Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Billy in the Low Ground

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 06:41 PM

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts
Wink Billy in the Low Ground

How many are fans and followers of old-time flat-picker Arthel Watson ??
Old 12-19-2008, 10:47 PM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had never heard of him but probably should have since my Dad loved the old pickers and has many on 78s. Do you know of a web site that would have some of his sounds?
Old 12-19-2008, 11:49 PM

"Doc" Watson!

Absolutely!
Old 12-20-2008, 02:20 AM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

OK...Its gotten serious. I need to figure out if I listened to him as a kid because of my dad. I wont be back down to CA for another month so hopefully I can find some music on the web.
Old 12-20-2008, 02:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Billy in the Low Ground is one of my favorite tunes! Its an old tune and references William of Orange (William III actually).

Doc's version is one of my favorites!
Old 12-20-2008, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by Bark
I had never heard of him but probably should have since my Dad loved the old pickers and has many on 78s. Do you know of a web site that would have some of his sounds?

Go to YouTube and search DOC Watson.
Old 12-20-2008, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by DaveB.inVa
Billy in the Low Ground is one of my favorite tunes! Its an old tune and references William of Orange (William III actually).

Doc's version is one of my favorites!

My life's ambition is to be able to actually pick "Billy in the Low Ground" good enough that people could tell what I was playing.

I also like "Salt Creek" and "Bill Cheatham".

Actually, I like anything that Doc does.

He is getting awfully long in the tooth, though, but it ain't slowed down his picking.

About five years ago, I was in Somerset,KY, and stopped at a little gas/food joint.

Sitting in the front seat of a custom van was none other than Doc; his grandson Richard, Jack Lawrence, and another flatpicker whose name has slipped my mind, were in the store stocking up on goodies.

Although he is blind, I managed to convince Doc to autograph my old KAY guitar; he has as pretty a signature as any sighted scholar I ever saw.

Since then, I have seen them perform live several times.

When I was in diapers, my father went way off somewhere to see Doc and Merle perform live; he came back with about a dozen 78s that he bought at the concert.

He would come in from work and go back in the bedroom, put one of those 78s on the player, get his old guitar, and work half the night on one or the other of Doc's tunes, until he had it down to where he could have walked out on the stage with anyone and not had anything to be ashamed of.
Old 12-21-2008, 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by BearKiller
Go to YouTube and search DOC Watson.
First one I watched was the 1991 Black Mountain Rag. VERY good stuff.