Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Farmall Super A front axle

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2005, 08:16 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Farmall Super A front axle

Well, I've searched the YTmag.com forums and come up empty, so I thought I'd ask here. I'd like to widen the front axle on my '50 super A. I flipped the rear wheels last night and it made a huge difference in side hill stability. I pulled the clamps off the outsides of the front axle and popped the pins out...is there any thing else? I've been swingin' away with my bfh, but can't get the inner axletube to slide out. Is there another link I'm missing, or do I need to swing harder? I'd put some heat to it, but I'd rather not have an axle housing lose its temper! There is a pic of the ole girl in my gallery, just not specifically of the axle. Any comments/help appreciated, as always!

greg
Old 06-21-2005, 02:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
try yesterdays tractor.com

It might not be correct. but ther is a farmall and IHC forum there. somebody should have the answer there.
Old 06-21-2005, 05:35 AM

ytmag and yesterdaystractor ARE the same site, yt = Yesterdays Tractor. I wonder how long its been since that axle was moved? You would be amazed at how hard it can be to get front axle tubes to slide. I hit a LARGE hole with an 1855 Oliver and snaped the pin, allowing the front wheel to spin up, even after having moved, it was next to impossible to get the wheel spun back down. Ended up using wood blocks and a come-along and a front end loader and even then it seemed to take a few swear words. Use lots of pentrating fluid in any hole you can get it in that will end up between the two tubes. If you use a come-along to pull on the axle, remember to pull straight because any angle on the pull will cause binding and NOT moving. You mght want to poop out the tie rod ends if pulling really hard so you dont end up damaging them or breaking a steering nuckle. GOOD LUCK and keep the women and children away cause there will be frustration.

DuaneWKKC.
Old 06-21-2005, 06:51 AM

Thanks for the replies! I think I'll try the come-along this afternoon after letting it sit another 24 or so hours with pb blaster all over it. Since I don't do any heavy or fast work, I don't mind the extra stress on the axles so much with the wider stance...but I love the added stability!

greg
Old 06-21-2005, 06:59 AM

We have one just like it without the snow plow. Ours has a mowing deck under it. My grandad used to have all the farming attachments, and he used it to keep his garden up.

My dad says it was a pain in the rear to change out all those implements.

nice tractor!
Old 06-21-2005, 10:40 AM

You might put a little heat( not cherry red) to help with the pb blaster. Some times just a small amount of heat will heat. Might help it work threw whatever is holding it .

Sorry for not catching the yt. it was late and i was tired.

I have a 52 model super A ,59" woods mower, plow, cultivator. only used the mower so far.
Old 06-21-2005, 11:41 AM

I just got a farmall (woods knockoff) 59'' belly mower a month ago and I love it! It cleans up my two acres real fast. I mow in first just so it takes longer With the back wheels flipped wide, they're exactly the width of the mower and it seems to leave a better pattern behind...just gotta get the front to match.
g