Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Anyone a police officer?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2003, 01:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Anyone a police officer?

Actually im not trying to substantiate anything. He didnt give me a ticket and as far as helping me went, the closest thing i got was his comment" what was that about you seemed to have a problem back there" As far as sayin inches, yeah it was more like couple feet. pry no more than 5 though. Still mighty close. Was I off the road faster than i should have? yes. Busy traffic and i didnt want the truck fallin apart on the road, and ive been in the big rigs when people stop in the slow traffic lane going up the hills it doeesnt make ya too happy so i kindly moved off. As far as the " refecltive" goes Anyone around here has seem then, the navy blue i think, unmarked Impallas that they love to drive. So all ya get to see is the light reflectors, which arnt all that noticeable comming over a hill. But like i said im not trying to substantiate anything i was just wondering if it was a law to have some sort of hazard light on the vechile. Not ot mention its just not a good idea period. He could just run up to a gravel road and get them that way, thats not the most " public protective" act ive ever seen. Just another senerio, Farm equipment. theres a good quanity going down the roads this time a year and most are nice enough to run some shoulder so cars have their room. Now ya got ur following a tractor going 20 mph, im just as guilty as the next guy, if i end up following them for a while i get oh say relaxed, I mean they dont stop super fast and they usually signal way ahead of time, so ya shouldnt have any problems then all the sudden they have to stop real quick and the whole line of highway traffic gets in a accident because the officeer watned to find a speeder. or the tractor tries to go aroun the officer and slowes all the traffic, Its just stupid to sit there plain and simple,
Old 10-12-2003, 01:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Then I would as a concerned citizen for public safety approach the commanding officer on his turf (office) with some details about the impending safety hazard. Politely ask what policy is and how you could make this official if need be, offer to ride out to the scene with him and look over the situation. A visual demonstration is much easier to work with. The officers comment is not out of line but the way you handle a response makes a big difference, asking for assistance is a positive way to respond if necessary. Being cordial explaining it is under control with an explanation if asked also prevents confrontation. Despite the fact that nobody likes to meet these guys formally on business one must realize they are bombarded with crap most of their working days. Occasionally you will find genuine attitude and a pocket recorder can solve most of that. PK
Old 10-12-2003, 02:52 PM

hum, no one said i was speeding. actually i was below the posted limit,
Old 10-12-2003, 03:01 PM

Oops mixed up Bigcummins with yours, sorry, scratch that.
Old 10-12-2003, 03:02 PM

Actually this thread borders on the rediculous, it had nothing to do with speeding or anything, just a plain question of lighting laws. I mean if thats the case and ur tail lights quit working just drive down the sholder and they cant ticket you technically. hence the point of the post.
Old 10-12-2003, 03:05 PM

As far as I know it is legal for them to sit with lights off and even hide in Ia. When I was in high school the local town cop and I did not get along real great. I never got a ticket from him but we had many a little chats. More times than I can count I would find him sitting along side the hyway just out of town with his lights off. I always thought at the time that it was eligal to do so. After asking a countie sherif I found out it was not ilegal. I do wish he would have gotten a little further off the road though, he would sit sometimes a foot or less off the traveled lane. Scares the crap out of ya when you are crusing down the road and all of a sudden there is a large inanimate object just barely out of your line of travel.