Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Fraud

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2005, 09:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Fraud

As the bank VP said as she looked at me "Hon, youve been horn swaggled". Seems I took a Canadian bank draft in payment for a vehicle I sold ion this site.
It was supposedly going to Mexico. It included the amount for the person that was going to ship it. The remainder to cover the price of the vehicle.
I sent the money to the "shipper" via WU money transfer. Not by Moneygramm as they requested. None close by. This upset them, and had me change the receiver to a different person.
Got home and check e-mail, there was one telling me the the client in Mexico had died. The widow need the remainder to ship the body back to the US. I should send it by monneygramm, to the address requested,keep $500. for my trouble.
This set off a warning bell in my little brain. It was after banking hours.
Yesterday, Monday I called the Canadian Bank that it was supposed to be from. Since I had made a copy of the bank draft and went over the important points on it the bank person I spoke with flat told me, 'That is a fraudulent draft, it has been washed." He also advised me to go to my bank with the copy. Also to contact "phonebusters, and gave me the phone number.
Phone busters is a fraud unit with the Canadian government.
Also contacted the FBI. The have an online site www.ifccfbi.gov. Filed a complaint.
Local police, get a case number to be able to take the loss on my taxes. They made copies of all the documents. It important to save everything.
I lost $2359.99. Banker said the chance of getting my money back "hon, about the same chance of a snowball,"
I like the small town banker, speak a language I understand.
Protect yourself. Sell for cash if you can. Call the bank whose name in on the draft. Have your bank verify if it good. The should have a book of documents that the can look up the marks that will be on a valid document. Watermark, logo, holograms, glitter things that show up under UV light.
The deposit was reversed outta my bank today.

Old 04-12-2005, 09:42 AM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Really sorry to hear about this stuff Davey, too many crooks out there looking for a way to take something from honest folks.

I hope you are able to get restitution some how.
Old 04-12-2005, 09:57 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I had someone attempt something similar with me awhile back.

They wanted to send me more then I wanted in bank drafts and then they wanted me to send them the difference...I say laundering. They did not seem at concerned with the condition of the product or how it would be shipped.

Top, remember when I ran this past you? I knew there was something up with that email.

Sorry to hear of this. We have to be very careful. Thanks for the reminder.

Scotty
Old 04-12-2005, 10:11 AM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally posted by Scotty

Top, remember when I ran this past you? I knew there was something up with that email.

Scotty
Yes sir I do recall this conversation, it was in regards to some aftermarket bumpers or something you were selling. I heard another fellow in chat describe how he was being asked to do the same thing with an aftermarket bumper he was selling, I told him to RUN from that deal.
Old 04-12-2005, 10:38 AM

Can you elaborate? On what was sold? It wasn t a ctd? for 2300? What about the shipper? When? Where was it shipped?

Since it was a car what happened to the title? Did youmail it? or send it with the car?
Old 04-12-2005, 11:09 AM
Banned

I have never had a phone call like that but I get a ton of shady emails all the time Sorry about your loss man
Old 04-12-2005, 11:09 AM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Unfortunately, this type of THEFT is pretty common. Sorry you got took.

If you're selling a car and someone from another country offers you what it's worth or more than what it's worth then it should send red flags up all over the place....unless they're going to meet you here in the good ole' US of A and pay you cash.

Their typical scam is to send money orders for more than you're asking and then ask you to pay them the difference. You pay them the difference, send them the car and then find out the money order they sent you was bogus. Now you've lost your car and the money you sent them.

I think someone tried to scam Palmetto Kid like this not too long ago but he was wise to it.
Old 04-12-2005, 11:16 AM

I still have the car, and the title. The money I wired was to the supposed shipper. Then I would be contaced as to the details of the pick up of the van and the trasver of title. That did not happen. The "client dided in a Mexican hospital and I was to send the balance to the widow to ship body back to US."
Din't sound right, didn't send the rest of the money.
Still out $2359.99.
Old 04-12-2005, 11:39 AM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This has been a real common scam in the horse market also... buy online and send a fraudulent cashiers check or bank draft....
Old 04-12-2005, 02:03 PM

Sorry to hear that Davey, between fraud and identity theft you cant trust anyone...and Chris you right, I know this one couple that sold a stud, he was worth around 25K and they did everything over the internet with these people and the horse was shipped, ended up the way they had paid was bogus and by then the horse was gone <overseas> and the funds were returned it was to late, no money and no stud. I am just glad more and more people are becoming wise to scam artists.
~Heather~
Old 04-12-2005, 02:29 PM

I caught a thing on the local news last night about something pretty close to that. Apparently to add legitimacy the fraud originators will send everything via fed-ex or other private carrier. Apparently this impresses people. The reality is that if it goes by US mail it is then mail fraud and the feds can get involved. If it goes by private package service it is much harder for the heavies to get involved.

Just one more thing to be aware of and keep an eye out for...
Old 04-12-2005, 03:47 PM

There's actually a warning about things like this on craigslist.org.

Sorry to hear it happened to you, just glad you still have the truck!
Old 04-12-2005, 04:05 PM
DTR'S Chaplain

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Fraud

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dssimecek
[B]As the bank VP said as she looked at me "Hon, youve been horn swaggled". Seems I took a Canadian bank draft in payment for a vehicle I sold ion this site.

this happened from this site????????

Sorry you got burned who was the buyer?
Old 04-12-2005, 09:27 PM
Banned

Re: Re: Fraud

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ramlovingvet
[B]
Originally posted by dssimecek
As the bank VP said as she looked at me "Hon, youve been horn swaggled". Seems I took a Canadian bank draft in payment for a vehicle I sold ion this site.

this happened from this site????????

Sorry you got burned who was the buyer?
The buyer isn't someone from here - it happens on any site with classified ads. These scammers cruise the net for ads and then launch their scheme. On Ebay, you'll get an offer for this for virutally anything of value you sell. I've had offers of this and I've only sold a handful of things.

Anytime someone wants to send you more money than you're asking (and doesn't really care about the condition or value of the object you're selling) the hairs on the back of your neck should stand straight up. And you should run, not walk, away from the deal. File the emails right next to the ones from Nigeria asking you to move their $15 million out of the country....

Sorry you got taken. At least you caught on before they actually came and took the vehicle, too.
Old 04-12-2005, 10:27 PM

i went to the post office yesterday to mail some packages from a sled i am parting out, i saw a friend who is the pres. of one of the banks, he said be very careful, they have been recieving counterfit money orders and cashiers checks at the banks. most common money orders to fake are postal and wal-mart money orders he said. always wait till their money clears before you ship anything. i like paypal service, they take a few percent, but its well worth it to not deal with this crap. we had advertised out race car oine alsi last year, someone from sweeden wanted to do some sort of deal like that, we didnt want to deal with it, said no.

sorry you got took

Quick Reply: Fraud