Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

audio guys please help me with my kids amp install

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 07:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
audio guys please help me with my kids amp install

Put a stereo in my sons first truck. He is all excited.....LOL Anyways i hooked everything up for him (head unit, front and back door speakers, amp and sub, but im not sure if I got it 100%. Its a 1200w 2/1 channel amp and were running it to 1-12" woofer(the door speakers are running off the head unit). If I just hook up one set of speaker wires to the amp will it get all 1200 watts or is it only getting 600 watts? Hope I said that right. Or do I have to hook up both speaker outputs to the one speaker? Also there are some adjustments on the amp and I have no idea what to set them to.....any ideas?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Tom
Old 07-01-2009, 07:39 AM
DTR's "Cooler than ice cubes 14 miles North of North Pole" member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Look at the amps speaker out puts. There is usually a diagram on how to bridge the outputs to get the full output on 1 speaker. Kinda like the positive sie of 1 channel and the negative of the other.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:41 AM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
If the amp is a mono amp then no the sub will see the total output of the amp. If it is a two channel amp then it must be bridged for a single channel for the sub to see total output.

To bridge the sub at the amp hook up the wiring as so, positive wire from sub to the left channel positive on amp, negative wire from sub to the right channel negative on amp. That will bridge a two channel amp down to a mono amp. Dont just hook up all four speaker connections to the one sub, thatll cause things to go all screwy.

Make sure to be mindful of impendences so that you dont run the amp at to low of an ohmage (is that a word... ) and "blow" it. Take into consideration if the sub has dual voice coils or not when computing the ohm rating.

Also that amp is probably a 1200 watt max output, what you want to judge it by is the RMS (Root Mean Square) output, which is just a fancy term for continuous output of the amplifier within is given opitimum voltage operating range, usually 10.2 to 14.4 volts DC.

Hope this helps
Old 07-01-2009, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by blake.clark
If the amp is a mono amp then no the sub will see the total output of the amp. If it is a two channel amp then it must be bridged for a single channel for the sub to see total output.

To bridge the sub at the amp hook up the wiring as so, positive wire from sub to the left channel positive on amp, negative wire from sub to the right channel negative on amp. That will bridge a two channel amp down to a mono amp. Dont just hook up all four speaker connections to the one sub, thatll cause things to go all screwy.

Make sure to be mindful of impendences so that you dont run the amp at to low of an ohmage (is that a word... ) and "blow" it. Take into consideration if the sub has dual voice coils or not when computing the ohm rating.

Also that amp is probably a 1200 watt max output, what you want to judge it by is the RMS (Root Mean Square) output, which is just a fancy term for continuous output of the amplifier within is given opitimum voltage operating range, usually 10.2 to 14.4 volts DC.

Hope this helps
huh???? great this sounds more confusing than i thought. just my luck.
Old 07-01-2009, 01:13 PM

Any thing your not sure about, ask and Ill try to explain it the best I can to help you out.
Old 07-01-2009, 01:24 PM

thanks Blake. wasnt sure about the ohms.....how do I know if its a problem. you know what, let me see what i have when i get home tonight and maybe it would be better if i gave more details.
Old 07-01-2009, 01:39 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
take a pic of the connection on the amp and post it here much easier to "esplain"
Old 07-01-2009, 01:47 PM

additional info

Checklist....

Find out the :

Lowest impendance that that amp can handle, this will usually be on the amp somewhere, or if not in the owners manual. Usually listed something like this "Stable to 2ohm", or "2ohm stable" or "Do not operate at lower than 1.5ohm resistance" (rating varies between all models, so the number may be different)

Type of sub and its impendance, and if its a single or dual voice coil. If its a dual voice coil each voice coil will have its own impendance rating and must be wired accordingly to achieve the proper impendence.

How much power (wattage) can the sub handle, you dont want to push to many watts to the sub and it become a new boat anchor.

If this seems like a bit much, just get the make and model of the sub and the amp and I will see how much I can find out online and help ya out.
Old 07-01-2009, 02:36 PM

ok will do, thanks for the help. will take pics tonight.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:45 PM

If its a single voice coil, then just hook it up to the where the amp shows bridged connections and go with it. Single voice coil = sub has one set of speaker connections. Dual voice coil = sub has two sets.

If its dual voice coil only then do we need to worry (but most are dual 4ohm effectively making 2ohm parallel, and most decent amps will do 2 ohm bridged as long as the gain is kept off max)

But yeah get some model numbers and we'll help you out!
Old 07-03-2009, 09:59 AM

Check,

you ever get this squared away...
Old 07-06-2009, 08:58 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
PM me your phone number, and post up the model number/name of the amp.

we can finger this out...
Old 07-07-2009, 09:19 AM

sorry it took so long, i had to bug my kid to put some pics on the home computer. amp is a sony xplod xm2200gtx 1200w 2/1 channel
Attached Thumbnails audio guys please help me with my kids amp install-box.jpg   audio guys please help me with my kids amp install-box2.jpg   audio guys please help me with my kids amp install-amp.jpg  
Old 07-07-2009, 10:03 AM

how come my pics arent showing up......D*MNIT
Old 07-07-2009, 10:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Got a photobucket account??? Makes it alot easier.

Quick Reply: audio guys please help me with my kids amp install