Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Can I go back to the "old" Internet Explorer?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 12:51 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can I go back to the "old" Internet Explorer?

A few weeks ago my computer pops up and says "Update Internet Explorer".

So I say "Okay".

And now I have this Mozilla rip-off.

So Microsoft, lets think this through for a second. If anybody on the planet wanted to use something like Mozilla, THEY WOULD GO AND DOWNLOAD MOZILLA FOR FREE AND USE IT!!!. But, instead of catering to their very select cadre of faithful, Microsoft decided to try and rip off their competitors and isolate those of us faithful that remained by throwing all of these bells and whistles at us.

Now, I wouldn't mind the bells and whistles if I could just ignore them and go on doing what I've been doing since Windows 3.1; open up multiple copies of the single program, and ALT+TAB between them.

Only problem is, now with this new Internet Explorer, my computer (which is like a 1.3 GHz Pentium M and 480 MB of ram ) is too slow to function with multiple copies of Internet Explorer. Whenever I go to open a new copy, it takes about 20 seconds to load and bogs down my system resources! Argh! I could have 20 copies of the old IE open at the same time and it wouldn't blink! Now I can't have more than three!

So is it possible to go back to Internet Explorer 6? Or is there a free totally bare-bones browser without all this "tabbed-browsing" garbage that won't hog all my resources?
Old 01-05-2007, 06:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am pretty sure the answer is no, isn't that why everyone was saying don't upgrade, because you can't go back
Old 01-05-2007, 06:22 AM

you can disable tabbed browsing.... in your browser go to Tools/Internet Options/General... near the bottom of the General "Tab" there is a settings button for tabbed browsing...

I don't know if it will help with your resource issues.

When I "upgraded" to IE 7 I used it for about 2 minutes before I decided it wasn't for me.... I'm a firefox user now as it doesn't seem to be a resource hog.
Old 01-05-2007, 06:47 AM
Chapter President

I've been using 7.0 for a few weeks now and like it pretty well. After a few initial tweeks and getting used to it, it works fine . Mine was slowed a little until I turned off the "pishing" function, but now, it's as fast as ever.
Old 01-05-2007, 06:54 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I understand that IE digs its claws petty deep into the OS's kernel.
Id guess that "going back" would be difficult at best.

May I suggest an alternative like "FireFox"?

Rich.
Old 01-05-2007, 06:55 AM

IF you go to add/remove programs you can remove IE 7, don't know if you will still have IE after doing this though. You would be a canidate to find out.
Old 01-05-2007, 07:16 AM
FDC

Originally Posted by spitfire9137
IF you go to add/remove programs you can remove IE 7, don't know if you will still have IE after doing this though. You would be a canidate to find out.

Supposedly this works, and you'll go back to IE6.

I don't know, as I like 7.0. Simply disable the stupid phishing filter, and enable tabbed browsing, and you have a good browser.
I've been using that Mozilla browser that everyone from other forums keeps praising, and I'm not impressed. I figured I'd try it, and now I use it interchangeably with IE 7.0.
Old 01-05-2007, 07:21 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
yep, i looked at the screen on 7.0, could not find anything i recognized.
and went to control panel & removed it, no problems.

wife did same thing.

Mozilla is nice with the automatic spell checker.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:46 AM

you can uninstall and go back to 6 (like mentioned above). we've been having some problems with compatibility here for our timeclock systems.

you can always do a system restore back to a time prior to installing it also (you will NOT lose any documents like this)
Old 01-05-2007, 05:06 PM

Go to add/remove programs and remove it. It will go back to IE6. I did it on my two computers and it worked fine.
Old 01-05-2007, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by slim51015
Go to add/remove programs and remove it. It will go back to IE6. I did it on my two computers and it worked fine.
Yea, thats what I did about 30 minutes after installing 7. I had problems immediately after I installed, when back to 6 and all is well!
Old 01-05-2007, 08:00 PM

yea 7 sucks!! bogs my home comp down so much think it has tons of bugs but it's clean i'm gonna dump 7 too.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:12 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

I would love to be able to make IE look and act like Mozilla.

I use Mozilla at home and on the company laptop. the netnazis uninstall it every weekend on my office computer. "no unauthorized software"
Old 01-05-2007, 10:19 PM
Chapter President

As I said before, turn off the "pishing" option and see if it speeds up. IE7, to me is just like any new software, once you get it set up to your taste, it works quite well.
Old 01-06-2007, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by crobtex
As I said before, turn off the "pishing" option and see if it speeds up. IE7, to me is just like any new software, once you get it set up to your taste, it works quite well.

Thanks Charlie, i did this and noticed it made it a lot quicker! anything else to disable?

brian

Quick Reply: Can I go back to the "old" Internet Explorer?