Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Car Depreciation

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 12:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car Depreciation

I have a 2010 Nissan Altima SR 3.5 that has 16000 miles that has been really good care of ,not a blemish on it , that got hit from behind setting at a red traffic light, Tuesday last week. The estimate as of now is about $13,000.00. I hope the issurance will totaled the car, but the body shop seems to think will repair it.
Will the car lose value now that has been wricked. Do I lose that money or does the insurance company for the differance. Looking for advice. Thanks
Old 07-17-2012, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Field_boss_cb
I have a 2010 Nissan Altima SR 3.5 that has 16000 miles that has been really good care of ,not a blemish on it , that got hit from behind setting at a red traffic light, Tuesday last week. The estimate as of now is about $13,000.00. I hope the issurance will totaled the car, but the body shop seems to think will repair it.
Will the car lose value now that has been wricked. Do I lose that money or does the insurance company for the differance. Looking for advice. Thanks
This will come up when the new prospective buyer runs a " car fax " on your vehicle's history.Of course IF YOU make the insurance adjuster aware that you ARE A DEMANDING CUSTOMER and WILL ONLY ACCEPT PERFECTION,and no less,then the balance could tilt in your favor.Then you could cash out or have a used replacement vehicle provided for by the insurance co.Just my $.03 worth.
Old 07-17-2012, 04:39 PM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by irocpractice
This will come up when the new prospective buyer runs a " car fax " on your vehicle's history.Of course IF YOU make the insurance adjuster aware that you ARE A DEMANDING CUSTOMER and WILL ONLY ACCEPT PERFECTION,and no less,then the balance could tilt in your favor.Then you could cash out or have a used replacement vehicle provided for by the insurance co.Just my $.03 worth.
THIS!!!!!!! Make sure they know you will be crawling all over and under the car looking for apparent unfixed crash damage, and if you find any, will not accept the repair. You expect to be made whole with a car that was as good after the accident as it was before.

Lots of shops just partially beat out floor pans, inner structure, etc, dead giveaway that it has been hammered.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:40 PM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

Yes! This is one case where you need to be a jerk if you have to.
In 1988 my 1986 Subaru got hit in the side. After repairs it felt a little funny sometimes but I didn't pursue it right away.
Later after I had noticed some weird tire wear I had an alignment shop inform me that my frame was slightly bent. To late to try filing another claim.
To get it fixed right would have cost me a lot of bucks and it still would have devalued the car.
Old 07-18-2012, 02:01 PM

Thanks guys for your imput!
Old 07-18-2012, 02:59 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
My angle would be that the impact to induce 13K in body damage certainly disrupted other unforseen things that may show up at the worst possible time and could not possibly be returned to factory condition. Safety Features in "as new" condition would be expected, yet unattainable without dismantling the car entirely.

Just a thought......
Old 07-18-2012, 09:10 PM

Yes the vehicle will be worth less. Carfax will show it as a major incident and thus your car willbe worth less. Most times when a vehicle gets damaged by someone else then repaired you are still entitled to an additional monetary adjustment called "diminished value". Although I don't know if this applies in all states. Be sure to consult with your agent or knowledgable party.