Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Ebay.......

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 11:19 PM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ebay.......

Sold this lousy stinkin hitch on ebay, been 4 days waitin on mr. whoever winner to pay for the stinkin thing, email them several times no response, find out now I have to wait seven days and it can take up to a month and a half before I can free up this hitch that has become a huge pain in my............ so I can try and sell it again. What a load of ca-ca, everything I experience on ebay just ticks me off. If I wait four days and don't send an invoice after the auction ends I suppose I'll get strung up and stuff. Want to just throw the hitch back on there for sale and say screw the guy, your there to bid on the darn thing then pay for it. But if I do that then I get hit by ebay as a bad seller, blah, blah blah.

Sorry had to vent, worthless turd hitch, ebay, slow people.....not to mention they all want you to give them the stuff for free practically especially when the auction ends then the emails come in with retarded offers, I'll give you .25 cents and you pay shipping....it's so hard not to type in a few f bombs.....
Old 09-28-2009, 04:56 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Two words for ya man .......

Craig's List.

Kris
Old 09-28-2009, 08:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Even when ebay was the greatest thing since sliced bread, back in the early 2000's, I've never liked them. Just the fact that people will sit and wait until the last minute and drive the price up, or sellers having their friends do it for them.

Although, the wife has done OK, buying baby clothes. That's their only redemption that I can see!

Tony
Old 09-28-2009, 08:53 AM
Banned

My issue on my last purchase was the opposite. The seller disappeared and I already paid with Pay-Pal. I paid as soon as I got the win confirmation because I did not want to cause any delays. That was one month ago and my money is in limbo. I wish I would have waited for an e-mail from him before I paid then I would not be out the money. I have my purchase in for a claim/refund for failure to deliver the product but it can be another month before I see it.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:58 AM

I've been jerked around once on E-Bay but for the most part I have had a lot of smooth transactions. I've had good luck with CraigsList too. The good thing there is that the people are usually local.

I have, however, noticed lots more people trying to scam members of this site and others. I was involved in such an incident here recently and with the help of Lary and a couple other members we got the guy to make things right...
Old 09-28-2009, 11:04 AM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by CamperAndy
My issue on my last purchase was the opposite. The seller disappeared and I already paid with Pay-Pal. I paid as soon as I got the win confirmation because I did not want to cause any delays. That was one month ago and my money is in limbo. I wish I would have waited for an e-mail from him before I paid then I would not be out the money. I have my purchase in for a claim/refund for failure to deliver the product but it can be another month before I see it.
Good luck with that. I got taken for $250 by a guy on another site. He fell off the face of the earth. (think he offed himself).
Used Paypal, they found in my defense but there wasn't any money in the other guys account to refund me. So I'm SOL.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:06 AM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by scottsjeeprolet
Good luck with that. I got taken for $250 by a guy on another site. He fell off the face of the earth. (think he offed himself).
Used Paypal, they found in my defense but there wasn't any money in the other guys account to refund me. So I'm SOL.
That is why I ONLY use a Credit Card..........
Old 09-28-2009, 01:40 PM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I was big into Ebay for a few years and had many good transactions buying and selling. It has gotten to where ebay does not care about the sellers anymore and the fees are constantly going up with nothing in return. I have started using Craigslist for my items and have had no problems. Only down side is lots of calls and very few people follow through with coming to look at said items. But then again, IT'S FREE to use
Old 09-28-2009, 09:28 PM

Is one really any better then the other? After all, you're just dealing with PEOPLE!

This is old news, maybe it's changed lately.

EBay Buys Stake in Craigslist

By: Nick Wingfield

In an usual pairing of an Internet colossus and a classified-listings Web site with a cult following, eBay Inc. said it acquired 25% of Craigslist, a deal that Craigslist's executives say will allow the site to retain one of its most treasured assets: its soul.

The deal follows a long courtship of Craigslist by some of the top Silicon Valley venture capitalists and Internet companies, including Yahoo Inc. and Google Inc., according to people familiar with the matter. EBay said its investment was part of a broader interest in the online classified-advertising market, a potential growth area for the company.

Founded almost ten years ago by San Francisco software engineer Craig Newmark, Craigslist has found a devoted audience among users in the Bay Area, New York and other cities across the U.S., who trawl its listings looking for everything from apartments to second-hand furniture to romantic encounters. While Craigslist is profitable, it has taken an unorthodox approach to doing business, charging only for those services its users deem "appropriate" -- a policy eBay has agreed not to meddle with, according to Mr. Newmark, the company's chairman.

The deal with eBay, financial terms of which weren't disclosed, ends a long hunt for an outside investor that divided Craigslist's small group of shareholders and threatened its nonconformist philosophy. EBay acquired its stake from a former Craigslist executive who was seeking to sell his shares. Mr. Newmark and the Craigslist CEO Jim Buckmaster said in separate messages posted on the Web that they never imagined a stake in Craigslist ending up in the hands of a publicly-traded company. Still, the former Craigslist executive made it clear to the company that he intended to sell his shares and began approaching other parties, including eBay.

Messrs. Newmark and Buckmaster said they warmed to the idea of eBay buying the former executive's stake after eBay executives made it clear they wouldn't ask it to alter its mission. "They have no interest in asking us to change that in anyway," Mr. Buckmaster said in an interview. "They're happy with us having our full autonomy. They recognize us as experts at what we do."

Craigslist executives declined to identify the former shareholder, but a person familiar with the matter said he is Phillip Knowlton, a resident of the San Francisco Bay Area. Mr. Knowlton didn't return voice mail and email messages seeking comment.

For eBay, the deal reflects a growing focus on classified listings, a market that differs from eBay's auctions, in which shoppers bid on an item and winners commit to purchase merchandise when the auction closes. Earlier this year, eBay paid $149 million to acquire Mobile.de, a Germany automobile classified Web site. Without a controlling stake in Craigslist, though, eBay won't derive any classified revenue in the near term from its investment.

"There are people for whom classifieds are the simplest way of selling something," said eBay spokesman Hani Durzy. "The reason we did this minority investment really was for learning purposes it gives us access to learn how the classified market online works."

EBay's motivation could also partly be defensive, allowing it to keep a stake in Craigslist out of a competitor's hands and giving it the chance to acquire the remainder of Craigslist should the company's founders decide to sell, according to a person familiar with the matter. In the past year, Mr. Knowlton, the former Craigslist executive, approached numerous venture-capital firms and Internet companies; Google and Yahoo, among others, had shown great interest in a possible deal with the company, according to people familiar with the matter. Spokeswomen for Google and Yahoo declined to comment.

Without naming any suitors, Mr. Buckmaster confirmed that Craigslist fielded a lot of calls from potential investors and acquirers. "We may get one inquiry a week," he said.

"Everyone was intrigued that these guys were able to build a profitable business in a sector that had seen more than its share of flameouts," said Bill Burnham, a partner at Softbank Capital Partners, who said he hadn't personally sought to invest in Craigslist.

The seemingly modest financial ambitions of Craigslist's executives make it more of cultural phenomenon than a traditional high-tech startup. Although it has dozens of categories teeming with listings on its various local sites, the company charges only recruiters and employers in San Francisco, Los Angeles and New York for posting job listings. A person familiar with Craigslist's finances estimates it will have between $7 million and $10 million in revenue this year, figures the company declines to confirm.

The possibility Craigslist could charge for many more areas of its site, such as real-estate listings, is what attracted so much interest from investors. Messrs. Newmark and Buckmaster, though, aren't in any rush to cash in. The company routinely posts messages on its discussion boards asking users whether they would object to new fees in certain areas of the site. For instance, it recently decided to keep portions of its job listings in New York and Los Angeles free for low-budget-film makers and others after members asked the company to do so.

When he originally gave a stake in Craigslist to the executive that sold his shares to eBay, Mr. Newmark said, he never expected them to be worth anything. "I made a gift of some equity in craigslist to a guy who was working with me at the time," Mr. Newmark wrote on his Internet blog (www.cnewmark.com). "I figured it didn't matter, since everyone agreed that the equity had only symbolic value, not dollar value."

Craigslist is run by a staff of 14 from two floors of an unglamorous Victorian in San Francisco's foggy Sunset district. Mr. Buckmaster has never owned a car and his driver's license lapsed several years ago, which he says will complicate his ability to visit eBay's headquarters in San Jose. Mr. Newmark rarely drives his hybrid Toyota Prius, which he routinely lends to friends.

The response to the eBay deal on Craigslist's own discussion boards after it was announced on Friday was mostly negative. One posting said, in halting language: "This is a mistake. eBay bad and robotic, Craig's List human and good. And now on the way to selling out."

Mr. Buckmaster said most of its users know Craigslist won't change, though. "We have to take our lumps from the knuckleheads," he said.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:19 PM

I try not to use either anymore. I did get a good deal on my stacks on Craigslist, and the guy was really good. But my parents put up a bunch of office furniture on there and had 3 scams in a week. Then they decided to post an ad for our house for sale. Someone got in there and made up a fake ad for our house saying it was for rent...Why??? Who knows, seems like someone has too much time on their hands.
Old 09-29-2009, 05:58 AM
Chapter President

So once Ebay gets enough shares in CL they will either shut it down or start charging you to use it.
If you can't beat them buy them! Ebay's losing a ton of money to CL.
On the CL side i love it. Never had a problem with buying or selling.
I always post Local pickup only and CASH ONLY! Sounds like your parents gave out too much personal info in the ad.
Old 09-29-2009, 02:52 PM

I never put my phone number on a CL ad. Just my e-mail. Once they contact me I will give a phone number. Cash only though...
Old 09-29-2009, 10:32 PM

Actually, now that I think about it, they didn't put an ad on C.L. They had it up on a real estate website, someone took that info and made up a C.L. ad. We had ppl showin up at our house lookin to rent, I felt bad dissapointing people who really wanted to rent it. There's some pretty crooked ppl out there. And they only used e-mail for the office stuff so they wouldnt get bothered over the phone.