Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Cat owners more intelligent than dog owners

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 06:46 PM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
We had a wonderful lab neighborhood dog for a while. I don't think he thought he was owned and the "owners" were smart enough to not try to keep him fenced in. My neighbor (not the owner) only locked her door when she was gone because when she would come home he'd be asleep on the couch. The dog knew how to open the front door and when to do it.

Most dogs do have "owners" or "pack leaders", cats have a "staff".
Old 02-07-2010, 11:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C'mon, this is easy.

People who "own" a dog really know they own it. It is obedient and comes when you call it; there is a clear master/servant relationship. A morsel of food from your hand is like manna from heaven. If it wanders away, the pound will call you to come get it, cuz it's got a dog tag registered to you. A dog owner knows he has a piece of chattel and the dog knows it, too.

A cat "owner" is delusional if they think that they own a cat. The average cat has no sense of loyalty and they will adopt a new family for slightly better food, or curtains that feel better on its claws. Most municipalities acknowledge the mercenary nature of cats by not requiring cats to be licensed. If yours goes missing, it's your responsibility to call the shelter- they ain't calling you. No problem, though; just set out a bowl of food and another cat will show up to take its place. Maybe his last "owner" had a lower grade of chow, or your sofa cushions looked remarkably unshredded but you've now got a new furry hobo spraying his mark on your walls and furniture to blot out the smell of your last feline parasite. If someone attributed "the morals of an alley cat" to your wife, you'd probably break out the shovel and a .45 in reply.

Therefore, one identifying himself as a dog owner is simply stating a fact.

One calling himself a cat owner, though, is indulging in fantasy- a hopeless romantic at best or suffering a break with reality at worst. Either way, the truth is absent. Speaking a falsehood as if it was true despite the evidence snoozing atop your freshly folded laundry makes one a little duller-witted than the dog owner cited above.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:15 AM

Dog and Cat servents are both intellegent. Anyone that take a pet in, gives it a good life,and keeps them healthy and happy,are the most intellegent and happy people in the world. The ads on TV that show abused and neglected animals make me sick. Michael Vic should have been stripped of everthing he owns and never been able to play football again. Heres a guy that has millions of dollars and has to dogfight to get he's rocks off. Me personally, I hold that along the same lines as child abuse, rape and murder. My opinion only!!!!
Old 02-08-2010, 09:00 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mexstan
A reminder: The title of the thread is Cat owners more intelligent than dog owners.
This is not a debate as to whether dogs are smarter then cats or vice versa. The debate is about whether the cat OWNERS are smarter than dog owners.
Well, are they?

A few years ago when I was Local Secretary of the local Mensa group, we did a survey of what pets everybody had. Dogs edged out cats by a small margin. We also had quite a few birds, a couple of iguanas and a mountain lion (Puma).

I'm not a cat person but I won't stand around while someone mistreats them. My lady friend is a cat lady. She'd have a dozen if her apartments would let her. When I bought my house, I had a poodle/terrier miix. I moved in on the weekend and when I came home from work Thursday, I found my back door open. My rugs were scattered and the dog was hyper. My neighbors told me the creep people I'd bought my house from were walking around it that day. I changed the locks that day. I already had them but hadn't put them in.

My lady friend's last cat was really a watch cat. Even for a cat, it had an attitude. It knew the maintenance man and would let him in. He had a helper one day and the cat ran him out. The cat was a large neutered tom and he was VERY territorial.

Personally, I like to keep a dog in the house. We have very little trouble around here because of all the barking dogs. That, plus people liable to blow away an intruder, keeps the neighborhood quite quiet. A medium sized mutt is the best. My last dog was about 30 pounds and pretty smart. If I said you were okay, she'd come up to see if you were going to pet her por maybe had something to eat. Try and sneak up on me and you'd see a different side of the dog. I think George Carlin said it best. "Dogs are better than cats because they have eye brows. Cats don't have eye brows and it annoys them".
Old 02-08-2010, 09:57 AM

Received 421 Likes on 322 Posts
My wife says I'm not very smart. But I like cats because they are cold blooded killers. Are cats smart? I think so. But what do I know, I'm married.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:59 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Well maybe Cat owners are a tad brighter.......there is something to be said for keeping a pet that can be used as an oven mitt in a pinch
Old 02-08-2010, 01:39 PM
Administrator ........ DTR's puttin fires out and workin on big trucks admin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I still wonder how bagpipe players get a cat stuffed into the bag?
Old 02-08-2010, 07:00 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
Does this mean I am dumber since my cat died 6 years ago and now I only have a dog. Wait a minute...this sure explains some things!

Kurt
Old 02-08-2010, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by stinkindiesel
C'mon, this is easy.

People who "own" a dog really know they own it. It is obedient and comes when you call it; there is a clear master/servant relationship. A morsel of food from your hand is like manna from heaven. If it wanders away, the pound will call you to come get it, cuz it's got a dog tag registered to you. A dog owner knows he has a piece of chattel and the dog knows it, too.

A cat "owner" is delusional if they think that they own a cat. The average cat has no sense of loyalty and they will adopt a new family for slightly better food, or curtains that feel better on its claws. Most municipalities acknowledge the mercenary nature of cats by not requiring cats to be licensed. If yours goes missing, it's your responsibility to call the shelter- they ain't calling you. No problem, though; just set out a bowl of food and another cat will show up to take its place. Maybe his last "owner" had a lower grade of chow, or your sofa cushions looked remarkably unshredded but you've now got a new furry hobo spraying his mark on your walls and furniture to blot out the smell of your last feline parasite. If someone attributed "the morals of an alley cat" to your wife, you'd probably break out the shovel and a .45 in reply.

Therefore, one identifying himself as a dog owner is simply stating a fact.

One calling himself a cat owner, though, is indulging in fantasy- a hopeless romantic at best or suffering a break with reality at worst. Either way, the truth is absent. Speaking a falsehood as if it was true despite the evidence snoozing atop your freshly folded laundry makes one a little duller-witted than the dog owner cited above.
I have to agree with him
Old 02-08-2010, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by Hvytrkmech
I still wonder how bagpipe players get a cat stuffed into the bag?

BAAAAAAHAAAAAHAAAAAA,............BAAAAAAAAAAHAAAAA AAHAAAAAAHAAAAAHAAAAAHAAAAAHAAAAAHHAAAAAA........o w ow ow.... BAAAAAAAAHAAAAAHAAAAHAAaaaa....

Thanks man. I needed that today
Old 02-08-2010, 10:26 PM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

When I think of cat owners, I think of a liberal mindset. Liberals always seem to think they know best.
Old 02-08-2010, 11:28 PM

When you come right down to it, dog ownership or cat ownership doesn't indicate intelligence. Recognizing that both dogs and cats are made out of meat, on the other hand...

Times are tough, and I'm just sayin'...
Old 02-08-2010, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by stinkindiesel
When you come right down to it, dog ownership or cat ownership doesn't indicate intelligence. Recognizing that both dogs and cats are made out of meat, on the other hand...

Times are tough, and I'm just sayin'...
The right dog will help you get meat.

Teach a man to fish...
Old 02-09-2010, 12:02 AM
Administrator ........ DTR's puttin fires out and workin on big trucks admin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Redleg
The right dog will help you get meat.

Teach a man to fish...

I have a very large cat, he is gray and white and looks like a bob cat. he will come home after being gone for 3-4 days, lye on the floor and let me tear ticks off of him without even flinching. He will eat then sleep for a few hours then off he goes. He kills and brings home more animals than I can count. there is not a dog in the entire neighborhood that has not been assaulted and beat down by this cat. I find it amazing on how gentle an loving he is with my family, yet goes out and kills everything he can.

It is safe to say I do not have a mouse, bird, rabbit, snake, mole, raccoon, squirrel, chipmunk, beaver, turtle, fish or neighbors dog problem.
Old 02-09-2010, 12:29 AM

I've seen cats that were raised to THINK they were dogs, so if they think they're dogs, then they don't count as being called a cat, right?

Quick Reply: Cat owners more intelligent than dog owners