Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Dish Network

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2004, 11:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dish Network

Any of you guys have dish network? How do you like it. I'm thinking of switching to Dish Network from *** cable. Do any of you have any advice to offer ?
Old 03-16-2004, 11:04 AM

Could I convince you to go with DirecTV instead?
Old 03-16-2004, 11:06 AM

Originally posted by Commatoze
Could I convince you to go to DirecTV instead?
Why? I want to hear pro's and con's
Old 03-16-2004, 11:20 AM

1) I found I got more channels with DIrecTV instead of DISH
2) TiVo! You can't get TiVo with DISH. They have something called Replay TV which is pretty lame when compared to TiVo. TiVo is the best thing to happen to TV since the advent of color TV. You can get a satellite receiver with the TiVo recorder built right in (ex. Hughes HDVR-2). It's 5 bucks more a month. Once you have it, you'll never be without it again, I guarantee.
3) DirecTV has a larger customer base than Dish.
4) DId I tell you how much I love my TiVo.

Either one you choose will be better than those criminal cable companies. Don't buy the garbage they feed you about switching from cable to satellite. My service is stellar (no pun), and I've lost the signal briefly for a few minutes during a heavy rainstorm. Compare this to hours every time a car or tree limb takes out a pole of brings the wires down. Go for it! Either provider, you'll love it. Think TiVO too. You'll never watch TV the same way.
Old 03-16-2004, 11:21 AM
DTR Founder

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I don't like either of them. I went back to cable because after I bought my HDTV, I realized how much lower the bandwidth was compared to cable. Now I can watch hdtv channels without tiling, and there are more of them.
Old 03-16-2004, 11:24 AM

Originally posted by Jack Thorpe
I don't like either of them. I went back to cable because after I bought my HDTV, I realized how much lower the bandwidth was compared to cable. Now I can watch hdtv channels without tiling, and there are more of them.
Alas! There is no HDTV TiVo....
Old 03-16-2004, 11:26 AM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
I have Dish Network and love it!. No cable available where I live, and they offered more programming than DirectTV at a lower price.

They do not offer NFL ticket though

I have the "everything package" but frankly don't watch a good deal of it.
Old 03-16-2004, 11:32 AM

I've had "Dish "for 8 years and I've been satisfied with their service. They are both good I would go to their sites and see which ones has a package with the most channels you want in one package.
Just my $0.02 worth.
Old 03-16-2004, 11:37 AM
DTR Founder

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Hey didn't Dish Network drop MTV?
Old 03-16-2004, 12:06 PM

Originally posted by Jack Thorpe
Hey didn't Dish Network drop MTV?
It's still on there channel line up.
Old 03-16-2004, 12:28 PM
DTR'S Chaplain

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by Rusty69
It's still on there channel line up.
To Bad!!
Old 03-16-2004, 12:37 PM

I've got dish at home and love it.
I had Direct before.

We have direct at the Fire sta. .

But IMO the Dish has far better quality.

I may be wrong but I thought that Dish had great HDTV capibilities.

But I don't have a HDTV . [ yet ]

Hope this helps.

: Eddie :
Old 03-16-2004, 12:38 PM

1) Big vote for the dish network. I've had it for 6 years and really like it. Their personal video recorder (PVR) works great and has really impacted the way we watch TV. Now we record what we want to watch and watch it on our schedule. Plus you get to skip the commercials.

2) Dish is/was in a contract dispute with Viacom (distributes MTV and others, also owns CBS) Wouldn't bother me if they dropped it permanently.

3) They had an HDTV PVR out but had to recall them. Hopefully they will have them back out soon. After all don't you HAVE to buy a HDTV if you have a HD receiver? (It's all about justification)
Old 03-16-2004, 12:59 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Dish Network

Originally posted by Rusty69
Any of you guys have dish network? How do you like it. I'm thinking of switching to Dish Network from *** cable. Do any of you have any advice to offer ?
Don't do it.

Many people may disagree, but as a former user of Dish Network I can tell you that it's a rip off. Stick with your cable. With cable, it's cheaper, you don't lose the picture when a cloud goes over, you never have to adjust the dish, you don't have 60 channels of music and 40 channels that duplicate another channel that you'll never use, you don't have a contract, you don't have that annoying delay in the picture coming up when you're flipping channels, you don't have lots of equipment you have to BUY or rent from the dish network people, you can have it in every room with a cable outlet without having to buy or rent EXTRA equipment for each room, you don't have to pay EXTRA just to get your local channels.....I could go on. Get the dish and you'll have all of those annoying things I just mentioned.

We got Dish Network when we first moved to the area. Switching to cable was the best thing we ever did. Unless you're just having major problems with your cable company, stick with them. I think you'd regret getting the dish. I know I did.
Old 03-16-2004, 01:02 PM

Re: Re: Dish Network

Originally posted by Hoss
Don't do it.

Many people may disagree, but as a former user of Dish Network I can tell you that it's a rip off. Stick with your cable. With cable, it's cheaper, you don't lose the picture when a cloud goes over, you never have to adjust the dish, you don't have 60 channels of music and 40 channels that duplicate another channel that you'll never use, you don't have a contract, you don't have that annoying delay in the picture coming up when you're flipping channels, you don't have lots of equipment you have to BUY or rent from the dish network people, you can have it in every room with a cable outlet without having to buy or rent EXTRA equipment for each room, you don't have to pay EXTRA just to get your local channels.....I could go on. Get the dish and you'll have all of those annoying things I just mentioned.

We got Dish Network when we first moved to the area. Switching to cable was the best thing we ever did. Unless you're just having major problems with your cable company, stick with them. I think you'd regret getting the dish. I know I did.

Well, that pretty much settles it. I'm going with Dish Network. I've always heard on here to do the exact oppisite that Hoss says to do.

Quick Reply: Dish Network