Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Computer spyware detector

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2004, 08:33 AM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Computer spyware detector

I thought this was pretty neat. The company that maintains this website is trying to sell their software, but you can run a scan on your harddrive and it will tell you what, if any, spy and adware has made its way onto your puter and how to get rid of it in very easy to follow instructions...

http://www.pestpatrol.com
Old 09-01-2004, 09:52 AM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
I tried this free scan, and it said I had 9 pests on my PC. Funny thing is, I went looking for them and they did not exist. False positives due to either the software not being able to tell the difference between real spyware, or the company has it show something hoping you will buy their product.

I use Search and Destroy and Adaware regularly as well as a Hardware, and a software firewall. of course I keep an up to date virus scan program as well.

I don't know why Pest Patrol does this, but from my point of view, I would avoid anybody who tells me I have something I don't have, just to make a sale
Old 09-01-2004, 09:58 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Speaking of just spy-ware detection, I have used both SpyBot and Adaware.
Adaware has just release its second edition (now called Adaware SE). I am now running this and it seems to be doing quite well.

Outside of spy-ware, you would be wise to follow Lary's example.
For me, I use both Hardware (Cisco) and Software (Norton) firewall, with Norton's Anti-Virus and it helps to use a lot of caution when surfing and/or opening emails.

Rich
Old 09-02-2004, 08:40 AM

ok, not having any other detection software, I thought this might be handy. I did have three spyware and one "hijacker" program that the scan detected. I knew i had an exploit virus, and it detected it, but my anti-virus didnt. I had to go into the root directories to find it. I knew they were trying to sell their software, but didnt realize they were giving " false positives". My apologies...
Old 09-02-2004, 10:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just have my antivirus software running... I do the occasional AdAware scan... If someones that bored that they want to get on my PC, have at it... I could care less...

Tony
Old 09-07-2004, 08:17 AM

ok, talked over the weekend with a friend who is a network systems designer for Premeir One Computers out of KC, and he says PestPatrols scan engine is one of the best, if it says you have those you probably do. He recommended Ad-Aware for a free downloadalble program, but says Pest Patrol is what they install on most of the systems they install.
Old 09-07-2004, 09:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I ran the free PestPatrol scan and it came up with all kinds of crap in my computer. So I said what the heck and bought the software.
You wouldn't believe what this software finds, stops and destroys while your using your computer.
It's the stuff that gets written into the registry is what amazes me. PestPatrol finds it and removes it.

It's gooder!!