Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Chop saw

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 07:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Chop saw

I went shopping for an abrasive cutoff today.Couldnt find an American tool at all the places I visited. Ridgid = China. Dewalt= Asian (I forget).I ended up buying a Milwaukee,it came from Taiwan. All the American tools I grew up with are from foreign countries. Sorry for the rant ,but it ticks me off.
Old 10-16-2006, 07:46 PM

I can't say I blame them. It is cheaper for a manufacturer to have these foreign manufacturers make their stuff & then ship it here. Besides, look how long a foreign made vehicle runs. Then look at an US one. I bet the foreign one goes waaay longer.
Old 10-16-2006, 07:50 PM

I bet that is exactly what all the guys that worked in those American factories were saying when they got laid off.
Old 10-16-2006, 08:02 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

I worked at a factory that was closed to go to Mexico.
I was involved with alot of the engineering to make the product manufacturable on that level.
After working with the local guys and the Mexican managers, I really dont blame the company for making that choice. Everyone here felt like the company owed them something extra for showing up for work. Alot of the shop guys were journeymen electrician and pipefitters, and they acted like children if they disagreed with someone. I have saw people walk out the door because some non union member picked up a screw driver off the floor for them. I have saw them goof off all day and do absolutely NOTHING. It was insane how much they could get away with.
Old 10-16-2006, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by kelley15
I bet that is exactly what all the guys that worked in those American factories were saying when they got laid off.
While it is unfortunate that people got laid off, why do think it happened? It's cheaper to go overseas.
Old 10-16-2006, 08:42 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Fronty Owner
I worked at a factory that was closed to go to Mexico.
I was involved with alot of the engineering to make the product manufacturable on that level.
After working with the local guys and the Mexican managers, I really dont blame the company for making that choice. Everyone here felt like the company owed them something extra for showing up for work. Alot of the shop guys were journeymen electrician and pipefitters, and they acted like children if they disagreed with someone. I have saw people walk out the door because some non union member picked up a screw driver off the floor for them. I have saw them goof off all day and do absolutely NOTHING. It was insane how much they could get away with.
AMEN! We did it to ourselves boys, we did it to ourselves.

What's next? the average autoworker makes $70 / hour with bennies & retirement. Are U kidding me? To turn a screw?
Old 10-16-2006, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by Geico266
AMEN! We did it to ourselves boys, we did it to ourselves.

What's next? the average autoworker makes $70 / hour with bennies & retirement. Are U kidding me? To turn a screw?
However, do something well, do it cost effectively, and you can compete.

Our former owners put our product in china. 5 years later when their oil program picked back up, they were ordering spare parts from us. Why? because they couldn't match the quality for the cost.
Old 10-16-2006, 09:04 PM

I used my Stihl today and it cut GREAT!

Then I used my Asian DeWalt Circular, Impact Driver, Recip. Saw and Drywall Gun...

They worked great!
Old 10-16-2006, 09:12 PM

You guys are right why support your own country when communist China can do it cheaper. I will be stepping down from my soap box now. I guess we all have choices. As for me I will by American when I am able.
Old 10-16-2006, 09:30 PM

they do it cheaper because they are 1. willing to do the job that needs to be done. 2. don't feel that they deserve to be supported just because they can breed. 3. do not have to have a lawyer there to make sure they aren't infringing on someone else for scratching their butts.
Old 10-16-2006, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by kelley15
You communist China can do it cheaper.
Communist or not, if it is cheaper & works as good or better, I'm all for it. I don't think they have it all that bad though. I know there are some bad places in the world, but I really don't think the main manufacturers are that bad. Not a fact, just guessing.
Old 10-16-2006, 09:33 PM

Its not so much that china is bad, they just put safety on a back burner to getting a job done. and despite making everything in the world, they have NOTHING. They wont buy a forklift if they can hire 15 people to hand carry something.

edit: altho, the chinese do put sanitation a distant third from safety.
Old 10-16-2006, 09:40 PM

ehhh, they have plenty of people to spare.

Just joking
Old 10-16-2006, 09:50 PM

no, they really do have plenty to spare. which is why wages are low and they can get away with using people instead of equipment.
Old 10-16-2006, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by Fronty Owner
Its not so much that china is bad, they just put safety on a back burner to getting a job done. and despite making everything in the world, they have NOTHING. They wont buy a forklift if they can hire 15 people to hand carry something.

edit: altho, the chinese do put sanitation a distant third from safety.
Well just think...That was 15 jobs instead of just one forklift opperator. I bet that they were just glad to have the job. It is sad how Americans have allowed our standards to fall so low that the Chineese could even compete. By the way...The GM plant in Morain Ohio have given all the new people that come in only $8/hour, and a cap of just $12/hour. The old Union workers cut the throat of the young guy trying to get a start, before the youngins cut their monster pensions. Crazy. It seems that the Union shops around here keep getting shut down. Some times just to be reopened with less jobs, and lower pay. Also not allowing Unions in, with threats of going to China if they get brought back in. Who can doubt the validity with the amount of company's that have done just that. I am waitin for Wal-Mart to only hire Mexicans for all their positions, and start paying pennies on the hour.

Quick Reply: Chop saw