Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Ever just quit your job?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 02:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ever just quit your job?

Ever just quit before landing new work?

I'm considering taking the rest of the summer off and starting to look for new work in Sept.

I have alot of dough saved up so that's not a problem.

If you have, how did it work out? My skills are in good demand (Software Engineer for 20+ years) but I've never been withoout a job.

I'm interested in how it worked out for anyone who's done it.

Thanks in advance.

DT.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:32 PM
Banned

take a leave of absense. that looks better because you are still with a company all the time, there is no gap in employment.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:35 PM

I thought of that but that wouldn't fix the problem. I want a new job and also to take the summer off.

I could take a leave and start looking toward the end of it but my employers wouldn't like that at all. It's too busy right now and will be for a while to come.

But thanks for the suggestion.

DT.

Originally Posted by dodgezilla04
take a leave of absense. that looks better because you are still with a company all the time, there is no gap in employment.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:38 PM

A buddy of mine did just that. He bought a new Duramax (way nice truck) then a fifth wheel camp trailer, then quit his job and is currently doing a tour of the U.S until September. I think he's coordinating job prospects while traveling. He told me financially he's good through the end of the year. Takes cahonees, but he'll have some great memories. I think the only reason he was able to do this is because he's willing to relocate pretty much anwhere to get another good job. I would love to get out of the ratrace for a while, but I don't want to relocate and I have a really good job right now, plus I havn't saved up like you or him, probably never will.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:48 PM

I've done that about 5 different times. It's hard to do that now with a 2 year old at home and a new mortgage...
Old 07-18-2007, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by chromegrill
I've done that about 5 different times. It's hard to do that now with a 2 year old at home and a new mortgage...
What the HEY, thats awesome. I can't even make the time to get out of Utah, let alone see the country.

I don't have mortgage yet, still renting...but I have 3 little teenies at home. Got a 1 yr. old, a 2 yr. old, and a 3 yr. old. That's why I don't have a mortgage...my wife quit her job to raise em...so 1 income keeps me from even trying to get a mortgage, and the teenies keep us from really doing anything at all...except chase em around all day and night.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:58 PM

I quit a job one time without having another lined up. In the early nineties I was working for an engineering firm in Houston. The politics got so bad I just was not happy working there. I called them on the phone and told them "I Quit". It felt like a great burden lifted off of me. Of course my wife with three children at home about had a heart attack! I was offered 3 positions within the week and took the one with the best benefits. So, in the end it worked out great.
If you have 20+ years experience as a software engineer another job should not be a problem. Good luck! Ed B
Old 07-18-2007, 02:59 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I did once, but I was in high school making slightly more than minimum wage at a feed store so it's not like there was a lot at stake.
Old 07-18-2007, 03:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
one of my friends dads just quit one day from his job of 20 years. then he got a job offer making 3 times as much with a better work enviroment! id say do it you have the resume of what employers are looking for. just make sure you have something lined up for medical insurance.
Old 07-18-2007, 03:35 PM

Give a 2 week notice. Companies like it better if you gave notice. So when they look at the resume, are they going to wonder if you are going to leave them high and dry like you did to the last one? I think a gap of a couple of months is more explainable (I needed a rest from work and took a LONG vacation) vs saying you just thought outta the clear blue sky to quit.

Just my 2 cents

Jon
Old 07-18-2007, 05:10 PM

Yep, I did once....... About a year ago... After working 105 hrs/week the boss owed me money from ages ago... I quit on the spot when my pay cheque was WAY light..... It was a very scary experience as I lived in a house provided by the employer and he gave us 10 days to get out. Find a new place to live, find a new job, the whole bit. I'm glad I did it, it is impossible to live a happy life when someone is taking advantage of you.
Old 07-18-2007, 05:16 PM

Ive done it when I was getting screwed. One phone call and I had another job. I could leave my current job for three months, six, a year, and come back like nothing happened. Nice to have skills that are in demand.
Old 07-18-2007, 05:45 PM

i did once myself. just started college for the second time, in 2005. got a job working in a truck shop in February and got so fed up with the guy not knowing what he had for me to work on (i had to call on Friday to see if i was supposed to work on Friday), or not having anything to work on that by April i quit. didnt get another job until June.
Old 07-18-2007, 06:02 PM

I have a pretty good job selling equipment and have many offers for management positions with my customer's companies if I ever decide to leave. Almost makes me want to do just what you are thinking about doing!! I even have people with $$$ willing to fund me if I decided to go off and start my own company doing what I do now. It's very tempting and I really do need a break from being in charge of a bunch of knuckleheads 5 days a week!!

Yes it does pay to be the best at what you do....
Old 07-18-2007, 06:31 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

The closest I have come to that was giving a two week notice.
A few days after my two weeks was up, my boss asked a buddy of mine if he knew where I was at.

Quick Reply: Ever just quit your job?