Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Cold drafts under kitchen cabinets

Old 02-05-2011, 01:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was thinking any heat that could pass thru the hole around the pipe would be a good thing....foam would block that....If the pipe is on external wall the cold is traped in the wall around the pipes an air passage on the inside around them might help...I might be confused as its early ...
Old 02-05-2011, 03:20 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Shorts
Can you explain a little more about letting heat into the wall with foam please?

Two of the four sinks have pipes on the ext wall. One is even on the north side Now, I can probably make an assumption about the workers that built this house and it would probably explain why the location of the plumbing in the walls wasn't a consideration House was built in '85.
Only heat that would be loss to the wall cavity comes from the hot water line.......probably a max of 160 degrees.........most likely not enough to be combustible........may protect the cold water line from freezing. THe two lines you speak of are most likely hot and cold water lines. Very common in DFW area to have lines in exterior wall under a window giving you a view from the kitchen to the outside. If you are concerned about the heat, you could always sleeve the hot pipe and fill the void around it with either fire resistant caulk or mineral wool.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by annabelle
Very common in DFW area to have lines in exterior wall under a window giving you a view from the kitchen to the outside. If you are concerned about the heat, you could always sleeve the hot pipe and fill the void around it with either fire resistant caulk or mineral wool.
Our kitchen sink is like that. We do have 2x6 exterior walls, with NuWool insulation, housewrap and all brick. I have never felt a draft anywhere, except below 1 door occasionaly. But I think I have that fixed now.
Old 02-06-2011, 05:18 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
During extreme cold weather, leave a cabinet door open at night or during the day wherever you have a faucet, ie kitchen sink, vanities, laundry cabinets etc. to let the room heat in.

Running pipes up exterior walls is a construction practice that is ok except in the rare instances where the freeze event is constant, like Alaska and the extreme climate regions, otherwise its fine for years and years until we get an abnormally cold event like the one hitting us right now.

You can also crack the faucets open to a dribble to keep earth warm water running thru them to kee from freezing.

This is an abnormal weather cycle, adapt to it this year and maybe for a couple more and plan ahead and you can avoid a lot of these freeze problems in your homes and buildings.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I always had a cool spot around the front door,
installed one of these and made a huge difference:
http://www.larsondoors.com/storm_doors/products/236_sx
The install was more involved than I thought but if I can do it anyone can
Old 02-07-2011, 08:26 AM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Your cabinets are lifted off the floor so they can be leveled during installation. They were most likely built in a shop and brought onto the sight. There's probably a hump in the slab somewhere in the kitchen that caused them to be raised that far to obtain a level counter. I know as I've done cabinetry for 30 years plus now. There should have been a moulding already ran around the base to close that gap. it usually is not done when the cabs are installed because the finished floor is not there yet. Shoe moulding is what would go there.