Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Ex Illinois trooper wants his License Back

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 12:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ex Illinois trooper wants his License Back

This is not a slam on LEs or Troopers because I give them my utmost respect and gratitude for the jobs they do. I don't know the percentage but can imagine that even for law enforcement, there is that 1 to 2 % that should have never been hired. I think Mr Mitchell was one of them

http://www.bnd.com/2012/08/01/226718...ell-wants.html

The ex trooper's lack of judgement, common sense and subsequent actions back in 2007 killed 2 and injured 2 others. It is on the record that he was e-mailing a fellow trooper on his on-board laptop, having a phone conversation with his girlfriend and traveling at 126 mph when he lost control, crossed the median and ran head-on into two other cars.

I believe I am a fair person but from what was discovered during the trial and the fact he pleaded guilty to reckless homicide and reckless endangerment - it doesn't sit well with me. I think his only serving probation for this was a bit of injustice from the onset. It has re-raised a lot of emotions for a lot of folks in the area.
Old 08-11-2012, 06:30 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
better link, looks like you have to have a password to get on your local paper

http://www.sj-r.com/breaking/x148922...wants-to-drive

BELLEVILLE -- A former Illinois State Police trooper whose 2007 high-speed crash killed two sisters wants his driver's license back.

Matt Mitchell was driving more than 100 mph and using his cellphone on Interstate 64 in southwestern Illinois when his cruiser crossed the median and slammed into a car. The crash killed two Collinsville sisters.

Now, the Belleville News-Democrat reports Mitchell has applied for reinstatement of the driving privileges the state revoked in May 2010. Under Illinois law, Mitchell couldn't apply for reinstatement for two years.

An administrative officer in Springfield will decide Mitchell's request without a hearing. St. Clair County prosecutors oppose Mitchell's application.

Mitchell, who now lives in Killeen, Texas, pleaded guilty to reckless homicide charges in the crash and was sentenced to 30 months of probation.

IDK how many cops are decent and on the job, but all you ever hear about are the crazies.

most of the uniformed LEO's i know are afraid to post on the local forums that they are LEO's because all the tirades.

it's a crazy world.
Old 08-11-2012, 08:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

Let the Edit walk for the rest of his life.
Old 08-12-2012, 01:55 PM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The guy really did goof up.
However, IF they charged him with the same crime as a civilian and sentenced him the same as a civilian than he should be allowed to re-apply just like any other citizen.
I don’t know enough about the case to know if they cut him any slack because of his ex-job or threw the book at him.
Was he responding to an emergency or was he just driving stupid?
If he killed two people through gross negligence than he got off pretty light.

Originally Posted by 04ctd
most of the uniformed LEO's I know are afraid to post on the local forums that they are LEO's because all the tirades.

it's a crazy world.
By the way, the LEO's who do post on DTR are crazy.