Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Getting taken advantage of at the dealership

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 10:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting taken advantage of at the dealership

To keep the wife happy, and allowing me to spend money on the truck, I bought and installed the hands-free 'U-connect' module in her 09 Sebring convertible. In addition to the $250 for the module, they want $85 to flash the PCM. Without the flash, the system won't work. I asked the service manager if that price included the vaseline. His response was, " No, vaseline is not included. If we installed it, we have a 55 gallon drum of KY Jelly, for an additional charge." I just hope she's happy, cause if Momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:20 AM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
If you didn't like the price why did you pay it?
Old 03-08-2011, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
If you didn't like the price why did you pay it?
Because she wants the u connect system. $85 to tell the car " You have a chrysler, hands free module, now work." is a bit much. Plus, with the price gouging, that is the price no matter which rape shop you go to.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:29 AM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
As a consumer you have the right to shop for the best price on a product and service, we have found that parts and labor varies a great deal from Dealer to Dealer.

I am not sure why you are calling them a rape shop though, they have overhead and employees to pay and to do so they MUST charge for their services. Do you work for free? or do you get paid for your labor?
Old 03-08-2011, 11:56 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Lary, I can side with both of you...

My old dealership would charge me 20 bucks for something like this... a 1/4 hour labor... they had common sense. Dude grabs the scan tool, walks out to the truck, does it, walks back in. Everyone wins.

However, in the past, I have had to search around for a dealer that would help me out. In a lot of places, a dodge dealer is not the only place that can do that.
Old 03-08-2011, 12:04 PM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I don't agree with a lot of charges from the dealerships and I work for one. Its a 2 sided coin. dealership has to make money to stay open, customer wants a product but the dealership should use their heads on cases like this. I agree with Mark. $20 and 10 minutes later (cause starscan is slower than a 7 year itch) and its done. Matter of fact, I usually grab the scanner and do it myself in the drive when we are not busy and the customer brings back breakfast burritos! LOL

FOOD AT MY PLACE BRINGS YA TO THE FRONT OF THE LINE! LOL
Old 03-08-2011, 06:10 PM

I figured $30-$50 to do it. Not $103 after taxes, fees, shop supplies(?), ect.
Old 03-08-2011, 06:20 PM
Chapter President

always remember you have the right to challenge any charges.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:52 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

Im starting to like my nissan dealer more. They have been a chevy dealer for 73 years. Couple weeks ago, I had my 06 X in for a recall while my daughter was working on the paper work for a car. the tech done the recall work in about 5 minutes and never stop talking on his cell phone (it was a relay board replacement, one screw and a couple clips to pop one out and the other one in). I mentioned a TPMS sensor not working to the service manager and the tech sat the old relay board down and picked up his scanner and spent another 5 minutes walking around the vehicle. He said the right rear was putting out a weak signal and would probably need replaced, but the reprogram would work for a while.
No charge, no ticket, never stopped talking on his phone.
Old 03-12-2011, 09:33 PM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
$85? your complaining about paying $85?

Pretty cheap shop rates if you ask me...

We charge $95 an hour (edit: minimum one hour) plus a $40 trip charge (if we need to go to site)

Yes, I get some pretty dumb service calls. "my phone is not working..."

Me: "there, It was unplugged. Let me plug it back in..." (yes, that really happens) That'll be $135 plus taxes please...

There are times that face to face time is less than 10 minutes that includes finding out what the problem is, finding a solution, asking "is there anything else?" and getting the work order signed.

Your not paying for my time, your paying for my experiance and skill to execute an immediate solution to your problem and to do it right the first time.
Old 03-13-2011, 12:35 PM
Chapter President

^^^ we are at $105. its crazy
Old 03-13-2011, 12:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by westcoaster
We charge $95 an hour (edit: minimum one hour) plus a $40 trip charge (if we need to go to site)
[snip]
There are times that face to face time is less than 10 minutes that includes finding out what the problem is, finding a solution, asking "is there anything else?" and getting the work order signed.

Your not paying for my time, your paying for my experiance and skill to execute an immediate solution to your problem and to do it right the first time.
I recall hearing of someone who was in that situation with a plumber and told that plumber that for the rest of the hour, he wanted every faucet and toilet checked. He figured that since he was paying for the time, he was going to use that "experience". Makes sense to me.
Old 03-13-2011, 12:49 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
My inlaws took their aging 99 Camry into the dealership where they bought it because it was running rough. Over the years I have learned to when they choose to go there.
They paid 14.95 per spark plug, 70.00 for an oil change and 430.00 in labor and 54.00 for three gaskets. Total was just shy of 700.00! The car still ran rough so they are taking it back tomorrow for an ignition coil for 250 and will be another 400 or more lighter in the pocket book.
They choose to go there and it works for them even though they know its expensive. I have offered to assist with the maintenance and sourcing out the parts at the other dealer in town for less money. However, they seem to have a loyalty there and I leave it alone now.
The car is tired and they need a new one. That in itself is yet another big issue between mother inlaw and father inlaw that I will stay clear of.

I just got off the phone with a buddy of mine. He had to go to the dealer for a couple of parts. I asked him how that went. His reply...
"My bum hurts."
Old 03-13-2011, 01:04 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by firestorm
I figured $30-$50 to do it. Not $103 after taxes, fees, shop supplies(?), ect.
Guess how much a scanner cost to reflash your computer.
Old 03-13-2011, 01:10 PM
Administrator ........ DTR's puttin fires out and workin on big trucks admin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cbrahs
^^^ we are at $105. its crazy

Our truck repair labor rate- $95.00 hr. Recovery work is substantially higher.

Quick Reply: Getting taken advantage of at the dealership