Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Generator Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2006, 10:21 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Generator Question

My folks are looking at getting one for this hurricane season. We need one to run the pump on our well, our septic system, and fridge. What size do yall think we need? We've got a 500 gal propane tank on our land so if they can run on propane that'd be sweet. Thanks yall.
Old 03-29-2006, 10:45 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 153 Likes on 119 Posts
You will not need one very big. How many HP is are the two pumps?
Old 03-29-2006, 10:58 PM
Banned

I'll have to get back to you on that. I honestly have no clue. All I know is that they are big enough to service 7 bathrooms (complete with toilets) and the laundry room and the wash rack for the horses.
Old 03-29-2006, 11:12 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 153 Likes on 119 Posts
Somebody else will probably soon chime in and correct me, but I am guessing that each pump is no more than 1.5 HP and may only be .75 HP. So that means a 3000 watt generator should be sufficient, but if you want lots of reserve then a 4500 or 5000 watt should be more than enough. Don't forget to figure in how many lights will be on when the power goes out.
Old 03-29-2006, 11:22 PM
Banned

Lights ain't a problem. We've got more windows than a glass shop and more candles than a candle maker. Not to mention our house faces east and west so we got the full Texas sun. Light is not a problem. I do know that on the pumps there is at least a 100 yard run between the house and pump stations.
Old 03-29-2006, 11:22 PM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
If possible avoid the propane driven stuff for emergency use- if a line gets kinked it's no problem to repair it for a gasoline or diesel line, but propane will have to be done very precise.
Personally my opinion of gensets is the bigger the better- all electric motors will draw significantly more current while starting than while they are running at the rated rpm.
After you have been hit you will want do run some power tools to do quick repairs.
For standard homes over here I usually recommend at least 10 kW, 3 phase (welding machines)
For farms 20-25kW seem to keep them running.
You will want to rig up a device that completely disconnects your house from the grid while the genset is running- (Reason is you won't be able to supply the rest of the grid with your genset, but you'll be perfectly capable of frying the repair man on his pole assuming the power is off)
HTH

AlpineRAM
Old 03-29-2006, 11:52 PM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
http://www.onan.com/onan/homestandby...rdid=prod60004

Keep it in the family (cummins)

edit:
here is their power draw chart...
http://www.onan.com/onan/homestandby...etSelector.jsp
Old 03-30-2006, 06:50 AM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If costs is not a big issue, check the Northern Tools website and get an idea on what is available for the whole house. Also, I believe there is an interface available that allows you to swith back and forth without hurting your electrical system or the repair guy on the pole.
Old 03-30-2006, 07:06 AM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

If the run from the well to the house is 100 foot and figure the well is probably 50-100 foot deep, then your probably running at LEAST a 1.5 to 3 HP pump. Mine is a 200 foot well and 50 foot run and we runa 3.5 HP pump and it is barely adequate. If I remember correctly off the top of my head, it is on a 100 amp service breaker.( I may be wrong on that, I am not certain)
The main thing to look at there is the peak amp draw per pump.
It shouldnt take a very big generator to handle two or three pumps, but I would check on the amperages and get in touch with an eletrician for advise..

on edit: I got home and checked, mine is on a double pole 30...
Old 03-30-2006, 08:03 AM
Administrator

I'm looking for a 10 to 12kw diesel to hook up to my home heating oil tank. That is a good size generator and would work well on your propane tank too. It won't be worked to death, for me at least, and I usually keep the tank half full atleast. Those little gas jobs are ok, I have a 6500 watt Generac HD construction model but it just screams when not loaded up almost to the max. When Isabelle came through a few years ago, power was out for 13 1/2 days. It did OK but I only ran it about four hours in the morning and four in the evening. I don't think it would have run all 13 days.
Old 03-30-2006, 10:46 AM

Generator

I've got a Lincoln G8000 welder/generator rated at 8000 watts. It was invaluble during hurricane Isabel. It kept 2 fridges, freezer, well pump, hot water heater and lights going for 4 days. I couldnt run everyting at once though.
Old 03-30-2006, 11:17 AM

Big Blue, I am by no means a ginny guru, but you really need to look at start up amps being drawn by those pumps. Since you are not looking at running a home a/c unit, you will get by with a much smaller one. We just layed the slap down for a Carrier unit that will be wired in to the home. Will be able to run everything at one time. Except the stove and dryer. This unit is a 20kw. I really think you would be able to get by with a 5500 watt. Be careful of these generators being sold by the cheap tool places. Need any help or info please ask. I might know a little.

Kip
Old 03-30-2006, 01:28 PM

Location: Dayton, NJ (temporarily while In USCG on Staten Island)
Big Blue, my dad could set you up with a gen set, possibly a skid mount with radiator and all. PM me, he has all detroit stuff though, but well capable of handling any load. In the Detroit range for ex. a 4-71 can handle approx 30-40 KW which is over kill but you'd be set. He is in Angleton, TX., about and hr south of houston, down near freeport.
Old 03-30-2006, 02:33 PM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Get at least a 15k genset. That will run most of the house (the entire house if you rotate the big loads). IF the have a tractor with a rear PTO shaft they could also get a PTO driven genset. All you do with those is back the tractor up to it, connect the shaft, engage the PTO, and set the throttle.

Another tip is to get a get a nice 4 pole 1800 RPM genset. They run quieter and generally last longer.
Old 03-30-2006, 05:07 PM

I've got a miller bobcat 250G. Its a 10k generator welder combo. 100% duty cycles on the welding end. Its got a 220 50amp plug as well as 4 110 plugs on it. The thing is a bit heavy to move(600pounds) but its a great generator, and will run just about anything you want.

Coop

Quick Reply: Generator Question