Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Bow Season

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 11:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bow Season

Well, I'm still chomping at the bit. Pulled the bow out of hibernation yesterday, shot a few groups. Went to the local archery shop and shot an hour of that DART video shooting system, where you shoot deer and stuff on the movie screen. Anyone shot that before? Fun stuff, I single handedly wiped out half of the big game species in North America in an hour. Got some new arrows and broadheads, different peep sight, and new string and cables on my bow. I think I need a titanium arm guard, my left arm was nearly amputated from string slap after an hour. Now all I can think about is shooting stuff with my bow. Eying the squirrels in the back yard, checking out the 3d ranges, staring at my hunting property aerial photos...I can't wait!
Old 07-28-2006, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Timberman
Well, I'm still chomping at the bit. Pulled the bow out of hibernation yesterday, shot a few groups. Went to the local archery shop and shot an hour of that DART video shooting system, where you shoot deer and stuff on the movie screen. Anyone shot that before? Fun stuff, I single handedly wiped out half of the big game species in North America in an hour. Got some new arrows and broadheads, different peep sight, and new string and cables on my bow. I think I need a titanium arm guard, my left arm was nearly amputated from string slap after an hour. Now all I can think about is shooting stuff with my bow. Eying the squirrels in the back yard, checking out the 3d ranges, staring at my hunting property aerial photos...I can't wait!
Kill some elk and send me some jerkey! or just ground elk or backstrap.... I've never bow hunted, but heard it is almost impossible if you aren't experienced... have fun
Old 07-28-2006, 11:57 AM
Banned

I've been buggin' for the last week or so! I need to get re fitted as I found I was leaning into my draw a little last year. As soon as I get squared away I'll be shooting almost everyday until opening day!!! I can't wait!!!
Old 07-28-2006, 09:03 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

I have been shooting all summer. The only time I go to the bow shop is for more arrows. Sunday, Im going to go shoot some clays to get ready for Dove season. one more month.
Old 07-28-2006, 09:11 PM
Banned

thats it, now I'm gonna go have to check out a special summer stand, in a tree, leans way out over a river, my favorite carpin tree, gotta shoot a few of them submarines and see how it feels.......... as for bow slap???? compound bow??? you sure you are getting a clean release??? don't get yourself in the habbit of watching the arrow, you will drop the bow away and look for it, causing poor shots/ arm slap as you try to see quicker and quicker where that arrow is going.
Old 07-28-2006, 09:13 PM

A couple buddies and I decided to try shooting bows at 100 yards. Gonna set up our targets in front of some big dirt piles and see who can hit em. Should be pretty fun, I've got some arrows with ratty fletching that I'll risk. Now my wife wants to learn to shoot a bow, guess I'll take her down there and get her set up with a bow and all. It'll be fun to have something to do together. I think. She wants to join the skeet range together too. Maybe she'll buy the shells.

Carp shooting sounds like fun! We shot some skates one time, and some buddies shoot gar once in a while. Yeah, I don't think I'm doing anything wrong, getting good tight groups and all, but I think my bow would cut my arm OFF after 100 shots or so.
Old 07-28-2006, 09:30 PM

To prevent string slap, use a wrist strap and get in the habit of holding the bow against your thumb. Also a release will help consistancy.

For the 100 yard shots. aim with your longest range pin, look where your shortest range pin is then aim your long range pin there. by adding the difference to your long range pin and repeating as needed, that will get you close.

you will also definitly find out where your bow's drop off range is.
Old 07-28-2006, 09:44 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Pulled out the 'Ole 91 PSE Limited and sent fifteen 26 1/4" 2213s downrange a couple of days ago.
Haven't shot in about a year, still could cover the groups with your hand at 30 yds.

Then pulled out the indoor bullseye bow.
Found out I now have to take off my glasses to use the 5X scope.
Gettin' old makes you do things different sometimes.
Old 07-29-2006, 08:55 AM
Banned

forgot to add this to my reply, anybody shoot a red dot scope on their bow? I kow you would have to compensate for range with one but for those of us lucky to shoot over 300 fps and have little drop from 20 = - 35 yrds it isn't hard to adjust, just gotta know range, and as far as getting older, I think its a safe bet that it beats not getting older at all.............
Old 08-03-2006, 06:16 PM

im with you timberman cant wait.just fletched up a dozen cedar shafts for a round of stump shooting with my buds. the only problem is that it is just to darn hot.
Old 08-03-2006, 06:19 PM

I haven't tried a red dot, but a buddy has an EOTech on his bow mounted to an adjustable mount.
Old 08-03-2006, 06:31 PM

Went and shot another hour of the video targets yesterday. That is addicting. I wore an arm guard, solved the string slap problem. Put a new string and cables on the bow, darn thing stretched some after about 40 shots, and I started shooting low. There were 3 of us competing, and I got bumped to last place, daggone it. Started taking head shots for fun. Got 12 new arrows, and one of those luma nocks that light up when you shoot, can't wait to shoot it through a deer. Can't decide between 100 grain muzzy 4 blades, or those new rage expandables that open forwards, so you get a big entrance wound. Like the way expandables shoot the same as field points.
Old 08-03-2006, 06:33 PM

BowHunting ='s Ticks. Chiggers, Seed Ticks, Ticks, Mosquitos+ all kinds of water droplets running down my face after walking in to the stand !! I have come to the conclusion that my land is a great late season spot, and thats why I only MuzzleLoad and Rifle it late in the year. It's amazing the amount of Deer you BowHunters push on my land !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Na! I guess now since I just completed the disking of my fields I will strap on the stands and prepare the freezer, once again, oh darn, you got to hate this time of year !!! Lets see some pics of the biggest Deer you have harvested!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-03-2006, 06:43 PM

Oh man, the seed ticks lit me up last weekend. I walked around in the woods for about a half hour, thank God I was wearing kahki pants, they were swarming! My wife noticed them, and pointed them out in wifely fashion . Had to spray down with permanone and leave my clothes in the garage. That stuff works though, you can spray it right on the ticks and they all die.
Old 08-03-2006, 06:46 PM

What is the best spray to use for them that will not spook game????

Quick Reply: Bow Season