Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Confronted with another “Investment opportunity”

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 04:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Confronted with another “Investment opportunity”

So last night at lowes with my girlfriend we walked past a couple and a few seconds the guy walks up to me and says “you look familiar, do I know you from somewhere?” I started getting that feeling right then that this was another one of those guys selling something or whatever but I let him go on for a few min. asking the usual. Name, type of work and normal stuff. After a few min. I said it was nice to meet you but we need to get back to shopping. He walks off about 5 steps and I start thinking maybe he wasn’t one of those guys trying to get my money. Just then he turns around and ask “just a shot in the dark, but you guys are not interested in making extra income” I looked at my girl friend and said “nailed it” and turned to him saying no! This is the third time this has happened in about a year. This happen to anyone else and you stuck around to listen to what they had to say? I almost went to find him to ask what this “opportunity” was just cause we were now wondering. What makes me a target? Anyone know what the scam is?
Old 10-20-2007, 09:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes my friend, you are a target. You are probably a younger man with a pretty girlfriend hanging on your arm. Am I right ? You might as well have a neon sign hanging over your head that says "Come mess up my life with your lousy scheme !!"

Young couples are a ripe market for get rich quick scams because they figure (and I'm not assuming that this is your situation) that you are probably employed in a minimum wage job and not making much money yet ... but you may be married or planning to be soon and are seeing the cost of rings, apartments, kids, college loans etc ... so naturally, this easy money looks great !!

Usually easy pickin' for these jokers. Good thing that you are wise to them and can spot them right away. The only people who make money off of these type of deals is the top guy on that particular pyramid scheme. The dude standing in the Lowes and harrassing folks is barely making it and will soon realize that he is sick of eating bologna and will move on to telemarketing ....

PISTOL
Old 10-20-2007, 09:17 AM

If you have a grouchy mug like mine, they won't even bother you.

But, then again, my face makes kids cry too, so that may not be the best option.
Old 10-20-2007, 11:30 AM

Some things to think about: Are you two a sharp looking couple? Are you happy where your at? Do you eventualy want more? If you answer "yes" tell the person, you have 3 minutes to show me what you have. If they cannot do it in that time, walk away. If it looks interesting, ask what will it cost? If they are vague, walk away. If the person gives you clear answers, and it sounds like something you might want to look into, then find out more. If it is ligit, and not a scam it will only take a little bit of your time.
Everything in life is not a scam, but a lot of it is.
You are young, and have time to look at a lot of options, or work hard for someone else, and start putting in $1000.00 a year in something that pays 10% interest or return a year, and you will have a good retirement.

What ever you do, do it well.
Old 10-20-2007, 12:21 PM

yeah when I wear my firefighter shirt out, people always come up to me, ahh cool your a firefighter. what's your work schedule?? do you want to make some extra money on your days off? bleh, really pisses me off!!

I feel your pain man, feel your pain.
Old 10-20-2007, 11:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
we are young and look like normal people. we both make pretty good money, she is a nurse and i am a union machinest for an helicopter company. maybe next time i will take a min to listen to what he got to say. ive already been suckered into a meeting for a pyramid scam before and there are some real belivers there. it was kind of funny seeing people that really think that its going to get them rich! we are both pretty smart and dont usually get fooled by people trying to make a quick buck. we have worked hard to get where we are and are not just going to give it away to scams. i guess next time ill ask more about it but keep listening to the voice in my head saying NO!
Old 10-21-2007, 12:44 AM

i am middle aged (darn near 50) just keep doing what you are doing . walk away from them. ask yourself this why would someone let me in on a sure thing? people don't let others in on anything if they don't have to , greed keeps them from helping others. i got hit up last week by a kid driving a brand new chevy van . he pulls up like he wants directions and tries to sell me a speaker system that his boss bought for a job now it got canceled. told him no thanks. had same thing five years ago guy pulls into the farm and has a pickup load of new honda stuff his boss tells him to unload cheap or don't come back. sent him off too. i don't want to get stolen from and buying hot items only helps the crooks. same with get rich quick . check your emails you may have just one the lottery in uk. send me 1500 bucks to see.
Old 10-21-2007, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by KAyers
If you have a grouchy mug like mine, they won't even bother you.

But, then again, my face makes kids cry too, so that may not be the best option.
That's pretty good! Maybe I could try that as well!

In all seriousness,, I had a friend from college who, togehter with his wife, got caught up in one of these "orginzations" and within a year or so, after talking it over with his pastor, many friends, and family members, pulled out of it. It was MUCH more difficult to get away from than one might suspect.

The main reason they left was they woke up to the fact that they were now taking advantage of thier friends, neighbors and family members. Others stopped calling them and felt uncomfortable being around them as they always thought they were going ot be "invited" to some meeting somewhere, and told how they could become rich doing ths "job from home." I was very happy they pulled out, in the end they estimated they lost around $4.5k but felt it worthwhile to leave and preserve thier friends and family relationships.

Only thing I might suggest, if you're interested to know, is get the name of the "company" they work for (they are often reluctant to tell you) and google that for some further info. Scams like this really hurt many people in the end. Good job walking away!
Old 10-21-2007, 10:00 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Ask them what time they get done "working" and then ask them for their home phone number.......then tell them you'll be contacting them when THEY are off work and trying to get errands done.
Works every time.
Old 10-21-2007, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by bsj04
we are young and look like normal people. we both make pretty good money, she is a nurse and i am a union machinest for an helicopter company. maybe next time i will take a min to listen to what he got to say. ive already been suckered into a meeting for a pyramid scam before and there are some real belivers there. it was kind of funny seeing people that really think that its going to get them rich! we are both pretty smart and dont usually get fooled by people trying to make a quick buck. we have worked hard to get where we are and are not just going to give it away to scams. i guess next time ill ask more about it but keep listening to the voice in my head saying NO!

I think it would be real cool to take 5-10 minutes to listen to their plan and then make them sit down and listen to YOUR recipe for becoming successful and making money the old fashioned way .... GROW UP, GET OFF YOUR BUTT AND GET A REAL JAY-OH-BEE !!!

You could point out the fact that if he followed YOUR plan, he too could be spending his free time walking through the home store with his sweetie, investing in their future and actually living the dream. Instead of being forced to work some get-rich-quick scheme, line someone elses pockets and annoying people all day ... only to be turned down more times than an ugly hooker in Hollywood and coming home with a measley pocket full of change ... comparatively speaking.

You never know .... you could be the turning point in this guys life just by setting the example and taking the time to show him the flaw in his plan. Some people just need to be spoon fed.

Machinist eh ??? Good trade !!!!

PISTOL