Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Getting XM

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2003, 08:57 PM
VPI

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting XM

Went to Best Buy tonight to buy a new lap top and came home with a lap top and a new XM system ;D. I am going to let them install tomorrow at noon. I went with the Delph portable system. I am going through a FM modulator so it should sound pretty good. I have been wanting XM for a while. I got this system so I can switch from car to car.

In case any one is wondering the lap top is an HP 17" full key board and number pad. 60 GIG hard drive 512 Meg of ram. Been wantign this since I firs saw it also.

Nothing left for Santa to bring but a bill :.
Old 11-13-2003, 06:15 AM

Re:Getting XM

VPI,
I also recently upgraded to get XM and I think you are going to love it . I can now be brain-washed by right-wing news instead of left-wing news during the drive to work in the morning .
Enjoy!

The Boss Hog
(Hail to the Chief!)
Old 11-13-2003, 07:22 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have been sitting on the fence between Sirius and XM radio. My buds all run XM radios. Seems like the RAZ radio is Sirius ready, just need the module.

VPI, you will love that 17" wide screen. I call those big laptops "Desknotes". I have the smaller HP Compaq 15.4" widescreen and it's great for watching DVDs, playing games and for work. ;D

MikeyB
Old 11-13-2003, 10:20 AM

Am curious about the RAZ radio statement. I know when I bought the truck the salesman said something about being satelite ready, just needed the antenna .

I went back to the dealer later and the service guy just looked at me funny.

I went to a store and asked about adding the antenna. They just wanted to sell me a whole new stereo system.

My stereo says RAZ, but I could not find any reference to being satelite ready in the owners manual. I considered buying a FM modulator type, but really do not want all of the wires hanging around (power cord, antenna hanging out a window, etc,.).

Any experiences with this?
Old 11-13-2003, 11:52 AM

There is a plug in module and a antenna for the RAZ radio. It's for Sirius satellite radio only.

MikeyB
Old 11-13-2003, 02:56 PM

I got Sirius really because I didn't want to spend a lot of money. The whole setup (HU that also plays MP3 CDs), Sirius reciever and Antenna were $210 shipped from Crutchfield.

I haven't really figured out how to get around the 100+ channels in an efficient manner but it seems like you definitely can't flip through all channels without stopping to listen to something!
Old 11-13-2003, 03:18 PM

Thanks for the info MikeyB.

I still am at a loss for where to get this setup. Any further info would be extremely appreciated.

My factory stereo has the letters RAZ in the lower left portion of the CD. Until now I have had no idea what this meant. Is this the same as that to which you refer?

I really need the satelite radio. I spend hours on the freeway daily and it seems that I have aged beyond the point of appreciating contemporary radio!
Old 11-13-2003, 05:20 PM

EdsGarage, the module is available from your local Dodge dealer or Dodge mailorder parts houses.
Not sure what the RAZ means other than just a option code. But it does have lot's of neat features. It can display the station ID, song title and singer if the station is broadcasting the code.

MikeyB
Old 11-13-2003, 07:43 PM

Good Day!
I just had Sirius radio added to my truck. It is wonderful. I used the Mopar parts and it fit seamlessly with the current radio head. The technition did a super job of installing the antenna and threading the cables.
I love having no commercials and the variety is fine indeed.

Old 11-13-2003, 07:56 PM

Thanks again!

I appreciate the assistance.

I assume that I am the first to ask the service guy about the module. He showed it to me in a manual, but knew nothing about the interface with the factory radio. He seemed to think I needed a whole new receiver.
Old 11-13-2003, 07:57 PM
VPI

It's in and working ;D. I have only had a little time to listen to it but so far I like it. The only down side: I am going to have to get the wife one for her Jetta .
Old 11-14-2003, 01:10 AM

I have factory Sirius installed in the Old School Ram. The music is quite good for the most part, and it is a real blessing out here where the radio stations are few and far between. However, I am getting quite sick of all the liberal crap that seems to be part of Sirius. For instance they have the OUTQ which is the heavily advertised gay and lesbian station..OK that's definately not my bag so don't tune to the stream, however the commercials for that stream are everywhere, which makes it tough to avoid. And the comedy channel is at least 90% stand up Gay acts who love to remind you at least 10 times during the routine that they are gay. Then there is this Icicle Network which is constantly running these ultra liberal enviro-whacko ads..even on Sirius Right, which is supposed to be a conservative stream....Anybody else noticed this? I'm considering yarding the whole system out and switching to XM, or is it the same there? Input?
Old 11-14-2003, 04:54 AM

Wow,
No, I didn't know that. I should say that I'm fairly conservative and would not like feeling inundated with radical libral tripe. But I honestly don't hear that from Sirius.

[quote author=Old School link=board=10;threadid=22363;start=0#msg209538 date=1068793841]
I have factory Sirius installed in the Old School Ram. The music is quite good for the most part, and it is a real blessing out here where the radio stations are few and far between. However, I am getting quite sick of all the liberal crap that seems to be part of Sirius. For instance they have the OUTQ which is the heavily advertised gay and lesbian station..OK that's definately not my bag so don't tune to the stream, however the commercials for that stream are everywhere, which makes it tough to avoid. And the comedy channel is at least 90% stand up Gay acts who love to remind you at least 10 times during the routine that they are gay. Then there is this Icicle Network which is constantly running these ultra liberal enviro-whacko ads..even on Sirius Right, which is supposed to be a conservative stream....Anybody else noticed this? I'm considering yarding the whole system out and switching to XM, or is it the same there? Input?
[/quote]
Old 11-15-2003, 09:15 PM

Got me some XM action installed this evening. The non portable version from Delphi. Looks pretty sweet. Right now I'm waiting for my radio to get activated. (1 hour).
Old 11-16-2003, 06:37 PM
VPI

It rained here today and I just happend to notice that above the third brake light where they ran the wire for the antena is leaking >. I will be goign back tomorrow to have this fixed. Just makes me mad. Other than that I am still enjoying the XM.

Quick Reply: Getting XM