Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Any Visual C# programmers here?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2005, 04:41 PM

Received 1,038 Likes on 763 Posts
Any Visual C# programmers here?

Hi all:

I have been studying Visual C# and I was wondering if anyone else was into it.

I have done Basic stuff in the past and quite a bit of Assembly programming. I also do Microcontrollers like 8051 and FPGA's.

Edwin
Old 07-25-2005, 05:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Visual C++/C/MFC/Java but no C#
Old 07-25-2005, 06:11 PM

Originally posted by rbuchana
Visual C++/C/MFC/Java but no C#
I have Visual Studio 6 and I started with the Visual Basic stuff but then I lucked onto a nice book that included the compiler and IDE so I'm studying it now. I'm trying to get used to the idea of objects and classes.

Machine language is so much easier to understand.

Edwin
Old 07-25-2005, 06:25 PM

Easier, but not nearly as POWERFUL.

What do you do??
Old 07-25-2005, 06:50 PM

Originally posted by rbuchana
Easier, but not nearly as POWERFUL.

What do you do??
Well, I started out as a Electronics tech then I got into computers and I started designing hardware. Had to learn programming to do microcontrollers & also did some Z-80 stuff. Now I'm a freelance consultant and I need to learn programming cause I'm missing out on to much work.

Hopefully Java will be easier to learn once I get a handle on this OOP stuff.

As for machine code being less powerful, I have to disagree. I can program anything in machine language it just takes longer cause you have to account for every bit. HLL's are great for doing the MACRO stuff cause they have a rich set of libraries pre-built. In machine code you either write your own library routines or hope you can find some. But then you knew that already.

I played around with Linux for a while because the price was right but I couldn't find any jobs doing it. Micro$loth is where it's at for me as a consultant.

How about you?

Edwin
Old 07-25-2005, 07:04 PM

Java is stupid easy once you have learned OOP in some other language like C++,
but that can probably be said for a lot of laguages.

I am a design engineer for a semiconductor company.
Old 07-25-2005, 10:38 PM

I write C# for a living. Most of the stuff I do is samples for other developers, but it's still C#. OOP is all I know- was taught C++ in college. I'm a young'un.

brandon.
Old 07-25-2005, 11:08 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Um, err, Beegul wite eNglishe...

(Never bothered with computers much... I can build them and know all of the performance parts and tricks and such, but when it comes to programming my knowledge maxes out at a little bit of [b}HTML[/b[ )
Old 07-25-2005, 11:37 PM

I don't know if I'd call HTML a programming language. It's a document format for sure. You have to do JavaScript or some such to be actually programming. This site uses PHP which is sort of like an asp competitor. I think the PHP adds some extensions to the HTML on this site such as the [img] [/img]. It's xml like in that regard.

Just splitting hairs.

Edwin
Old 07-26-2005, 10:08 PM

I'm a member of the club. Been there, done that. I work for the big evil that you guys all love to hate. Programers are just that, programmers. They write code. What most people need are developers. Good dvelopers are getting harder and harder to find these days. C# is just a language. You'll find that its actually quite easy to learn. The biggest learning curve is the framework.

If you don't think HTML is programming.....well......I just wish you could see some of the stuff I've seen that is coming. Times are changing...
Old 07-26-2005, 11:50 PM

Originally posted by BigBlueDodge

If you don't think HTML is programming.....well......I just wish you could see some of the stuff I've seen that is coming. Times are changing...
I didn't mean to insult anyone but strictly speaking, HTML is a document language. It can be extended with scripts such as ASP, PHP, and JavaScript but in it's pure form it is simply a document language.

Granted, it's complexity is such that creating more than a rudementary text document requires some skill but then so does creating a WordPerfect document unless you have access to the document generator to embed all the fancy formatting directives.

A straight HTML document will not execute any calculations and even a clicked on LINK is done by the browser.

So therefore, I stand by my initial statement. Even the W3C referrs to HTML documents.

BUT, since most web page designers must know so much more than just HTML it would be unfair to call them anything less than programmers.

Edwin
Old 07-27-2005, 12:38 AM

Originally posted by BigBlueDodge
XAML, Avalon, winFX, longhorn? Those are the only buzz words I know.

brandon.
Old 07-27-2005, 07:52 AM

It's not longhorn any longer.

longhorn blows chunks compared to linux. slow and neanderthalic, requires a lot of system to do what the 2.6 kernel's been doing for over a year.

but back to programming. I, like any CS student, learned all that C++ junk that steals your soul and forces you into late ( or early ) hours of programming. I learned C# but I can't stand VS.Net. VS6 was bearable but VS.Net is just...ugh.

I'll happily stick with my JS, PHP, HTML, XML and I guess ASP...if I have to.
Old 07-27-2005, 12:24 PM

I'm not to thrilled with the .NET stuff myself. It strikes me as an overblown interpreter if youas me. However, in order to get more consulting jobs, I need to be able to write applications and .Net is necessary to interoperate with Office. I figure that once I have C# down pat C++ won't be that difficult. I have VS6 also which makes real code.\

I agree about Linux. It's a real OS and is very hard to crash. It's hard to convince people that they need it on the desktop in their office when they have XP at home. Exchange server is very nice also when you run it with Outlook.

Edwin
Old 07-27-2005, 03:49 PM

I don't agree that Linux is hard to crash. I can bring my work computer down pretty easy.
As can most of my co-workers. Most of the time I have a real hard time with it. If
Sun would have kept up with a viable workstation, that wasn't so expensive and ran
faster than 400MHz I would still be on unix. But I can crash that as well

Quick Reply: Any Visual C# programmers here?