3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Computer reflash recall....

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2003, 06:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Computer reflash recall....

...my dealer notified me about 4 days ago.<br><br>Figured it funny the dealer called and I didnt get any paperwork from DC.<br><br>Stopped by the dealer yesterday and they confirmed the cruise control reflash is applicable to the 03 CTD HO and available.
Old 03-12-2003, 06:27 AM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re:Computer reflash recall....

Dang, <br><br>I thought they had that fixed before the 03's even came out. I guess not. I still have to get mine done. Mine surges a lot.
Old 03-12-2003, 07:20 AM

Any improvement after the re-flash? The revs between the 2-3 shift is making me sound like a rookie ;D
Old 03-12-2003, 07:34 AM

I took the NHTSA number to my dealer and he had nothing on it on his computer, and could find nothing on it on the D-C site that the dealers use. I used my cruise control last Thursday on a 250 mile trip, and experienced no unusual issues when I turned it off and pulled into a truck stop to fill up. Maybe mine doesn't need the reflash?? and if not, maybe some others won't either?? ??? ??? ???
Old 03-12-2003, 10:40 AM

[quote author=GrandpasRam link=board=20;threadid=12147;start=0#114866 date=1047476078]<br>I took the NHTSA number to my dealer and he had nothing on it on his computer, and could find nothing on it on the D-C site that the dealers use. I used my cruise control last Thursday on a 250 mile trip, and experienced no unusual issues when I turned it off and pulled into a truck stop to fill up. Maybe mine doesn't need the reflash?? and if not, maybe some others won't either?? ??? ??? ???<br>[/quote]<br><br>Ditto. I have used the Cruise Control on a dozen or more instances and have had no problems.<br><br>Maybe it is the way you and I are operating the cruise. I typically use the steering wheel &quot;OFF/on&quot; switch prior to decelerating. In other words I anticipate slowing down and turn the cruise &quot;off&quot; while compensating with my foot on the accelerator prior to putting my foot on the brake pedal.
Old 03-12-2003, 11:07 AM

Hummin' - that could be, but I think probably not. Often the recall only involves certain serial number vehicles, or vehicles produced at a particular assembly plant, or that kind of thing. I just got off the phone with DC on their recall telephone line, and my vehicle is not part of the recall at this time. Yours and mine are probably o.k.
Old 03-12-2003, 11:58 AM

Mio Coche Hecho en Mexico.<br><br>(my truck was made in Mexico).<br><br>Wonder if that is a difference, or does it matter where the computer assembly comes from.
Old 03-12-2003, 02:23 PM

I have not experienced anything in my SO cummins... i took a 4800 mile road trip (so the truck could see where it was born) to the mexian border. CC the whole way not a single glitch... i will see what the dealer has to say this weekend
Old 03-12-2003, 03:02 PM

Mine was made in Mexico as well. Since it is the ECM that has the recall, it would depend on where that lot # of ECM's went when they left the facility that built them. Most of us will probably not be affected; I think it will depend more on where the ECM's were programmed, and the source of that particular program image, and which ECM's it was loaded to before the error was caught. If no symptom shows up, I'm not going to worry about it.
Old 03-12-2003, 03:06 PM

Don't mind my newbie question, what are the symptoms when using cruise control if there is a problem? Mine seemed like it would surge, so I don't use it.
Old 03-12-2003, 03:13 PM

When engaging it, it is normal to feel it &quot;pick-up&quot; the throttle setting, but should quickly (within 1 second) smooth out. This is if you hold the speed on flat ground and engage the cruise control while holding the speed. If you already have it engaged and it surges, or you turn it off and the engine surges, then I would say that is a problem. I believe from the various threads I've seen so far that it is after the release of the cruise control a surge occurs in engine RPM, and that is the reported issue.<br><br>Anyone correct me if I'm in error ???
Old 03-12-2003, 05:37 PM

My Safety Recall Notice from DC came in the mail today. I haven't noticed any of the aforementioned cruise control antics but will have it looked at. I have used the CC often.<br><br>Says repairs take &quot;about an hour&quot;.<br><br>Truck built in Mexico.<br><br>
Old 03-12-2003, 07:18 PM

Recieved mine in the mail today, have had no problems. The truck was built in Mexico. I also had the &quot;fan recall problem&quot;. Truck was built in late 8/02
Old 03-13-2003, 08:44 AM
Banned

Only issue I had/have with the cruise is a surging when it shifts from accel mode to coast. (ie driving on a slight incline and then level ground the truck will buck a bit and then smooth out) Not enough of a bother to me to have them look at it. No recall notice yet either
Old 03-13-2003, 12:38 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

My notice came today. I use my cruise quite often and have never noticed any problems.<br><br>I am quite impressed that this is the first recall on a truck engine and body that were changed as much as these 2003's. Kinda different than what I read on the other sites (we won't mention names, will we?) 8) 8)<br><br>CruisinBob

Quick Reply: Computer reflash recall....