Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Bought the Jeep

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 12:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bought the Jeep

I asked a few weeks back about experinces with either the new JK Wranglers or the FJ Cruiser. I ened up buying the JK Unlimited. Never even drove an FJ.

For what I want to do,I don't think the FJ can touch the Jeep in off-road performance while stock,and there are a MILLION different parts,mods,and accessories available for Jeeps. Most of which are pretty darn cheap.

I looked at the Rubicons,but for the added cost of the Rubicon package I can build my Jeep myself and save quite a bit of money.

A 2.5-3" coil lift is about $500. Just right for 35s.
Quick disconnect sway bar links are about $150
Aussie Lockers have a great rep and can had for under $300 each.

For under $1300 I can be locked front and rear,with quick discos,AND get a lift that doesn't come on the Rubicons.

The Rubicon added a minimum of $5000 to the cost of a nicely equipped Sport.

Tires and wheels come this week,but the other mods will have to wait until after the first of the year. My savings account hasn't quit smoking from this latest spending spree.
Old 12-01-2009, 02:43 PM

Nice buy on the Jeep, my wife bought a brand new Rubicon in 05, she loves it. I had a 1979 FJ40 Landcruiser that I had purchased new, but sold, some years ago. Back in the 1970's, the Landcruisers, imo, were a lot better vehicle than a Jeep, off or on the road. I do like my wife's Jeep, it is very solid and durable.

When we purchased it(Jeep), the dealer was having a "lost leader" sale, still not sure what that is, but we bought it on friday, before the sale on the weekend, we paid 24k, but were asked to leave it until monday. No one drove it, the Dealer wanted it for show.

One thing the Rubicon had over the Unlimiteds(besides the lockers), tell me if I'm wrong, was the 40:1 ratio transfer case, at least that was what I was led to believe. There is also a neat little trick for locking both differentials in high range. From the factory, you may only lock them in lo range. There is a green wire, easily accessible behind the radio, that you can ground out, I am assuming that the lo range gear lever does the same thing. After grounding that wire, you can lock both or individually, both differentials in high range.

I believe we will never sell this fine vehicle, it is a nice and useful tool.
Old 12-02-2009, 09:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice! I really like the new Jeeps after being in my buddies Rubicon for a couple days...on and off road and towing.
Do the Unlimited have the bigger axles like the Rubi? That's the only high dollar upgrade I'd see making the Rubi worth alot more (if you don't mind doing your own work on lockers, disconnect, etc).
Thought I haerd the Rubi has Dana 44's front and rear, where the other Wranglers have Dana 30s or somethign.
Old 12-02-2009, 10:53 AM
REALLY old dog

bought a 1994 zj last spring & completely rebuilt the drivetrain > body was in good shape> built this one for wife to drive .
after it was finished drove it enough to know i had everything fixed > eaven took it on a short road trip (600 mi +)
i was so impressed with it had to have one for my self >
found one >just finishing it up now > 1994 just like first one only different color

hope you enjoy yours as much as i am mine

claude
Old 12-03-2009, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by JJPage
Nice buy on the Jeep, my wife bought a brand new Rubicon in 05, she loves it. I had a 1979 FJ40 Landcruiser that I had purchased new, but sold, some years ago. Back in the 1970's, the Landcruisers, imo, were a lot better vehicle than a Jeep, off or on the road. I do like my wife's Jeep, it is very solid and durable.

When we purchased it(Jeep), the dealer was having a "lost leader" sale, still not sure what that is, but we bought it on friday, before the sale on the weekend, we paid 24k, but were asked to leave it until monday. No one drove it, the Dealer wanted it for show.

One thing the Rubicon had over the Unlimiteds(besides the lockers), tell me if I'm wrong, was the 40:1 ratio transfer case, at least that was what I was led to believe. There is also a neat little trick for locking both differentials in high range. From the factory, you may only lock them in lo range. There is a green wire, easily accessible behind the radio, that you can ground out, I am assuming that the lo range gear lever does the same thing. After grounding that wire, you can lock both or individually, both differentials in high range.

I believe we will never sell this fine vehicle, it is a nice and useful tool.
The Rubicon does have the 4:1 transfer case,but IMO its geared too low unless you're into rock crawling. The standard T-case on the Sports is 2.72:1 IIRC.
Old 12-03-2009, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by Grit Dog
Nice! I really like the new Jeeps after being in my buddies Rubicon for a couple days...on and off road and towing.
Do the Unlimited have the bigger axles like the Rubi? That's the only high dollar upgrade I'd see making the Rubi worth alot more (if you don't mind doing your own work on lockers, disconnect, etc).
Thought I haerd the Rubi has Dana 44's front and rear, where the other Wranglers have Dana 30s or somethign.
The Unlimiteds all have the D44 rear axle and D30s in the front. The Rubicons get D44s front and rear.

The D30 in the JKs are proving to be much stouter than the D35s in the TJs.

I don't plan on anything more than 35s and with a smart right foot I think the D30 will be fine.

If I did want to get a D44 up front,they really aren't that expensive. I could buy a D44 and all the other goodies I mentioned and probably still be a couple grand ahead of a factory Rubicon.
Old 12-04-2009, 10:03 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool! Glad you like it.