Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

FYI Fram oil filters

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2005, 11:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
FYI Fram oil filters

Before I start, I don't use Fram in my CTD. That being said I have used them for years in my 440+ cubic inch Mopars and had great luck-until last month. I had one on a 69 Coronet R/T deform and puke 10 quarts of TORCO synthetic oil all over the ground!! I sent the unit to Honeywell (Fram's mother company) for evaluation. Their response was that my pump was putting out to much pressure, 200-300 PSI?!?! Wrong, I tried to explain that my mechanical gauge would have wrapped the needle around the gauge 2-3 times and I was watching it. So now I am out 100.00 bucks for the oil, and am debating putting new bearings in an engine with 12 miles on it!!

So buyer beware.
Old 01-26-2005, 12:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
when did honeywell start owning fram and prestone. whatever happened to allied-signal they were the ones that use to own fram. i thought honeywell only made airplane parts
Old 01-26-2005, 12:02 PM
Banned

I wouldn't run a fram filter on my lawn mower much less my 440 big block.
Old 01-26-2005, 12:03 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
What version Fram filter was it? PH, TG, DG or the XG series?

MikeyB
Old 01-26-2005, 12:24 PM

PH 8A
Old 01-26-2005, 12:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by halerazor
when did honeywell start owning fram and prestone. whatever happened to allied-signal they were the ones that use to own fram. i thought honeywell only made airplane parts
Allied Signal bought Honeywell and appropriated the name since it had better market recognition. Honeywell began as the Minneapolis Honeywell Regulator Company manufacturing steam regulators for radiators. They do building temperature control, building automation, industrial plant automation, aerospace and lots of other things. They also used to do optics and cameras (Honeywell Pentax) and mainframe computers (Honeywell Bull).

As a former Honeywell employee, I really hate to see the name of a once great company plastered onto Allied Signal products such as Fram filters.

Rusty
Old 01-26-2005, 01:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The PH series is the cheapest filter made. I wouldn't run that filter on anything. The TG (Tough Guard) is a much better filter.

MikeyB
Old 01-26-2005, 06:12 PM
cp

I have pointed this out before, but here goes again:

Fram is one of the most frequently counterfeited products available. I think a lot of the bad quality is not of Fram's making, but the net result is the same--a crap shoot if you buy a Fram filter.

Having said that, as if counterfeiting wasn't bad enough, Allied Signal did everything in their power to cheapen up the filters, thus ruining what once was a decent filter. So even the real Frams aren't worth a whole lot.

Allied Signal has trashed two brands--Fram and Honeywell, both which were at one time considered top companies in their field.
Old 01-26-2005, 11:09 PM

Yup, familiar story about Fram. I returned a PH series that split open. They "visually" inspected it and concluded that it was my fault! The housing is thin, thin. From now on, I want my filter to feel like it is made out of schedule 40 pipe!
Old 01-26-2005, 11:26 PM

The sidewalls of the Frams are so thin that its possible for a 24V to split the housing if its not put on exactly right. Heard about a guy that lost an engine because of this.
Old 01-27-2005, 12:05 AM

why would you even buy a fram when you can buy a fleetgaurd for the same price
Old 01-27-2005, 12:25 AM

because some people like to buck the system....I dont buy the "I cant find Fleetguard filters" either - I mean come on, Cummins is a Global company....they are out there
Old 01-27-2005, 04:47 AM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally posted by Dr. Evil
because some people like to buck the system....I dont buy the "I cant find Fleetguard filters" either - I mean come on, Cummins is a Global company....they are out there
yeah, if I can find Fleetguard filters out on a small island in the west Pacific Anybody can find them in the states. Several ways to get them:

1 - look up local dealers in your area on Cummins website.
2 - Find a big rig service place nearby.
3 - Several companies will send them too you. Geno's Garage is a great place to get them.

Heck out this website. This guy cut open and anylyzed different brand oil filters. Very good info on that page. Heck it convinced me to ditch Fram in the first place ( My Cummins has never seen a nuclear orange can ever. I used to use Fram on my old F150). Check out the site, click here. If you want a good filter and don't mind spending 10 bucks I would pick up a Mobil 1 for any engine that I can't find a fleetguard for.
Old 01-27-2005, 07:47 AM

I don't think Fleetguard makes a filter for my 440?!?! DO they??
Old 01-27-2005, 08:24 AM

Yes they do. Go to their website and cross reference it. I just did this for a friend. Good Luck
Bob

Quick Reply: FYI Fram oil filters