Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Bread and baked goodies thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2006, 05:02 AM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Bread and baked goodies thread

Alright all of you culinary masters of the kitchen, here is the official DTR Bread and Baked Goodies Thread. This thread is for all manner of baked breads and desserts.

I want to kick this one off with a couple of great bread recipes that I have.

Honey Wheat Bread

3-4 Cups of whole wheat flour
1 tsp of salt
2 tsp of sugar
1/3 cup of honey
1/4 cup of oil (veggie or olive)
2 packet of bakers yeast = 1/2 ounce (do not use the rapid rise yeast, just the normal bakers yeast)
1/2 cup warm water (between 100-110° F, too hot and you will kill the yeast, too cold and the yeast won't culture)
5/8 cup of warm water (between 100-110° F)

5x9 loaf pan

Start by culturing the yeast :

Use the 1/2 cup of warm water and add the 2 tsp of sugar to it. Then take the yeast and add that too. Stir it good and let sit (note : some of the yeast will stick to the spoon and it may not dissolve fully. this is OK. Scrape as much yeast off the spoon and put into the water, it will dissolve as it cultures). Let it sit 5-10 minutes. It will froth and rise in the container so don't be alarmed.

While the yeast cultures, put the flour in a large bowl and add the salt. Prep for adding the wet ingredients, remaining water, oil, honey, and yeast mix. When the yeast is ready add all of the wet ingredients and stir by hand. You want the dough to be thick and difficult to stir, add some flour if it is too thin. Sprinkle some flour onto a counter top or other clean flat surface. put the dough on the surface, its time to knead it. Sprinkle flour on top and start working the dough. If it is sticking to your fingers work in more flour. Do not be afraid to add flour. You will have to occasionally sprinkle more flour onto the work surface. You have to knead the dough continously for 10 minutes. You want the consistency to be firm but pliable, it should not stick to anything. After 10 minutes of kneading, lightly grease a clean medium-large bowl. Put the dough in the bowl and cover with a clean kitchen towel. Set the bowl in a somewhat warm, draft free area. Leave it alone for 1 hour, this is the first rise.

After 1 hour "punch down" the dough. This means to make a fist and lighly press down the dough to release the trapped air. Then dust another counter top with some flour and put the dough on that. Lightly grease a 5x9 loaf pan. Use a rolling pin and roll the dough flat. You want the rolled dough to have a width of no more than 9 inches (it has to fit a 5x9 loaf pan), you can fold and roll flat to achieve this. Once you have the proper width, grab an end and start rolling the dough (like a jelly roll). Make the roll as tight as possible so as to eliminate large air pockets from the finished product. Pinch the seam at the end of the roll, and place seam side down in the loaf pan. Cover with the clean towel and let rise (2nd rise) for 30 minutes to an hour. 15-20 minutes prior to putting the bread in the oven, preheat the oven to 375° F. After 2nd rise, uncover and put on a middle rack in the oven. Bake for 30-35 minutes. The top will be nicely browned on top when done. When you pull it from the oven, turn the bread pan over and shake the bread loose onto a cooling rack and place right side up. Let cool and enjoy.
Old 11-17-2006, 05:45 AM
Administrator

This is a recipe I created:

J.R.'s Dodge Diesel's Spicy Parmesan Oregano bread/pizza crust/bread bowls

4 cups all-purpose flour
¼ cup olive oil
1 tsp salt
2 tsp sugar
1½ warm water (100-110° F too hot and you will kill the yeast, too cold and the yeast won't culture)
2 packets (½ ounce) of bakers yeast (don't use the rapid rise yeast)

note, the above measurements will be a double batch (2 loaves of bread, 2 medium pizza crusts or one of each. Reduce all measurements by ½ for a single batch)

2 tbsp Oregano
1 tbsp ground red pepper
1 tbsp crushed red pepper flake (optional)
¼ cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese (please don't use that canned cheese for this, it turns out better with a grated block of Parmesan, trust me)

Start by culturing the yeast :

Use the 1/2 cup of warm water and add the 2 tsp of sugar to it. Then take the yeast and add that too. Stir it good and let sit (note : some of the yeast will stick to the spoon and it may not dissolve fully. this is OK. Scrape as much yeast off the spoon and put into the water, it will dissolve as it cultures). Let it sit 5-10 minutes. It will froth and rise in the container so don't be alarmed.

While the yeast cultures, put the flour in a large bowl and add the salt, grated cheese, oregano, and pepper. Mix the dry ingredients by hand now. Prep for adding the wet ingredients; the remaining water, oil, and yeast mix. When the yeast is ready add all of the wet ingredients and stir by hand. You want the dough to be thick and difficult to stir, add some flour if it is too thin. Sprinkle some flour onto a counter top or other clean flat surface. put the dough on the surface, its time to knead it. Sprinkle flour on top and start working the dough. If it is sticking to your fingers work in more flour. Do not be afraid to add flour. You will have to occasionally sprinkle more flour onto the work surface. You have to knead the dough continously for 10 minutes. You want the consistency to be firm but pliable, it should not stick to anything. After 10 minutes of kneading, lightly grease a clean medium-large bowl. Put the dough in the bowl and cover with a clean kitchen towel. Set the bowl in a somewhat warm, draft free area. Leave it alone for 1 hour, this is the first rise.

After 1 hour "punch down" the dough. This means to make a fist and lighly press down the dough to release the trapped air. Then dust another counter top with some flour and put the dough on that. (See next paragraph for pizza crust method) Lightly grease a 5x9 loaf pan. Use a rolling pin and roll the dough flat. You want the rolled dough to have a width of no more than 9 inches (it has to fit a 5x9 loaf pan), you can fold and roll flat to achieve this. Once you have the proper width, grab an end and start rolling the dough (like a jelly roll). Make the roll as tight as possible so as to eliminate large air pockets from the finished product. Pinch the seam at the end of the roll, and place seam side down in the loaf pan. Cover with the clean towel and let rise (2nd rise) for 30 minutes to an hour. 15-20 minutes prior to putting the bread in the oven, preheat the oven to 375° F. After 2nd rise, uncover and put on a middle rack in the oven. You can sprinkle some Parmesan cheese on top for a lttle extra flavor(just a little). Bake for 30-35 minutes. The top will be nicely browned on top when done. When you pull it from the oven, turn the bread pan over and shake the bread loose onto a cooling rack and place right side up. Let cool and enjoy.

Pizza Crust

After 1st rise, simply punch down the dough and leave it in the bowl. Cover and let rise again for 30-60 minutes. Sprinkle yellow corn meal on the baking sheet or pizza sheet. After 2nd rise, roll out the dough on the corn meal dusted surface into the shape of pizza you desire. Roll the outer edge to form the crust with your fingers. Top with your sauce, cheese, and toppings. Bake at 375° F until cheese starts turning golden brown. Remove from oven, cool and enjoy.

Bread bowls

After 1st rise, punch down the dough and remove from the bowl. Cut the dough into equal portions (double batch makes 6-8 bowls, single batch will make 4). Roll the cut dough between your hands and place dough ball onto a baking sheet. Gently flatten the dough ball until its twice as wide as it is tall. After all dough ***** are prepped and flattened, let rise uncovered for 30-60 minutes and then place in a oven that was preheated to 375° F. Bake until bowls are golden brown on top and remove and place them on a cooling rack. Use a serrated knife and cut out a lid using a slight downward angle on the knife. Remove the lid and pull out the "guts" of the bowl by hand. Keep the chunks that you pull out, they go great with whatever you are putting in the bowl. Now the bowl is ready for soups, stews, dips, or chili.
Old 11-17-2006, 05:49 AM
Administrator

I don't want this thread to end up like the brownie thread did a few weeks ago. There will be zero discussion regarding special/illegal "herbal" ingredients . This is the only warning, if you break the rules, well, you know ...
Old 11-17-2006, 05:53 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Reminds me of when my Dad used to make bread. He would get it all together, and then place the bowl of dough on top of the wood cook stove to rise. It was the best bread I have ever tasted.
Old 11-17-2006, 05:56 AM
Administrator

I hear ya on that one Mike. I make a honey wheat loaf every week. I no longer buy store bought bread anymore since I started making it. It amazes me how much better a homemade loaf is compared to mass produced store bought bread.
Old 11-17-2006, 06:05 AM

I need to find a good breadmaker to make bread for me when I get back. I would like that. There is a bunch of different kind of breads here in Afghanistan. They are pretty good.
Old 11-17-2006, 06:32 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by jrs_dodge_diesel
I don't want this thread to end up like the brownie thread did a few weeks ago. There will be zero discussion regarding special/illegal "herbal" ingredients . This is the only warning, if you break the rules, well, you know ...
I hate to say it, but that's pretty funny. I guess I did not see that thread.

Standby, some of Mrs' madhat's are on the way...
Old 11-17-2006, 06:39 AM
Administrator

Fresh out of the oven

Old 11-17-2006, 06:57 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What a great thread J.R.! Thanx! I wish I could add something to it, but me and cookin' don't get along. I'm too impatient. I figure if a recipe calls for something to be baked at 300* for 30 minutes, then 600* for 15 minutes will do the same thing. Never works out that way tho.

Thank goodness I can make coffee tho!

chaikwa.
Old 11-17-2006, 06:59 AM

That looks so darn good!
Old 11-17-2006, 07:02 AM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OK bakers.... need a recipe for sour-dough starter...
Old 11-17-2006, 07:31 AM
Administrator

I was looking that up earlier Chrisreyn. Here's some links I came across.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sourdough_bread

Seems the Critical step in making sourdough bread is the starter :

a) Mix 1 cup flour and 1 cup water to a smooth batter.

b) Cover and leave in a warm (85F/29C) place until it starts to bubble (12 hours or so but it can take several days). Don’t worry about off smells or colours at this stage. Skim any obvious muck.

c) Refresh it by adding another ½ cup of flour and ½ cup of water and stir. If the volume gets too much for your container, throw some away. Cover the rest and put it back into a warm place.

d) Repeat the last step for 4 times at 8-12 hour intervals. The starter should be active, and smell wholesome.

Starters can be kept in a closed jar in the refrigerator for months. They may separate into two layers, but just stir them together before use. They will, of course, keep best if used and refreshed regularly. If the starter seems sluggish, refresh it a couple of times (step c above) before use.

Starter doesn’t freeze well, but can be dried for a reserve supply. If you need to ship it, make some into a lasagna sheet, or stiff dough.

For best results always use the same flour, so the bugs can get used to it. Some people keep separate starters for white, rye and for wholemeal (whole wheat). I use white unbleached flour, which has added Vitamin C as an improver. As mentioned above, if your flour does not already have Vitamin C in it, you can add 1/2tsp Vitamin C (Ascorbic acid) but it is not critical.
http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=27634
Old 11-17-2006, 08:15 AM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks Jr.. I'll give it a try
Old 11-17-2006, 08:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All these manly men driving Cummins diesels talking about recipes for bread?? Dont tell the wives or girl freinds!
Old 11-17-2006, 09:37 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
This is from the wife. Hope that the Margarita Cheesecake isn't too bad for the site...

Chocolate Chip Cookies
4 sticks margarine (brought to room temperature)
1 1/2 C sugar
1 1/2 C brown sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
4 eggs
4 1/2 C flour
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp salt
1 12 oz. bag semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 12 oz. bag milk chocolate chips

Mix softened margarine, sugar, brown sugar, and vanilla together with a WOODEN spoon. Add eggs one at a time, mixing after each addition. Mix flour, baking soda, and salt in a bowl. Gradually stir flour mixture into other ingredients. Add chocolate chips. Bake cookies at 250 (yes, that's two hundred and fifty) for 30 minutes or until slightly golden and no longer shiny. *The low temperature is the trick to these cookies. I use parchment paper to give the cookies a nicer shape on the bottom, and I also bake only one sheet of cookies at a time so they cook evenly. It takes a while, but it's worth it!*

Margarita Cheesecake
1 1/2 lbs. cream cheese (softened)
3 eggs
1 C sugar
2 oz. lime juice
1 1/2 tsp rum extract
CRUST:
2 1/2 C salted pretzels crushed (I use a food processor)
1/2 C sugar
2 1/2 oz butter (melted)
TOPPING:
3 C whipping cream
2 tsp lemon and lime zest (not imperative, but looks nice and adds flavor)

For the crust-combine pretzels, sugar and butter in bottom of a spring form pan. Press on bottoms and up sides of pan.
For the cheesecake-Mix cream cheese on low speed until creamy then add remaining ingredients except eggs. Mix slightly. Add eggs one at a time blending just until mixed. Small lumps will melt during baking, so don't over mix. Put a water bath of very hot water on the rack below the cheesecake. Bake for one hour at 300 degrees. After one hour, turn off oven and leave cheesecake in the oven for 8 hours. Do not open the door! The cheesecake will finish baking and set on its own. The water bath will prevent cracking and drying.
When cool, loosen sides of cake from pan and remove the sides of pan. Whip the cream (I add a little sugar while whipping to sweeten it up) Fold in zest and add to top of cake. Sprinkle with a little extra zest and enjoy. *Using dental floss to cut cheesecake prevents a mess and gives an even cut. Wrap the floss around each index finger and cut the cake in half, then half again, etc...*

Butterfinger Surprise
1 chocolate cake mix
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 tub Cool Whip
1 jar caramel sundae topping
1 bottle chocolate Magic Shell
6 crushed Butterfingers

Bake cake according to package directions in a 9x13 pan. Cool. Using the handle of a wooden spoon, poke holes about 1 inch apart all over cake. Drizzle the can of sweetened condensed milk over the cake. Drizzle about 1/2 of the caramel topping over the cake as well. Spread the cake with the whipped topping. Sprinkle the crushed Butterfingers over the top. Drizzle with caramel topping and magic shell. If you have any extra crushed Butterfingers, sprinkle them on the very top. Refrigerate for at leasat 1 hour before serving. Keep refrigerated.

I've been eating the cookies for 7 years now, and I still eat a whole bag at a time. The butterfinger surprise is good, but rich.

Quick Reply: Bread and baked goodies thread