Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Faster Dialup

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2004, 09:11 AM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Faster Dialup

This is not a plug for anyone or anything, just what worked for me.

Where I live, I cannot get DSL service. The only thing available is Comcast cable modem, and I can't afford $49.95, pluse tax, a month.

First, I spent $19.95 for a program from Webroot called Accelerator. After trying numerous configurations, I found one that did help, but not enough. Yesterday I signed up for NetZero Highspeed Dialup and it has made a tremendous difference. It was a bit of a problem to set up (maybe just me), but it really smokes. The faster you accelerate it, the poorer quality any pictures on the sites will be. It does have a "right mouse button" command that will let you reload the pictures at a higher quality.

So far......so good.

CR
Old 01-13-2004, 10:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't like the 50 bucks a month for the cable internet from comcast, but I've never used any thing faster. Of course I wasn't first introduced to computers until I got out of the Army, and then we had to put some ticker tape stuff into the machine to read, then it would spit it out about as fast as I type.

I used to have the dial-up stuff, but the thing kept kicking me off and me off. So I'll grin and everytime I write the communists a check. Like you said, there are some good dial-up outfits out there, just not where I live....
Old 01-13-2004, 07:03 PM

I'll tell ya, I don't know much about computers but Net Zero High-Speed is what I use and it's leaps and bounds ahead of what I used to have. I'm in the same boat, can't afford dsl w/ the house payment I have out in the driveway -Steve
Old 01-13-2004, 08:13 PM

I just installed MSN 9 & downloaded the dial up accelerator (free) it's noticably faster, it has 4 levels & the higher you go it does degrade the pics.
I'm at setting 2 & it's much faster!!
Old 01-13-2004, 08:18 PM

You guys should check to see if WideOpenWest is available in your areas... they have cable modem pricing as low as $19.95.... I really liked them, but unfortunately I just moved and Comcast is the only thing available now.. It's running $42.95

Tony
Old 01-13-2004, 09:10 PM

Does anyone know if net zero is faster than aol 9.0 in the internet department. I live in the stix and have nothing at all available except dial-up.
Old 01-14-2004, 08:19 AM
Chapter President

Look up "www.netzero.net". They're pretty much nationwide and have a lot of numbers to connect to. I was at my sisters house this weekend, and they have SBC DSL. On most things Netzero is as fast as SBC. There are exception such as some picture formats and some email downloads. Your PC, modem and phone line will make a lot of difference in any dailup connection.

CR
Old 01-14-2004, 12:05 PM

I know it's pretty pricy (can't remember exacly how much), but for you guys in the sticks, most of the satelite companies offer internet service. Not sure about speed either, but I know for sure it's faster than dial up.
Old 01-14-2004, 09:21 PM

I have satellite, I costs around $600 for the equipment $59 a month. Pretty pricy but I use it a lot and didn't want dial up. I had cable in town and it was fast. The satellite isn't quite as fast due to the latency (the satellite is 22,500 miles in space). I've found a company that offers wireless internet service that looks very good as far as speed for about $35 a month. It's faster than DSL as well. You can take a laptop & surf the web any where in town.
Old 01-15-2004, 05:44 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
I found that in some cases the reliability and performance of modem dialup can be improved by going over the contact points in the phone line that are accessible (in the house) with a contact cleaner. Also secondary phone lines and appliances plugged into the same line can lead to distortions. I found that stuff when installing DSL lines.

Just my 2c

AlpineRAM
Old 01-15-2004, 06:34 AM
Chapter President

Many times dial up depends on how old your phone lines are (older is not better) the area that I live in has a phone system thats older then dirt and dial up was a click and take a nap before it loaded

I changed to Satellite SRS in May my speeds are good 1600 down/140 up.....for browsing the web Satellite is the broadband for people that can't get DSL or Cable....the one time equipment and installation cost $600 is pricey and the $59 per month costs as much as DSL or Cable....but if you need broadband it's the only option for many people

I had tried NetZero fast access it only worked sometimes....it uses compression of data which is a smoke and mirrors trick to make it seem faster.....the problem I found was during business hours surfing was still slow and I still got booted from my connection.....evening hours it worked better