Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

cold weather driving

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2004, 09:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cold weather driving

hello,

have never driven in cold weather but must take a trip from so cal to detroit. i know in the colder states that #1 is sold and i will be buying that.

in as much as my HO has never seen cold weather what are the recommendations from you in the know? anything i need to be aware of?

also i will be staying in truck stops and travel plazas with no place to plug my heater in. what are your thoughts on this?

thanks,
david h
Old 01-11-2004, 09:31 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
I'd carry a couple of bottles of good anti-gel additive, check the fluids and go.
The Cummins will start in real cold temps, you just have to let it fast idle for a few minutes to get all those "juices" flowing.
Old 01-11-2004, 12:57 PM

cold weather

shovelhead,

tried to send a PM but i am having trouble receiving messages. what do i need to know about the fuel additive for cold weather. never used it before and wondering about the ratio, and when to add it to my fuel tank. also where do i buy it?

thanks,
david h
Old 01-11-2004, 01:57 PM

Use Power-Service White bottle, Howes Diesel-Treat, Stanadyne winter formula or a like diesel anti gelling fuel additive.
I add about 8-10oz per fillup.
Power-service is available at Walmart in the automotive section, Howes & Stanadyne should be available at the larger truck stops.
Old 01-11-2004, 04:11 PM

Yor CTD will do just fine in the cold. I keep styro cups and a gallon of Power service white then I fill to the appropriate level for about 8 oz. then you can squeeze the cup at the top to make a funnel. then just throw it away. cycle the key a couple of times to warm the cylinders below 20f and drive it. If it is real cold you will hear a sorta deep growl type noise for a couple of min. don't worry it is normal and I think it is the Power steering pump groaning.Also you may see the lights dim for a bit when you first start it this is the grid heaters cycling and it will go away after a couple of min. The temps in Detroit are going to be in the teens for highs twords the end of the week with the lows in the single digits so a little cold expect you truck to act a little different in the cold don't be too worried. You will be using winter blend (#1 and #2 diesel blended ) as soon as you get to the colder states so also expect the fuel milage to drop ( also normal) don't it sound like fun
Old 01-11-2004, 05:59 PM

blackjack,

you say "cycle the key a couple of times." do you mean just turn the key on or on and crank the engine?

thanks,
david h
Old 01-11-2004, 06:04 PM

When you turn the key to the ON position, the Wait To Start light will illuminate.
This indicates the grid heaters are warming up.
After the light goes out, turn the key back to the off position, then back to the ON position and wait for the Wait To Start light to go off again, then start the engine.

Ed
Old 01-11-2004, 06:45 PM
Banned

If you have no winter driving experience please take it easy. A whole lot different than driving down south. Have a safe trip. And for gawd's sake bring a coat!!!
Old 01-11-2004, 07:50 PM
Banned

CHANGE your fuel filter if in doubt change your fuel filter.........repeat after me thats what plugs up with parifins or microfishes or sharks and dolphins and stuff mostly parafins and not the fish kind
Old 01-12-2004, 07:20 AM

dam,

this cold weather sounds like a whole new experience. just kidding as i grew up in detroit but left there for warm climates jan 1968 (read viet nam). stayed in the marines in warm weather till now but must go get my mother moved out of that cold north.

thanks for all the information,
david hawkins
Old 01-12-2004, 09:07 AM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

Here ya go.
http://www.ohsp.state.mi.us/rw/home.htm

By chance do you run synthetic oil? This will be a benefit in the cold weather. If not, don't wrry much about it. You cut a piece of cardboard to cover half your radiator to help it warm up. Keep a cord handy, you might find a cooperative hotel. Just take your foot off the throttle on bridges, slow before the ramps, try to avoid steering and braking at the same time. The vehicle may do better than you think in the bad weather, sometimes people just expect it to do too much at once.

Don
Old 01-12-2004, 09:17 AM

Also, make sure your batteries are up to snuff. Mine are getting bad, and I am am hoping to limp through this Winter.

Semper Fi David!

Matt
Old 01-12-2004, 02:57 PM

how important is it to cover half of my radiator with cardboard? and how do i know when to do this?

sempe fi,
david hawkins
Old 01-12-2004, 02:58 PM

i mean semper fi
Old 01-12-2004, 03:02 PM

If ya mess up on a post, you can click the edit button at the bottom of your post and reopen it to correct mistakes.

Quick Reply: cold weather driving