Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Conversely, Where is the worst place you've ever been?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2003, 11:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Conversely, Where is the worst place you've ever been?

New York City. The whole place is like a dirty back alley.

Big Spring and Midland/Odessa run a close second. I guess I could throw in the whole Llano Estacado for that matter.....
Old 08-29-2003, 11:45 AM

My "Battle Mtn" experience -

I have a commercial CDL, and would take time off from my job as a police officer to take road trips for Leprino Foods/Transportation..My buddy ran the trucking division, and would let me take a run to Denver & back in one of their nice KW big sleeper conventionals, hauling coors beer..Anyway..

I stop one Friday evening in July around 6pm to get a soda to go..Only place open is this bar, so I walk on in..Luckily, I was armed..

I'm wearing shorts, tank top, running shoes, (thank god) and was in excellent shape. The bar has about 6 very dirty and drunk miners present, along with a 300 lb native american prostitute in the corner.. They all looked at me like I was dinner..One guy says, "he'll do.." and three of them got up. The rest just smiled..

I forgot all about my thirst..When one got close enough, he got a 9mm that I had retrieved from my waist as I stood on the side of the bar, in the forehead..I said, "don't know what you boys have in mind, but I ain't playing..." this guy walked me backwards out of the bar, with the pistol still stuck to his forehead..All he kept saying is "you'll never make it out of here"..

I got to within 100 ft of my truck, jumped back and ran...He was too drunk to follow..

Yeeup, its a heck of a fun town...Makes you wonder about my Wamsutter experience...
Old 08-29-2003, 11:52 AM

New York City. I have to agree with Cowhand's experience.

Second would be parts of Pennsylvania. I had a 2 week project there about 10 years ago and didn't run into one friendly person the entire 2 weeks.
Old 08-29-2003, 11:54 AM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

Smokey driving truck for the Bandit

Yeah... the ones dumb enough to think they can get away with a stunt like that, don't think about the possibility that the lack of law enforcement may not be to their benefit either.
Old 08-29-2003, 01:43 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I know nutting...nutting at all.

;D

[quote author=Spark Chaser link=board=10;threadid=18974;start=0#msg178347 date=1062174550]
[quote author=Scotty link=board=10;threadid=18974;start=0#msg178333 date=1062173777]
I like the area I live in, I dislike the neighbors I have and their total and complete disregard for their lives and self worth. Vomiting, urinating and passing out. Not to mention doing inhalants and seling chrystal Meth.
Call the cops and they do nothing...absolutely nothing.
The area is beautiful, the worst neighbors ever. It became a rental property with welfare people and the owner is just as bad. That is changing...I hope to be out of here before the snow flies. And they will know when I leave. 8)

[/quote]

Now Scotty- You're not going to flip anyones car are you :P
[/quote]
Old 08-29-2003, 01:49 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

I repaired a couple of phones in the DC homeless shelter started by Mitch Snyder in NW Washington DC back in the Mid-80's.

NEVER want to have to go in one again.

Old 08-29-2003, 01:51 PM

Ummm my Mom's Dads House or my Papa.
Old 08-29-2003, 01:54 PM

Worst place I even been... hmmm... Well, Tijuana was pretty dirty. I didn't care for San Francisco AT ALL, not my type of town. But the worst place I ever been was in the middle of the Ohio River with a toasted upper and lower unit. Couldn't find my oar. No other boaters cuz of the weather, shouldn't have been out there to begin with. The worst part was the barge, barges are big anyway, but this was especially huge. It was about 200 yards away, blaring the air horns for me to move. Could not. Finally spotted a jetski who pulled me to safety. I nearly soiled myself.
Old 08-29-2003, 02:02 PM

[quote author=Ryan link=board=10;threadid=18974;start=0#msg178309 date=1062171964]
Dearborn MI. Too many Blue Ovals for me and the roads would be better off left unpaved the way they take care of them.
[/quote]

Unfortunately I make the trip to Dearborn 5 days a week...

I could do w/out ever going back to Scranton, PA...

or the campground we were at a few weeks ago in Fenton, Mi...
Old 08-29-2003, 03:12 PM

[quote author=TPilaske link=board=10;threadid=18974;start=15#msg178428 date=1062183765]
[quote author=Ryan link=board=10;threadid=18974;start=0#msg178309 date=1062171964]
Dearborn MI. Too many Blue Ovals for me and the roads would be better off left unpaved the way they take care of them.
[/quote]

Unfortunately I make the trip to Dearborn 5 days a week...

I could do w/out ever going back to Scranton, PA...

or the campground we were at a few weeks ago in Fenton, Mi...
[/quote]

I was thinking of you when I posted that. ;D You have my deepest condolences.
Old 08-29-2003, 03:40 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

It's kind of a toss-up between Chester, PA, Camden, NJ, and Philadelphia, PA. Industrial cities in decline really suck. And I get to see the BEST parts of 'em delivering industrial gases and welding supplies.
Old 08-29-2003, 04:05 PM

Camp Giant, South Korea for 18 months,,,It was pure torture. :'(
Old 08-29-2003, 05:05 PM

Napels, Italy. If that place in WY is the armpit, then Napels is that place just a little lower and to the rear of there.

Great Lakes, Il. Been there twice, both times it snowed on me when I got there and again when I left. In between was just about anything you could think of (snow, hail, severe thunderstorms, tornado).
Old 08-29-2003, 05:14 PM

Napels, Italy. If that place in WY is the armpit, then Napels is that place just a little lower and to the rear of there.
Butch,
You took the words right out of my mouth. That place is just nasty. One of my jobs was to clean a seawater strainer for my radar's heat exchanger, when in port at Naples, you don't want to know some of the things I pulled out of that strainer basket. :-X
Old 08-29-2003, 05:46 PM
Chapter President

Well, I am not fond of the Detroit area where the Michigan State Fair is. I have showed dairy cows there many times. It is best to stay in or near the barns. At least you see a lot of police and or rent a cops around during the fair. Still at times enough dummys come to the fair to keep most of the cops busy. Leaving the fair grounds after dark is not a good idea unless you can keep your car moving. Just gotta love 8 mile.

Quick Reply: Conversely, Where is the worst place you've ever been?