunt and all that, but an area that has a pretty good economy as well. I know that sometimes it's kinda hard to balance the two, but if any of ya'll folks from Montana could give us some reference, we would be greatly appreciative.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:38 AM
Banned

There are alot but Bozeman is nice or around there because you have Yellowstone close, Big Sky, the Gallitan river and still have a fairly good size town to shop and stuff.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:43 AM

i second what he said. my wife grew up in bozeman and we get there twice a year to visit family. all the big box stores plus a great college. they are building housing fast as you can. now if you want the older montana try livingston even though most towns are getting touristy.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:16 AM

Lot of places that I liked in Montana. Up near Glacier Nation Park, Annacona,
Bozman, Butte, Miles City, Helena. All worth looking up on the web. Missoula sets in a bowl and sometimes has a smog problem, othewise it might be worth a look see. Montana is big and open.
Another place that is worth a look to retire is Cour-de-Alene, Idaho, or Boise.
Happy hunting.
Old 07-09-2007, 01:24 PM
DTR College Boy and FUN SIZED!!!!!!!!!!

My whole family is from Montana. Grew up in Ronan/Polson. Next to Flathead lake. Wouldn't trade it for nothing. If you want a bigger populous, check out Missoula, Butte, Bozeman.

Josh
Old 07-11-2007, 10:36 AM
Banned

Thanks ya'll...I appreciate it! My wife and I aren't looking to retire, just move to a quieter place that we can STILL find a job fairly easily. I am only 25 and she is 24! LOL She is a nurse and won't really have a problem finding a job I wouldn't think, but I would be working doing something in the electronics field. Thanks again guys!
Old 07-11-2007, 10:47 AM
Banned

my buddy(capnram) lives in great falls. got out of the navy and got a civil service job at malstrom afb. right in town. i have been there a few times. it is a nice place.
Old 07-11-2007, 10:58 AM

If she's a nurse then she will not have any problems finding a job. There is a shortage right now and word has it that there is a new hospital that will be built in Belgrade which is 9 miles to the West of Bozeman. If you are in the electronics field then you should be able to find a job as well. Lots of tech stuff in the Gallatin Valley. The housing prices may shock you though. They aren't bad if you stay about 20 miles outside of Bozeman and commute. These towns include but aren't limited to Three Forks, Manhattan, Livingston and Belgrade.
Old 07-11-2007, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by staarma
If she's a nurse then she will not have any problems finding a job. There is a shortage right now and word has it that there is a new hospital that will be built in Belgrade which is 9 miles to the West of Bozeman. If you are in the electronics field then you should be able to find a job as well. Lots of tech stuff in the Gallatin Valley. The housing prices may shock you though. They aren't bad if you stay about 20 miles outside of Bozeman and commute. These towns include but aren't limited to Three Forks, Manhattan, Livingston and Belgrade.

20 miles, thats too close for me.
Old 07-12-2007, 10:23 AM

one more thing, try to fit in as apposed to be yourself.
Old 07-12-2007, 10:29 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by MTGunNut
one more thing, try to fit in as apposed to be yourself.
You mean like I cant get mad if your dog runs through my yard in Montana
Old 07-12-2007, 11:17 AM

lol, only if it's chasing livestock.

Don't profess your love for wolves, buffalo, cappacino/Starbucks, liberals, trees, bambi (unless you are talking about taste), Ted Turner/Jane Fonda, granola, Birkenstocks, hairy armpits on women, etc. The list is much longer but that's about as far as I can get away with without a firm talking to and a finger shake.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:23 AM
Banned

Don't profess your love for wolves, buffalo, cappacino/Starbucks, liberals, trees, bambi (unless you are talking about taste), Ted Turner/Jane Fonda, granola, Birkenstocks, hairy armpits on women, etc. The list is much longer but that's about as far as I can get away with without a firm talking to and a finger shake.
hahaahahahhahha i went up there huntin a couple years back with a buddy from bozeman we went on some of ol turner land and a couple of is cronies came after us and as far as wolves go the 3 s's work for me
Old 07-12-2007, 11:45 AM

Yah, if you want all that stuff, try Missoula - college town and getting more yuppified by the day, from all reports.

BIL lives in Hot Springs, Sanders County - due west from Ronan and south end of the Flathead. Wonderful country, and the land is still cheaper than most of the state - banana belt of Montana. BUT the county is economically very slow.. make that depressed... or suicidal, LOL!
Up the the north end of the lake, Kalispell is gorgeous, and was booming when I was there last year for the Event at Rebecca Farm - tons of new construction, business moving in, etc. It was bloody HOT in July - and I had the pleasure of seeing more big diesel pickups and trucks pulling BIG trailers, being expertly driven by more little bitty women than you guys can even imagine! Like 200+ rigs... it was a sight to behold. Anyhow, Kalispell is lovely - I would move there in a heartbeat if I could do it.
Old 07-12-2007, 12:31 PM

Kalispel is expensive like Bozeman. Funny comment about the girls towing big trailers. Horses are big time up there. We see gals that can't hardly see over the wheel herding about 23k lbs. down the road haulin the mail too. Big living quarter horse trailers with tach and changing rooms with a 3 slant load. It's amazing. The International CXT's and Freightliner FL series crew cab tractors are becoming very popular for towing around here these days. Lots of money moving in around here from somewhere...and they ain't working at Lowe's or Walmart I can tell you that. They're buying multi million dollar hobby ranches and farms with all of the trimmings too.

Quick Reply: Good places to live in Montana?