Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Buying "the ring". Where to shop ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 04:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buying "the ring". Where to shop ?

I've got a budget set aside and am planning to buy within the next month. Any suggestions as to where to buy from? Jewelry shops in the mall seem obvious, but I'm afraid they will be more expensive due to their location.
Old 11-01-2007, 04:33 PM
Banned

get a fake one and call it a day, she will never know
Old 11-01-2007, 04:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JD Dearden
get a fake one and call it a day, she will never know
X2 if you make it to 10 years swap it out with a real one...

good luck btw

brett
Old 11-01-2007, 04:53 PM

Be sure you intended don't know diamonds before you go the fake route, my wife and daughter both know diamonds, and can spot a fake. Do some searching on line on diamonds, prices and the 4 CCCC carets, cut, clarity and color. With a bit of study, you will know what the ring should cost. Check the large sellers of rings on line for prices.
Good luck,
Old 11-01-2007, 04:57 PM
Banned

On a serious note I do know a wholeseller whatever guy that sells to the mall rats problem is he is in SLC I bought a ring from him and saved about 25%, If you want his number i can give it to you, Rocky Mountain Diamond
Old 11-01-2007, 05:52 PM

I went with Blue Nile and could not be more pleased, the wife loves it too. 1.5ct Ascher cut platinum. We went to several places in Houston and found that online was a little cheaper and quality was same if not better. Any ? let me know. Brad
Old 11-01-2007, 07:09 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Remember that most women don't care how big the rock is. It's my opinion the the guys who spend way too much on a ring do it for THEIR EGO, not for their lady.

Keep the budget in mind, and always choose a smaller high quality stone over a larger low quality one. For example, a stone that's nearly colorless and rated VS1 or better for clarity will sparkle like you wouldn't believe if the cut is good. Here's imo what you want to look for in order of importance:

- Cut. The finest stones around won't sparkle without a great cut, and a great cut can make a mediocre stone look like a superhero
- Clarity. This determines how much sparkle a given quality of cut can deliver. The more inclusions in the stone, the more light will be lost.
- Color. The closer to colorless a stone is, the more it will cost and the more dramatic will the rainbow of colors be. That said, a somewhat colored stone can still sparkle incredibly well, so I wouldn't pay extra for a whiter stone.
- Carat wt. Go as big as you can reasonably afford. Sometimes you have to go a little bigger to get the quality you want. Usually, you can find 1/3ct stone and larger of reasonable quality. That said, size doesn't matter much imo for this, because a tiny stone of high quality will sparkle from across the room!

Other suggestions:
-- remember you're buying for HER, not you-- so get what SHE wants-- tempered by your superior knowledge and judgement from doing research

-- Consider buying a loose stone and having a local jeweler mount it in a ring. You can often buy better quality stones for less money this way.

-- Consider a 6-prong setting over a 4-prong setting if using gold as the mount, especially a higher grade gold, which is softer and weaker, and more likely to let the stone fall out. A Platinum mount is almost bulletproof, but lotsa $$.

-- Avoid 18K or higher gold for a ring. It's soft and will scratch easily, in addition to the mount issues I mentioned. 10K is actually pretty strong, but don't go over 14K, imo.

Last of all, she's marrying you, not the ring, and a real keeper would be fine with a Cracker Jack decoder ring and a promise of something nicer in later years...

JMO

Justin
Old 11-01-2007, 07:29 PM

When i bought my wife's engagement ring i got it at samuels, they cut me a pretty good deal. As for the wedding band, it came from the Zales outlet over in Cedar Hill. That place had some smoking deals, but they just have what ever they happen to get in, so you never know what they are gonna have in stock. But if you are on somewhat of a budget it is well worth the drive out there. It's off of 67 and 1382 in Cedar Hill.
Old 11-01-2007, 07:39 PM

I'm just a fireman, so the budget is something around 2k dollars. Fake is not an option for me either.

I appreciate the time you guys took to offer the advice. I'll keep researching.
Old 11-01-2007, 07:48 PM

local independent jewelers get to know them well I did they saved me a lot of green.
Old 11-01-2007, 07:53 PM

I too am a fireman and had a budget. The ring was within that budget, hopefully I only have to do this once and went for it. Check Blue Nile online you won't be disappointed.
Old 11-01-2007, 08:00 PM
Banned

get this for her

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=5623370

and some new things for the truck for you

brett
Old 11-01-2007, 08:09 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Hohn has some really good info there... along with the others that say that it's not the size, but the intentions. Don't get me wrong, don't get her a chip, but you do not have to go all out.

What I did with my wife, when we got married, I was a LCpl (E-3) in the Marine Corps, and making about 900 a month after taxes. We got a small set, but shopped around later and I let her pick out what she wanted. Since you have a budget, I would take her out to see what style she likes, and let her show you what to get. You don't have to take her 'serious' ring shopping, but just go have some fun putting rings on, make an afternoon of it.

BTW, I still have my $50 Walmart 10k plain gold band...

Ok, I'm done now...

Good luck, and congrats!
Old 11-01-2007, 08:10 PM

Avoid the mall stores. You can get better quality for less money. I let my girlfriend pick the ring out so I knew exactly what she wanted. I went through a local private dealer.
Old 11-01-2007, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by KAyers
planning to buy within the next month.
If it is a shotgun wedding go cheap on the ring. If it is not a shotgun wedding go cheap on the ring.

My experience with failed marriages has led me to believe we spend way to much time caught up in the commercial hype surrounding the whole affair. If the important stuff was talked about up front posts would discuss the important stuff...who gets to park in the garage...should I EVER HAVE to drive the minivan...do we really like each other?

Sorry my brother, all the other questions cost me more.

In twenty years or so you will laugh at this.

Quick Reply: Buying "the ring". Where to shop ?