Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Baby, I am sorry.........

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 09:40 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Baby, I am sorry.........

After much procrastinating ( actually obstructing ), I again am working with my daughter, trying to teach her to drive a manual. Now, given that Greenie has enough grunt to walk away from a stoplight at idle in 2nd, you would think it would be the obvious choice to teach someone, right?

Let's just say I owe Greenie some extra love. I always thought Women were sensitive? No matter what I tried, my daughter couldn't get the hang of using her leg and ankle to walk the thing out of the hole, so she then tried adding fuel, which set up a vicious jerk/slop/jerk/slop/jerk.............Then when I finally did get her to the point where she could get going, she shifted like she had no clue the trans was talking to her, egad, she just shoved the lever home, without regards for it's wishes.......................

No Woman had better EVER talk to me about being sensitive to needs........
Old 08-12-2013, 10:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tried teaching my wife, one replacement rear end later, auto for her only.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:47 AM

Your a braver man than me. 16 yrs ago I paid someone else to teach my daughter to drive a stick. I just don't have the patience. That's comming from a truck driver who at the time had 22 yrs in shifting a 13 speed. So what's so hard about 5 little gears?
Old 08-12-2013, 11:50 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by patdaly

I love it!!
Old 08-12-2013, 12:13 PM

well boys, im not ashamed to say it but my wife taught me how to drive stick, and now when ever she drives my truck 6 speed, I hate it when she drives it, she drives it like its her saturn ion 5 speed. burns me out
Old 08-12-2013, 01:06 PM
Sausage Aficionado (In training)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A few yrs back I tried to teach DW to drive stick in my old Chevy 1500. We went out into a field and tried for an hour or so. At the end, no one was in a good mood and we decided that automatic transmissions were the way to go for her. I am willing to take some of the blame as I might not have been the best teacher ever but no matter who was at fault, that was NOT a high point in our relationship. Almost like the first few times we tried to back the travel trailer onto it's parking pad beside the barn. The parking pad has now been reconfigured - it is drive-on and drive-off.
Old 08-12-2013, 03:44 PM
Urban Legend

Originally Posted by patdaly
After much procrastinating ( actually obstructing ), I again am working with my daughter, trying to teach her to drive a manual. Now, given that Greenie has enough grunt to walk away from a stoplight at idle in 2nd, you would think it would be the obvious choice to teach someone, right?

Let's just say I owe Greenie some extra love. I always thought Women were sensitive? No matter what I tried, my daughter couldn't get the hang of using her leg and ankle to walk the thing out of the hole, so she then tried adding fuel, which set up a vicious jerk/slop/jerk/slop/jerk.............Then when I finally did get her to the point where she could get going, she shifted like she had no clue the trans was talking to her, egad, she just shoved the lever home, without regards for it's wishes.......................

You need to keep trying to teach her ………. Or her boyfriend will……..out on some dirt road late at night………yes I was that boy when I was younger.
But really I taught my girlfriend to drive stick while in high school and most of her friends as well ( with her permission ) . Got fairly good at it and ended up teaching others at one of the cities I have worked for so they could get CDL.
Old 08-12-2013, 03:53 PM

Pat,NOT telling how to do it...........but,didja try the heel onna floor and lift the toes until you feel it,and press on the not hard boiled egg? The other alternative is just let her do it and compete on the strip.Oh c'mon go buy her a Prius.
Old 08-12-2013, 06:01 PM

Don't know if this applied anywhere else but at one time here in BC if you got your license on an automatic you had to take a separate road test on a standard if you wanted to drive a standard equiped car.
The other side of the coin, had a store owner jump in my mother's car to pull it around back and load some some feed for her and darn near put himself through the windshield.
Didn't hardly ever drive automatics and he pushed in the clutch only it was the brake pedal.
I personally would never have the patience to teach someone to drive.
Del
Old 08-12-2013, 06:17 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Teaching your daughter to drive - - wow, does that bring back memories. To this day my daughter still brags about how I taught her and how good she is with a stick. She decided it was time to learn how to drive BEFORE she took driver's ed - - she all ready had a learner's permit. I told her I would only teach her on a stick - - then she could learn the auto later. She agreed and thought that was a good idea. Soooo, daddy sat down at his desk with her and we had several hours of: what does a transmission do? what does a clutch do? What is the interaction between clutch, tranny and gas pedal? etc etc etc. I had been talking her through driving for several months leading up to this - - don't do this, don't do that, do this - - ya know. Finally time came - - put her in my Porsche, she fired it up (gently), eased out on the clutch smooth as a whistle, shifted a little jerky on the first couple, then quickly caught on and drove fantastic. She ended up with that car when I bought another one and she drove it for many years. Her older brother has that car now and has completely restored it including putting a 320hp engine in it. Wow does it fly. She was quite sensitive to my love for my Pooch and did not mistreat it. .......

Thanks for the memories.

Bob
Old 08-12-2013, 06:36 PM

My Dad taught me to drive a stick in his 1970 Chevy 3/4 ton truck. It had a 3 on the tree. My first car was a 76 Vega with a 4 speed. My Mom could drive a stick as long as it was a column shift.
Old 08-12-2013, 06:48 PM
Administrator

Actually looking at it, I might have erred by deciding the Cummins was the perfect teaching tool. It has such torque that she feeds the clutch out way too fast, pulling down the RPMs, then her tendency is to give it too much fuel, which then adds way too much grunt, and the cycle is started.

I just bought a 72 Blazer with a 350/4 Speed, so I am going to give it a tune up and let her drive that thing around the pasture till she has the feel of it.

I still don't get what is so foreign about moving you leg and your ankle at the same time, you do it every day while walking........
Old 08-12-2013, 06:52 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by bigfoot
You need to keep trying to teach her ………. Or her boyfriend will……..out on some dirt road late at night………yes I was that boy when I was younger.
But really I taught my girlfriend to drive stick while in high school and most of her friends as well ( with her permission ) . Got fairly good at it and ended up teaching others at one of the cities I have worked for so they could get CDL.
LOL, SO was I that boy, in a 66 GTO...... Didn't mind having to replace clutches either, you know the score.

I don't really have to worry too much, her male "friends" ( none will admit they date her ) are scared silly of me.

I dunno why, I am just a lovable old teddy bear.
Old 08-12-2013, 06:52 PM

Put it in low range and unhook the throttle linkage.
Old 08-12-2013, 06:55 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by irocpractice
Pat,NOT telling how to do it...........but,didja try the heel onna floor and lift the toes until you feel it,and press on the not hard boiled egg? The other alternative is just let her do it and compete on the strip.Oh c'mon go buy her a Prius.
Tried all that, no joy.

Egads, you still had better know how to walk it out of the hole at the strip or you are gonna look like a chump, actually that might be a good thing to remember if I can't get her squared up, throw a small block and a 4 speed in the Nova and let her race it......

Quick Reply: Baby, I am sorry.........