Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

any Ham Radio guys / Electronics guys local Chasn SC?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2006, 05:46 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
any Ham Radio guys / Electronics guys local Chasn SC?

INT QRV?
ZBO - some stuff!

N4EE passed away, and the local guys have raided all his good stuff,

but there is a LOT left, and the guy who bought the house is gonna trash it all.

he was VERY well organized, and has ~24 drawers of peices parts, air core inductors, Tube sockets, just tons of parts that not many folks would recognize, much less use.

there are only a few pieces of gear, like a Sig Gen, some old meters,

i took the Tektronix 422 for myself
got ~15 tubes, i might e-bay them.

so really nothing valuable, but i hate to trash it without offering it up.

all free, come & get it, or PM me if you are remote.

he has QST magazines from 1946, i might e-bay them. dunno about weight, shipping books is a pain.

what do you guys recommend? 2 ham buddies said to trash it, one guy would not even come look at it.
Old 09-09-2006, 06:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The only think I'd recommend is to maybe take some of the decent stuff to a hamfest and seel it giving the proceeds to 'EE's (actually AE4RJ) widow. Seems like everybody's an appliance operator these days.

Last edited by Commatoze; 09-09-2006 at 06:23 PM. Reason: error
Old 09-09-2006, 08:07 PM

she's gone also.

the guy who owns the house said same, for me to sell it & give $$ to a needy family. got plenty of them at my church.

my Ham buddy came over, said he sees this stuff all time at Hamfests, folks never buy it.

got a link to a calendar of Hamfests?

i am just not into throwing stuff away, that is old, and someone could use it.

i dunno if that is cheap, or foolish, or just being raised poor, or being a "tinkerer" who is always trying to make what i need vice going buying something.

(i built a bracket from old parts to put a tow ball on my lawnmower to move my meduim sized trailers around yard so i could mow under them)

my storage is limited.
Old 09-09-2006, 08:37 PM
1st Generation Admin

Received 111 Likes on 57 Posts
It may be found treasure to those tapping old HeathKit equipment and the like. There's still a bunch of fine high quality gear being home built. You can arc weld with the output of some and not worry.

I'm sure there's forums dedicated to old-school tube type, terminal strip, individual wire, hardware.

Ahh, the good old days when they made things from Iron.
Old 09-09-2006, 09:14 PM
DTR Founder

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Does he have any UHF or VHF repeaters?
Old 09-09-2006, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by Jack Thorpe
Does he have any UHF or VHF repeaters?
nah, the Tektronix was the only modern thing i recognized. i don't think they had invented VHF in his day, his license (on the shelf) was good from 64~69, but he was active after that.

whats left now is WW2 era looking stuff.

some HUGE transformers with ceramic nipple & terminal posts.

on one set up, he has some "weird science" & "back to the future" stuff set up, looks like he was stepping up or down AC, has ~5 transformers interconnected, bunch of knife swithes, all wired very well & spaced a-p-a-r-t very far ( like from experience )

it's kinda weird to dig thru some guys junk, and know he knew what every bit of it was.

had to dig my uncle's building lately. weird. i did not keep much of his stuff either. part of it is thinking what someone is gonna think when they dig thru your stuff (and call it junk

i'll get some pics tomorrow, i had to rig up my trailer so i could carry home all the stuff i wanted, so now got my ball hitch on mower, will go check it out, and haul home what i think is good.
(old magazines, typewriter, adding machine from 40~50's)
Old 09-09-2006, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by 04ctd
.....it's kinda weird to dig thru some guys junk, and know he knew what every bit of it was.....
I felt that way myself recently digging thru my dad's stuff. Kind of like the echo of his life, you know? What I tossed must have might have meant really something to him, but I just didn't get it. Wait til they have to dig thru my stuff some day! heheheh......

Last edited by Commatoze; 09-09-2006 at 10:41 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-10-2006, 02:47 AM

Big Transformers with tall ceramic bushings??? If any look like a big old AM plate modulation transformer, ya' ought to contact an AM'er and clue them in and they'll spread the word...There are demands for those things even in this day. New power supply transformers and chokes can be had from Peter Dahl Co. for a price of course, but just the "right" Modulation transformer is another thing.
(heck, even if it is unwanted by the AM'ers, transformers are FULL of Copper!)

Also you might want to cherry-pick some of the big tube sockets and any big Eimac tubes that will likely sell, especially anything New In Box. Even GE 6146's and 12BY7's are going for HEALTHY prices right now...

Air core inductors? Roller inductors? Variable Capacitors?
Do you mean inductors like big transmitter Tank Circuits? or just those little plastic ribbed AirDux coils? Big Inductors with attached high voltage tuning capacitors (tank ckts)will sell for anyone still making a big linear amp. The local's probably absconded with anything like that though...
The AirDux are timeless and can be used for Antenna Tuners and antenna loading coils... If the plastic ribs on the Airdux are in good shape and not cracked, warped or decomposed, they will sell...(you may want to keep some of those yourself) Roller inductors if in good shape and not burned or badly corroded will sell...(antenna tuner parts)

Any air variable or vacuum transmitting capacitors? Those DEFINITELY sell...

Avoid any and all old oil filled capacitors..(EDIT: or oil filled transformers!) His vintage of equipment had PCB filled caps... Even the big ones that LOOK great... Unless you REALLY need them, pass them by... They could be a real environmental headache for you (or this new homeowner ) to get rid of legally (PCB's).

Meters are getting REALLY hard to find now... Quality matching meters in popular ranges are not too hard to unload. I'd just pick out the ones you'd use and let the others go...(watchout for Radium painted scales, they don't glow anymore but they are still plenty "hot" )

As an incurable Ham(ham=PACKRAT ), I too hate to see a lot of that classic, quality WW-II RF stuff go to the landfill as there are people out there that are still seeking some of that stuff.. But, the fact of the matter is, there just ain't enough garage space anywhere to store all that crap for the few "gems" that will actually ever get used again...

Scrap the rest...

73' de
KB5MO
Old 09-10-2006, 02:58 AM

[QUOTE=04ctd;1122412]had to dig my uncle's building lately. weird. i did not keep much of his stuff either. part of it is thinking what someone is gonna think when they dig thru your stuff (and call it junk
QUOTE]

GONNA???? My wife and oldest daughter call it "JUNK" even now!
For instance:They just don't understand an Onan 5.0CCK Generator(with spare engine) is NEVER junk...

K.