Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Directbuy shopping

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 06:40 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Directbuy shopping

Has anyone here actually JOINED and USED Directbuy shopping?

Wifey's checking into it to purchase stuff for the new house..........a friend of hers thinks it's around 3-4 GRAND just to join........

Is it worth it,....or just the latest "Join for big bucks and watch while we go belly up leaving the country with your money" scam?
Old 01-27-2008, 06:52 PM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have seen their abuduant adverts lately and wanted to know the same thing. Do you have a one local one to visit?
Old 01-27-2008, 07:22 PM

Good and bad comments here . http://infomercialratings.com/produc...uy/startNum/40 .
Old 01-27-2008, 08:21 PM

I think you would be better off just spending some time looking for what you want then shopping for prices.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:08 AM

One of the Directbuy commercials I have seen shows a couple who say they saved $10,000 on furniture by buying through Directbuy.

I don't know about you, but I haven't bought $10,000 worth of furniture in my life and I bought all of mine new. (My house is not lavishly furnished, but it has enough furniture.)
Old 01-29-2008, 10:15 AM
DTR question asker

I'd stay away from it...
Old 01-29-2008, 10:35 AM

Ed,we had one next to us about 15 years ago,they went broke.My question is after you have made the initial purchase...what else do you recieve for the $ 5,000.00 buy in?How much do you have to purchase to amortize the buy in cost?
Old 01-29-2008, 01:20 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
If you spend a lot and want "specific expensive" items, top of the line things, be it appliances, furniture, cookware, flooring, kitchens, you name it they have it, then Direct buy is a good buy and you will be amazed at how much markup there is on some things. When you see things "on sale" 50, 60, 70% off in the store the store is not usually selling at a loss.

If on the other hand to you the letter "W" stands for "wholesale" and you are the kind of person that searches out the best deal and then haggles that price on an item that may not be "exactly" what you were looking for but close enough, then Direct Buy is not for you.

My suggestion is go window shopping and make a list of things, models and prices, then go to DB for the sales pitch after which they will let you browse the manufactures catalogs, pull out your list and find the exact item and compare prices. You can save more than the buy in cost on just granite or quartz kitchen counter tops.
Old 01-30-2008, 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by belfert
One of the Directbuy commercials I have seen shows a couple who say they saved $10,000 on furniture by buying through Directbuy.

I don't know about you, but I haven't bought $10,000 worth of furniture in my life and I bought all of mine new. (My house is not lavishly furnished, but it has enough furniture.)
that's nothing- one of their commercials had a couple that said they SAVED $30,000 on cabinets! those must be some sweet cabinets.
Old 01-30-2008, 06:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I signed up for the tour and then started researching them on the Internet and basically came to the conclusion that they offer premium quality items at close to normal quality prices and I knew that I could never buy enough to recoup the $2500-$6000 membership fee so I called back and canceled. After the person setting the initial appointment being a bit pushy, I was surprised that they let me cancel with no problem. I also looked at the odds on the free gifts that were offered - one was 9998/10000, the second was 9999/10000, and the third was 3/10000. You guessed it, I was pretty well guaranteed a $20 set of luggage and a discount vacation to Branson.

In answer to your question, no I never actually got there or joined so I'm just passing on my research but the best that I could tell, you have to be building and/or furnishing a high dollar house for this to pay off. An average joe like me won't benefit in most cases.

Just
Old 01-30-2008, 07:19 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Thanks for the input guys.........

With one of Wifey's cousins in the kitchen remodeling business, and another married to a guy who runs a hardwood floor warehouse,.....I think I'll probably be able to beat their prices...... and keep the 6 grand for other stuff.
Old 01-30-2008, 07:51 AM

If it is what my friends did, you have to pay a monthly/yearly fee and don't get any of that back. They did have cheaper stuff at times, but, when shopping out of catalog or online, you don't get the first hand experience of looking/feeling it in the store. They go real tired of if fast and quit.
Kinda like a scam. IMO
Old 01-30-2008, 07:58 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Best way to do it is get a DBA and go around to the wholesalers and setup accounts. Just act like a contractor or remodeler.

MikeyB
Old 01-30-2008, 08:18 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by PourinDiesel
I think you would be better off just spending some time looking for what you want then shopping for prices.
Agreed. Wouldn't do it. Why would one pay 3-4k to go in and spend more money....and be locked in to buying only their products.....NO WAY, I don't care what kind of sales or products they carry!
Old 01-30-2008, 12:47 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Reading some of the posts gives the impression that Direct Buy "sells" things. They do NOT sell anything but the membership. You buy direct from the MANUFACTURER (through DB) out of the manufacturers wholesale catalogs. If you can buy everything or most things at wholesale prices already why bother with the DB membership. Although I have contacts I still had to pay retail for most things I bought before joining DB over three years ago.

Quick Reply: Directbuy shopping