Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

a/c compressor on my 96 civic ????

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2004, 10:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question a/c compressor on my 96 civic ????

The clutch on the A/C compressor is shot. I started up yest. a.m. and it started making a terrible screeching noise. The a/c quit blowing cold too.

I took the belt off that runs the compressor. I am wondering if the compressor can still be good. Can I just change out the clutch and keep going?

I am planning on letting someone else do the work becuase I hate working on little engine. My hands are too big to fit in there, and I dont have the patience. I am just wondering If the compressor can still be good.

thanks
Phillip
Old 08-18-2004, 05:50 PM

PK, Whether the clutch clutched or the compressor crapped is fairly easy to diagnose. If you switch the A/C to off and the belt is squealing cause the shaft aint turning means that the compressor prolly has locked up... Get your wallet out cause those little Nippodenso compressors usually come with a hefty price tag. I helped a bud change one out a few years back and the #$550.00 comes to mind just for the compressor, (not to mention all the other stuff ya gotta change/clean when ya install a new one).

Good luck with it!!!

Gary
Old 08-19-2004, 07:09 AM

well that makes me think bad thoughts....

I do remember It was turning. THe compressor was not totally locked up, and the squeeling was not the belt. The squeeling was coming from the clutch area. Also, if it makes a diff, the compressor was not hot to the touch. I cut the belt off so that I could drive it if i need to.

thanks Gary

edit:

When you say the shaft is not turning, Do you mean that the whole clutch, pully and all is not turning? And the belt is being forced around the pully?
Old 08-19-2004, 07:16 AM

More than likely the clutch bearing went. This means that an A/C clutch should get you going. Seen it happen before. just my .002
Old 08-19-2004, 07:30 AM

Its funny how things happen. YOu know the old saying,,,,when it rains, it pours.

Tuesday night was when I looked it over. I pulled it up to the front of the shop, and popped the hood. I didnt pull it in becuase my boat was inside the shop. Well, I diagnosed the problem, and my uncle shows up. He decides to help me remove the belt (he has the sharp knife...lol). Its getting dark, so we decide to push the boat to the side a little, and pull the car into the shop enough to get some light. I get in the car and start it up, and intended on pulling in with the hood up. I look in the rearview mirror checking my surroudings like always do before moving a vehicle(eventhough i was moving forward, its just a habit), and I hear a metal, grinding sound, and a few explicatives. My unlce tried lowering the hood, and didnt pull the little supporting rod out. He thought the hood was spring loaded, and did a little "custom shaping" to the hood.. I should be mad, but im not. IT happens.

Well, what sucks is, my wife had a lady that wants to buy it. SHe was going to come look at it this weekend. Well, the wife told her the A/C was giving us trouble, and lady didnt seem to mind. Now we have to tell her the hood is a little bent.

I knew I should have traded this car in a few weeks ago when I had the chance!
Old 08-19-2004, 09:12 AM

PK, if the compressor shaft wasn't frozen stiff, then like sharp said, the bearings have gone south...lucky you!!!! as far as the hood, tell the lady that wants to buy it that the car was made from a mid 70's chevy pickup, and that the hoods always buckled on those....

Sorry bout the crinkle..

Gary