Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

GE Ice Maker Problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 10:57 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GE Ice Maker Problems

The ice maker on the old GE quit on me. I looked on the GE site and found the model # and the parts diagrams. Since the water dispenser on the door still worked, I figured it was the electric water valve for the ice maker, and ordered one....wrong. It still will not dispense water into the tray. Anyone have any ideas on what to check/replace next?
Old 06-09-2007, 11:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
uummm

crob have yah let the freezer defrost see if the tube inside the freeze for h20 is frooze?
Old 06-10-2007, 07:14 AM
Chapter President

Nope, didn't think about that. Thanks, I'll check it out today.
Old 06-10-2007, 08:51 AM
Administrator

Assuming the lever is down, the next thing would be frozen supply.
Old 06-10-2007, 10:07 AM
Muted one day, Banned the next....... Ah the life of a DTR 1%'er

I would say frozen feed suply line. Or air in the line from cylanoid replacment. Those only call for water every so often and it could take up to 24 to 48 hours to bleed its self of air. You must push the shut off lever up when not in use. It doesn't take long for the tube that goes throught the back of the fridge into the ice maker to freeze up. The remove that line just use a 1/4 nut driver and remove the two screws located at the back of the fridge on top where the feed line enters the icemaker. After removing those just pull out the 3/8 tubing and check to see if it's closed off from ice.
Old 06-10-2007, 10:10 AM
Muted one day, Banned the next....... Ah the life of a DTR 1%'er

If you have any more problems just P/M me and I can talk you through it. I worked on appliances for a long time..
Old 06-10-2007, 02:02 PM

The motor that dumps the ice controls thewhole process. You may have a bad micro switch. Check the coil at the valve that you just changed to see if the 120 is getting there.
Old 06-10-2007, 05:32 PM
DTR Detective

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Crescent or Barrel cubes?

Crescent, just replace the icemaker don't fuss with internals, GE's are crap to begin with. Barrel has been discontinued, you'd have to do internal. I have to say though...I am shocked that it wasn't the valve, GE's fly threw valves. Is the Freezer below 9 degrees? Most IM's won't cycle unless below 9 degrees.
Old 06-10-2007, 10:27 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mine used to freeze up quite a bit. The remedy was to cut a section of the supply hose that dumps into the maker. Kind of a horse shoe looking cut all almost to where the tube enters the freezer. Its been several years and has only frozen once (as opposed to at least once a year). Also, a cube will not fully slide off of the maker and into the bin from time to time. It will eventually catch on the prongs that pry out the ice and jam it, but you would have seen something like that. I going with the frozen supply line. A hair dryer works great to fix that.
Old 06-11-2007, 05:38 AM
Chapter President

Thanks for the suggestions folks.

"The Boss" and family has kept me hopping the past two days, and I have accomplished nothing. Today, I will check the line to see if it's frozen and also put a thermometer in there to check the temp. I saw the micro-switch in the diagram and thought of that too. To keep The Boss happy, I'll replace the whole thing if I have to.

Cincydiesel, thanks for the PM offer. You may be hearing from me.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:40 AM
Chapter President

Well, I wasn't lucky enough to have a frozen line....clean as a whistle.
I used a hair dryer first, then took the ice maker out so I could get a good look. I also went back and unplugged/replugged the main connection to the water valves. I'll let it sit for awhile and see if it cycles. I have put a thermometer in there to see how cold it's getting.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:43 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I think the icemaker is the only thing original in my firdge!! Probably because it lookes to easy to replace (two bolts and a plug). Well, I shouldnt say that, I've never hadto go under the fridge yet. But the freezer door has been replaced (that took me about 4 hours, about 100 screws holding the seal on), eschusion three times, anything to do with the ice/water through the door at least 4 times. Had to call a repair man out once and learned there are more circuit boards hidden in the fridge side (side-by-side) that control the defrost cycles and such. Its a Maytag.
Old 06-11-2007, 12:10 PM
Chapter President

The temp in the fridge went to near "0" on my thermometer. Also, the "arm" on the unit has started to cycle.
Old 06-12-2007, 05:53 PM
Chapter President

Well, it cycled a few time, but no ice. Any more trouble shooting ideas before I replace the in-box unit? Any good place to order one beside GE?

Thanks for the help..............
Old 06-12-2007, 06:15 PM
DTR Detective

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Model # ?

Have you tried putting 110 directly to the valve to make sure it will deliver water? I know it's a new valve, but new valves can be bad valves. Does the valve say Powerstroke any where on it?

Sorry couldn't resist.

I'm a Service and Parts manager.

Quick Reply: GE Ice Maker Problems