Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Good News Breakroom - Aug 14 - 20

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2016, 05:02 AM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Good News Breakroom - Aug 14 - 20

Got good news 4U this morning. You are up, breathing, you have food in the fridge, a whole new week of new adventures, and best of all, God loves ya. Now, what more could you ask? Well, I know - - maybe win the lottery, or a new car or truck. But, let's be thankful for what we have and make the best of it.

Put on fresh ph00 and coffee to start this week along with a catered breakfast from Cracker Barrel. Enjoy. Sit around a chat a while and get to know one another a little better.

Repeat after me - - this is going to be a great week. Now, let's go make it one. Have fun.

Bob
Old 08-14-2016, 06:33 AM

Received 2,392 Likes on 1,576 Posts
Thanks Bob!
I am off to the shop to start a great week.
Old 08-14-2016, 07:19 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Got up early and put a big pot of chili on. I'll bring in the leftovers!

Just a "piddle around the shop" kinda day planned.

Have a good one!
Old 08-14-2016, 08:49 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
Good morning from ................................ Paradise. Well, why not? Lots of high cloud today, but still great weather.

Thanks Bob for the good news, good grub etc. I really enjoy the Cracker Barrel breakfasts. Next month when I am traveling in the States will look for some.

I sincerely believe that our words are very powerful and what we say about ourselves can either condemn us or build us up, so take heed of what WiseBob is saying. There is book I like to read most mornings to start my day. It is; " I Declare, 31 promises to speak over your life", by Joel Osteen. One promise a day only takes a minute or two to read, but gives a nice kick start to a very positive day.
Old 08-14-2016, 09:50 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Hi
Bye
Old 08-14-2016, 10:40 AM

Received 414 Likes on 316 Posts
Cold. Still raining. Animals are gathering 2 by 2. Was up most of the night because I couldn't breath. Sinuses are completely blocked.
Old 08-14-2016, 12:28 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Contemplating taking a trip to the Zenith Aircraft factory. Couple of my friends have built their planes. Wonder if I should talk to DW first????????
Old 08-14-2016, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Scotty

Hi
Bye
Wow, you sure are talkative today. .......................................

Great lunch today after church, then home for some clean up stuff in the garage. L8R
Old 08-15-2016, 08:24 AM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Well, I'm upright and taking nourishment. Both good signs I hear.

Got a problem to solve. Shredded a tire off the 2002 Sunnybrook fifth wheel last time out. The only protection over the tires is a fabric moisture barrier. That is shredded also, exposing the wooden floor structure in the camper. How to fix I don't know.

Originally Posted by Mexstan
Was doing some maintenance work outside on my house yesterday and thinking how different this work is compared to the average American or Canadian house. My house is now almost 20 years old and some of the concrete is spalling off. Instead of wood work repairs as most of you do, I need to use concrete and rebar.
I spent a brief time in Mexico trying to help build a children's home. They were making concrete bricks for the double wall structures that are common there. After dry packing (damp, stiff, really) the bricks and slipping the forms, they'd leave them in the sun to dry, then put them in a building to prevent theft.

I mentioned that the bricks would be a lot stronger if they put them inside right away and kept them moist for a few days. I was told in no uncertain terms that this (sun drying) is the way we've done it forever and it won't change. Shame, really. The bricks were crumbly crap and didn't need to be.

Coffee and ph00 are on. Leftover charcoal cooked bass and fried eggs for breakfast. Enjoy.
Old 08-15-2016, 10:14 AM

Morning all. Nice warm day in sunny Florida. Off to the glaucoma doc for both of us this morning. Great way to start the week. Report on wifey was good, mine not so good - - still too much pressure. Oh boy.

Originally Posted by j_martin
Well, I'm upright and taking nourishment. Both good signs I hear.

Got a problem to solve. Shredded a tire off the 2002 Sunnybrook fifth wheel last time out. The only protection over the tires is a fabric moisture barrier. That is shredded also, exposing the wooden floor structure in the camper. How to fix I don't know.

Coffee and ph00 are on. Leftover charcoal cooked bass and fried eggs for breakfast. Enjoy.
Glad to here you are coming around a bit. Can be slow. Grabbed a ph00 and some bass - - - yummy.

The moisture barrier is called Darco. Most RV supplies have repair pieces you can buy. If it is fastened to steel framework, there is usually a metal band screwed into the frame holding the Darco in place. If not, staples into the wood. Joints in the Darco are held in place with 100mph tape (common name among the mechanics), or better known as Gorilla tape - - the black stuff that you don't let stick to you or you will also be adhered to the trailer.

Have a great one. Bob
Old 08-15-2016, 06:02 PM

Received 2,392 Likes on 1,576 Posts
I had a couple of big Mopar friends in town to visit their mom of her 70th birthday.
One lives in AZ the other in AK.
It was good to see the old boys over lunch at the local buger shack.
I showed up in my old '85 white crew cab that I bought off them a dozen or so years ago.
I have since they owned it swapped it to 12V power from the old 360 gasser, modified the suspension and in general turned it into the truck I wanted to build.
We have been buying, trading and selling each other Mopars or just Mo-parts for almost 20 years now.
We talked about the [Mopar] project we are working on and just caught up in general

Good start to they great week Bob promised!
Good times for sure.
Old 08-15-2016, 07:51 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Originally Posted by sherod
Contemplating taking a trip to the Zenith Aircraft factory. Couple of my friends have built their planes. Wonder if I should talk to DW first????????

Do you know that Chris Heintz started all that in Canada? If you go and do NOT talk to your wife first, please let us know the state of your health after you return.

Originally Posted by j_martin
I spent a brief time in Mexico trying to help build a children's home. They were making concrete bricks for the double wall structures that are common there. After dry packing (damp, stiff, really) the bricks and slipping the forms, they'd leave them in the sun to dry, then put them in a building to prevent theft.

I mentioned that the bricks would be a lot stronger if they put them inside right away and kept them moist for a few days. I was told in no uncertain terms that this (sun drying) is the way we've done it forever and it won't change. Shame, really. The bricks were crumbly crap and didn't need to be.

A lot of the old timers down here are quite resistant to change, but I have discovered that more and more are quite eager to learn new things and try them. The Mexican's generally are very good with concrete and can quickly build some amazing structures, but all too often have watched them mix a lot of cement by hand and then all day keep adding water to keep it usable. By the end of the day, that mix is not very strong and in a few years starts to crumble.

The day down here started with some high cloud, but that vanished and the entire day turned out just fantastic. As I type this it is now 78F and 28% humidity with a blue sky. Not complaining!
Old 08-15-2016, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by FiverBob
The moisture barrier is called Darco. Most RV supplies have repair pieces you can buy. If it is fastened to steel framework, there is usually a metal band screwed into the frame holding the Darco in place. If not, staples into the wood. Joints in the Darco are held in place with 100mph tape (common name among the mechanics), or better known as Gorilla tape - - the black stuff that you don't let stick to you or you will also be adhered to the trailer.

Have a great one. Bob
Bob, here's the carnage. Sounds like a piece of the material and some tape will do it. Is that stuff the same as the fabric used over Round Top covered frame sheds? I have some of that from a recover project.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...damage-325860/
Old 08-16-2016, 07:15 AM

Good morning peoples, sheeples and what else inhabits this site.

Another great looking day dawning down here in Paradise. Fresh coffee and ph00 awaits to get you moving.

Going to start my day with a machete and a chain saw. Did a lot of tree trimming a few days ago, so today is the day to clean up and consolidate the pile.

j_m, I had similar damage a few years ago. Did not have access to any similar material to make a proper repair, so just repaired the damaged wood and then painted over everything with a few coats of very thick chassis paint. Drove the RV thru lots of water after the repair and kept an eye on the repair but never saw any evidence that any water got thru my repair to the wood underneath. Found this paint at a local paint store. It is extremely thick and needs to be applied with a stiff brush. Worked well for me.
Old 08-16-2016, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Mexstan
Good morning peoples, sheeples and what else inhabits this site.

Another great looking day dawning down here in Paradise. Fresh coffee and ph00 awaits to get you moving.

Going to start my day with a machete and a chain saw. Did a lot of tree trimming a few days ago, so today is the day to clean up and consolidate the pile.

j_m, I had similar damage a few years ago. Did not have access to any similar material to make a proper repair, so just repaired the damaged wood and then painted over everything with a few coats of very thick chassis paint. Drove the RV thru lots of water after the repair and kept an eye on the repair but never saw any evidence that any water got thru my repair to the wood underneath. Found this paint at a local paint store. It is extremely thick and needs to be applied with a stiff brush. Worked well for me.
Thanks for the suggestion. It's looking like I can just use either 4" or 6" specialty tape (Scrim Shield or Flex Mend) in 2 passes and call it good. Hole should trim up to a neat 4" x 24".

Quick Reply: Good News Breakroom - Aug 14 - 20