Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Diesel vs. Gas Longevity

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2003, 07:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Diesel vs. Gas Longevity

Well, I have a little question for you guys and gals:<br><br>Of course, as I’ve stated before, I’ve grown up around diesels and am very familiar with their benefits over their gasoline fueled counterparts. Namely:<br><br>1. Fuel Efficiency - Figure 20% - 30% better fuel economy under no-load conditions (albeit considering the diesel is kept at a low r.p.m.). Under loaded conditions, figure 100% better economy (once again, considering the diesel is kept at moderate r.p.m.’s) About that r.p.m. situation though...that’s one of the big downfalls (at least in my opinion) of automatic-equipped diesel-powered trucks: As soon as you hit a hill, it shifts to redline, where a.) the diesel engine’s fuel economy barely stays ahead of a gas engine, and b.) where the diesel’s power starts dropping dramatically. Anyways...<br><br>2. Longevity - Now this is where I want to pose a question to everyone on this board. Diesels are known for their durability...period. On the other hand, modern “pickup truck based” gasoline engines usually last for about half that time. And my question: If gas engines were built with a block and components as strong as their diesel counterparts, couldn’t the gas engine dang near last as long as the diesel engine (Talking big, low-revving (at least in the gas world) V-8 and V-10 engines here)<br><br>Thanks,<br><br>Justin.
Old 01-30-2003, 07:43 PM
4x4
Banned

Re:Diesel vs. Gas Longevity

I would say it might work. I have had Chevy motors spin the odometer back to zero many times though. But back to what you said about &quot;big, low-revving engines&quot; they would have to be stroker engines(like a chevy 383). Also you would have to go completely through it to put in durable parts.
Old 01-30-2003, 10:48 PM
cp

I wouldn't see why not. It's just a matter of designing in more margin on all the critical parts.<br><br>The thing about bigger diesels is that they are durable AND easily rebuildable via wet sleeves. The Cummins (and Powerstroke and Duramax, too) is not that type of diesel. So basically when it's ready for an overhaul, it probably won't get it because the cost would exceed the value of the truck.<br><br>
Old 01-31-2003, 10:44 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Traditionally, the gas engine had more moving parts. Even if they were built stronger, there is still more moving parts to fail. <br>However, I know that some of the newer gas engines are being built with over head cams and such, so I dont know if the modern gas engine has more/less moving parts than its counterpart diesel engine.<br><br>Although, Im left to wonder... if a gas engine was built with the same bulk/strong components as a diesel engine... would that gas engine weigh more.. thus take more fuel to get the components moving?<br>A bulk built gas engine may last as long as a diesel engine, but what kind of mileage would it get pushing around those larger/heavier components?<br><br>Just thoughts.<br>Rich.<br>
Old 01-31-2003, 03:33 PM

Gas has more moving parts than a diesel? I don't see how...the only added parts are the spark plugs and associated wires...and if you have a PowerJoke (whoops...sorry!) with glowplugs...your even (Well, unless you have the HEMI with two plugs/cylinder). And of course...spark plugs aren't considered &quot;moving parts&quot;.<br><br><br><br>
Old 01-31-2003, 04:53 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

[quote author=jlells01 link=board=10;threadid=10302;start=0#98950 date=1044048811]<br>Gas has more moving parts than a diesel? I don't see how...the only added parts are the spark plugs and associated wires...and if you have a PowerJoke (whoops...sorry!) with glowplugs...your even (Well, unless you have the HEMI with two plugs/cylinder). And of course...spark plugs aren't considered &quot;moving parts&quot;.<br><br><br><br><br>[/quote]<br><br>Yup, your right. I was thinking push rods and valve train differences.. but after a little more thought, I realize that the diesels also have these same components.<br><br>Sorry for any confusion... I typed before I thought it out. <br><br> :-[<br>Rich
Old 01-31-2003, 05:49 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[quote author=jlells01 link=board=10;threadid=10302;start=0#98950 date=1044048811]<br>Gas has more moving parts than a diesel? I don't see how...the only added parts are the spark plugs and associated wires...and if you have a PowerJoke (whoops...sorry!) with glowplugs...your even (Well, unless you have the HEMI with two plugs/cylinder). And of course...spark plugs aren't considered &quot;moving parts&quot;.<br><br>[/quote]<br><br>Well, in the good ole days, you had your distributor, a bunch moving parts, now replaced with a computer.<br>Carburator had a bunch of moving parts in it, also replace with a computer (different pump and injectors).<br><br>phox
Old 02-01-2003, 03:57 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts

jlell: I think that in todays diesels the redline is brought down artificially. In stock form they will make the redline where it starts getting inefficient. <br>The said problem about going up the hills and redlining it... with my stock tranny yes, now I can go up 11% grades in OD lockup with 2k RPM at ease. <br><br>I think that any manufacturer could build a gasser that has the same longevity as a diesel. But nobody would buy it. Sam price as the diesel, low HP and heavy. Still not the fuel efficiency of the diesel. I feel that if I tke care of proper maintenance of my Cummins the Dodge around it will be corroded away before I need to overhaul it. <br><br>One of the problems with gasser longevity is the potential carbon buildup in the combustion chamber that leads to pinging and therefore pressure spikes that will ruin the engine. The diesel doesn't have this problem because fuel is only there when we want it to burn. Diesels have problems when the injectors go bad and start washing down the oil from the cylinder walls. <br><br>Over here the average diesel will be maintained better than the gasser. This is due to higher initial costs, and because diesels are more of a professional usage item than gassers over here. <br><br>Just my 2c<br><br>AlpineRAM