Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Christmas stuff

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2002, 07:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Christmas stuff

[quote author=Sierra Phil link=board=10;threadid=5571;start=15#49275 date=1033954237]
I was a great depression child..........[/quote]

Awww geez. Here we go. Phil you sound like my 80 year old father-in-law (who I love like my own dad by the way). He's always telling me that "everyone should go thru a Great Depression" in order to appreciate the things they have today. So suffering is good, and made you a better person, right? Going to bed hungry after having a bowl of boiled potatos, water and ketchup. Waking up in the middle of the night and high-tailing out to a freezing, stinking outhouse. Searching for orange crates and bits of coal on the railroad tracks to heat an already freezing, drafty home. A weekly bath? There's something good about this? This is supposed to make us a better society? I am a 50's child. I wasn't spoiled at Christmas, but I received my fair share of presents. But you know what my parents and your parents had in common? They were there physically for their kids. They knew where we were going, and what we were doing, and were in our lives at all times. So, that's how we raised our kids in the 70's, despite an overly generous Santa. We taught our kids to appreciate what they have, and to thank the Lord every day for it. We also taught them to share what they have with the less fortunate. I never was able to afford to take my kids to Disney World, but my wife was there when they left for school, and was there when they came home, and I worked a second job to send them both thru 12 years of parochial school. In my opinion, that's what's absent from many homes and families today. I agree with you though on missing values. Yes, many common sense values, morals, and "scruples" as my mom refers to them are gone, probably never to return. Will I be preaching my own version of "when I was a kid" 20 years from now? Maybe. What I'm saying is that our over-induldgent Christmas' worked for us. The kids loved it and so did we. My only regret now is the basement full of old toys that nobody wants. ;D
Old 10-08-2002, 07:45 AM

Just remember that christmas brings ( JOY ) Jesus others and yourself if you put Jesus first others second and yourself last you will always have JOY !
Old 10-08-2002, 08:18 AM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

When I was little I had to walk 10 miles to school barefoot in 3 feet of snow and it was uphill both ways!. And that was after putting in 6 hours doing chores that morning!
Old 10-08-2002, 08:24 AM

[quote author=SFtopSGT link=board=10;threadid=5571;start=30#49762 date=1034083116]<br>When I was little I had to walk 10 miles to school barefoot in 3 feet of snow and it was uphill both ways!. And that was after putting in 6 hours doing chores that morning! <br>[/quote]<br><br>You musta known my dad then.
Old 10-08-2002, 05:40 PM

[quote author=Commatoze link=board=10;threadid=5571;start=30#49744 date=1034080718]<br>Awww geez. Here we go. Phil you sound like my 80 year old father-in-law (who I love like my own dad by the way). He's always telling me that &quot;everyone should go thru a Great Depression&quot; in order to appreciate the things they have today. So suffering is good, and made you a better person, right? Going to bed hungry after having a bowl of boiled potatos, water and ketchup. Waking up in the middle of the night and high-tailing out to a freezing, stinking outhouse. Searching for orange crates and bits of coal on the railroad tracks to heat an already freezing, drafty home. A weekly bath? There's something good about this? This is supposed to make us a better society? I am a 50's child. I wasn't spoiled at Christmas, but I received my fair share of presents. But you know what my parents and your parents had in common? They were there physically for their kids. They knew where we were going, and what we were doing, and were in our lives at all times. So, that's how we raised our kids in the 70's, despite an overly generous Santa. We taught our kids to appreciate what they have, and to thank the Lord every day for it. We also taught them to share what they have with the less fortunate. I never was able to afford to take my kids to Disney World, but my wife was there when they left for school, and was there when they came home, and I worked a second job to send them both thru 12 years of parochial school. In my opinion, that's what's absent from many homes and families today. I agree with you though on missing values. Yes, many common sense values, morals, and &quot;scruples&quot; as my mom refers to them are gone, probably never to return. Will I be preaching my own version of &quot;when I was a kid&quot; 20 years from now? Maybe. What I'm saying is that our over-induldgent Christmas' worked for us. The kids loved it and so did we. My only regret now is the basement full of old toys that nobody wants. ;D<br>[/quote]<br><br><br>Amen!