Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Commonwealth making wealth less common

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 05:04 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Commonwealth making wealth less common

This is the first year for me as a virginia resident but I've been here as an active duty guest for 10 years. I just got my personal property bill, which for those lucky people that don't have to deal with, is what you pay EVERY year based on your property's worth. So we pay income tax, sales tax, property tax AND personal property tax.
They have a much touted property tax relief but that doesn't apply to vehicles over a GVW of 7500 lbs. A dodge 2500 with a real engine has a GVW of 8800 lbs sooooooo this year I get to pay Virginia $360 for the priviledge of owning my truck. I also get to pay them $60 for the priveledge of owning an 18 year old Jeep and $150 for a 4 yr old van, they get the relief or it would be more.

Now this is based on the value of a 9 year old truck..I don't want even think about what the bill would be for a new truck!

And before anyone jumps on the anti liberal bandwagon..this is a red state so politics probably doesn't make much difference.
Old 11-04-2008, 08:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
and I thought New Hampshire was bad.
Old 11-04-2008, 08:24 PM

Come on out to Illinois. $270K value house property taxes of $6K a year. Sales tax at 7.6%. Seriously trying to figure out what they do with all the money.
Old 11-04-2008, 08:41 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by snoyes
Come on out to Illinois. $270K value house property taxes of $6K a year. Sales tax at 7.6%. Seriously trying to figure out what they do with all the money.
Schew, I thought we had it bad here. I pay $3,600 on a $379K value, sales tax at 6% and FEE'S for just about everything including flushing the toilet (long story, trust me, we get charged for it).

Could be worse, from what I read Michigan is a real treat too.
Old 11-04-2008, 09:46 PM

I got to hear taxes on the toilet story. Awesome. Yep, can't figure out the state of Illinois. Figure a $379 would be $9-10K a year. I have a few buddies that are trying to sell and move on base (military) because the taxes are out of control. I finished my basement before this deployment I am on, and my taxes are expected to shoot up to $8K. Talk about high taxes. I'll be paying almost $700 a month in property taxes. And Diesel is still $3.39 a gallon... OK, a little off subject, sorry for the rant.... Feeling a little better now. Figured I tied this in by complaining about the Diesel prices....
Old 11-05-2008, 09:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The east coast isnt a good place for honest people to live. NH is about as close as you get to honest living out here. Im looking at moving to texas or montana.
unfortunately you dont get much choice if youre in the service.
Red state or no, taxes like that are the realm of liberalism. Seems like VA just has a different combo of values is all. Too big a government and too many services. Id rather see it all privatized here.
Ive heard diesel is cheaper elsewhere. Were still paying a little over 3$/gal for now. It will probably start going back up again now the election season is up.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by badme
and I thought New Hampshire was bad.
Try living in Taxachusetts.
Old 11-05-2008, 11:10 AM

Snoyes what part of Illinois are you in ,You sound like your paying about same amount as me in Illinois just wondering if your local.I'm in the northeast corner in Winthrop Harbor .
Old 11-05-2008, 12:24 PM

You're living in the wrong part of the state. Our property taxes are much cheaper in the Southern part. Yours would be about $2,500 down here. It's still bad enough though. Sounds like you are in one of those high faluting place like Deerfield.
Old 11-05-2008, 12:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't you find it odd, that the people who already pay some of the highest taxes in the country........Virginia, Mass, Illinois etc......keep voting in people who you know are going to raise taxes even more?? (ie. BO)

Old 11-05-2008, 02:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
not really.. the places with high taxes are usually those with people too lazy, too busy or too unskilled to provide for themselves so they want the state to do it. When you offer gobs of state services and entitlements it attracts freeloaders like a magnet. Said freeloaders are then able to vote themselves more entitlements (since we have long ago discarded the principles of the constitution that protected against tyranny of the majority and property rights) once they become a large enough group and basically push out the honest residents, who leave the high taxes and poor services in disgust. So the state is then left with a LOT of services to fund and a lack of revenue because a lot of small businesses and honest individuals moved out. Like Im about to do. =)
Mind you, all these services to the poor, entitlements and services are enacted with the best intentions.. but the path to hell is lined with good intentions too.
I think the next few years will see a large painful contraction in state and federal budgets as we are forced to learn to live within our means. But the states and fed will try to levy some heavy taxes along the way to maintain the status quo. Who knows how that will play out.
Ok, rant over =)
Old 11-05-2008, 07:24 PM

Um, imagine having a brand new 08 and having to pay taxes based on the MSRP since the truck was still brand new at the beginning of the year!!!

Luckily I tagged mine w/ a gvw of 7500lb so I only paid half as much taxes as I would have if it was grossed properly....
Old 11-05-2008, 08:12 PM

Down in O'Fallon, IL. It is ridiculous.... The streets should be paved of gold for what we are paying. Chose to live here because of the proximity to work for both the wife and I.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:06 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Thanks to the late Howard Jarvis and Prop. 13,our property taxes are 1.5% of the assessed value at time of purchase. The county can only raise your taxes by that amount per year. We bought in 1987 for $114,500 and currently pay taxes of 1.5% on a appreciated value of $159,000 which calculates to $1760/year. Every year the dems. try and kill this proposition but so far...thanks Howard. My truck registration,however,is due in Dec. $433 ouch!
Old 11-06-2008, 12:35 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Wow, remind me not to leave Florida. I will quit complaining.

Quick Reply: Commonwealth making wealth less common