Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Aluminum wheel polish that really works.

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 01:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aluminum wheel polish that really works.

I have tried many brands of aluminum polish to clean aluminum wheels and until a few weeks ago mothers worked the best for me. Well a friend of mine gave me a bottled of “Gords”. I have to tell you this stuff works faster and better than anything I have ever used. www.gordsaluminumpolish.com
Old 02-04-2009, 02:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a polished aluminum front bullbar/bumper. Mfg recommends Mothers. It works well but takes a long time and can get tricky if you don't use ample amount.... and in cold weather, forget it. Love the unique look of my bumper but it is a high maintenance item.

My biggest problem is water spots!
I'll try anything that might work better and be easier. Thanks!

RJ
Old 02-04-2009, 02:40 PM

thanks man
Old 02-04-2009, 04:30 PM

Gord's is awesome! We used to use it polishing up big rigs when I hauled in the oilfield.
Old 02-04-2009, 04:49 PM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by RowJ
I have a polished front bullbar/bumper. Mfg recommends Mothers. It works well but takes a long time and can be touchy if you don't use ample amount.

My biggest problem is water spots!
I try anything else that might work better!

RJ
Row, that bumper is an all day job to polish! you should post pics so everyone knows what a Ute is!

Chris
Old 02-05-2009, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by cbrahs
Row, that bumper is an all day job to polish! you should post pics so everyone knows what a Ute is! Chris
Not quite that bad. I've got it down to about three hrs... if I stay on top of it.
Old 02-05-2009, 08:51 AM

Dang! That's a cool looking bumper there. I don't even want to know how much one of those runs........
Old 02-05-2009, 09:31 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I have an Exelaguard, its all aluminum too. With the roads/weather and climates I am driving in, I have not been able to keep up to it. The mirror finish eventually became a satin finish, then dull aluminum and then streaked no matter what I used or what I tried, the very next trip it was tarnished. I am on the fence now trying to decide if I want to have it done in Line-X or sell/trade it. When its taking me 3-4 hrs every week to keep it the way it is now...paying $400.00 for Line-X or selling it is looking like good ways to go. Black Line-X would look good...for awhile but even that stuff looks rough after a few months.

Does anyone know if Line-X can be painted and will it stick? May consider that.

Sorry for sidetracking the thread.

Scotty
Old 02-05-2009, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Scotty
I have an Exelaguard, its all aluminum too. With the roads/weather and climates I am driving in, I have not been able to keep up to it. ....Does anyone know if Line-X can be painted and will it stick? May consider that.
I'm sure it can be painted. Will it stick?? Doubt it. And then you have to deal with chipping!

Never seen one...is that it in Gallery under "Bye, Bye, Bambi".

RJ
Old 02-05-2009, 10:14 AM

you could always have it clear anodized. friend did that to his drag car wing.......stayed shiney forever
Old 02-05-2009, 10:17 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by RowJ
I'm sure it can be painted. Will it stick?? Doubt it. And then you have to deal with chipping!

Never sen one...is that it in Gallery under "Bye, Bye, Bambi".

RJ
LOL thats the one.
Old 02-24-2009, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by Little-bit
.... a friend of mine gave me a bottled of “Gords”. I have to tell you this stuff works faster and better than anything I have ever used. www.gordsaluminumpolish.com
Always interested in a better way. Actually looking for an easier way!
I bought some "Gords". Tested it first on my Nerf Bars and what amazed me was how easy it is to use. Specifically, how easy it is to remove after it dries!
Real test will be on my front bumper this coming weekend. Based on above test, should cut the time factor to 1/3 as long as when using 'Mothers'.
16 oz bottle should do the whole thing.
Thanks for the tip 'Little-bit'.

RJ
Old 02-24-2009, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Scotty
The mirror finish eventually became a satin finish, then dull aluminum and then streaked no matter what I used or what I tried, the very next trip it was tarnished. I am on the fence now trying to decide if I want to have it done in Line-X or sell/trade it.
Scotty don't paint it. My buddy has a Garage and towing business. He gets some cleaner that he uses on his flatbed. It is fantastic, he mixes it with water in a pack sprayer and then just sprays it on and scrubs lightly and lets soak a couple of minutes. Then rinses off. It works fantastic. It is made by HOU1CHEM it's called Aluma-Kleen. I've never tried Gords. It might work too. But this stuff is great. You should at least give it a try before you cover it up. He gets his in a gallon concentrate. Make sure you dilute it.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:15 AM
Pickin on the wrong admin...

Hey guys...I got my bottle of Gords polish(for my polished aluminuim rims)...Haven't tried it yet....
Old 03-12-2009, 10:57 AM

Used Gord's polish on my Bullbar/Bumper last weekend! 16 oz bottle did the whole thing as well as my nerf bars.

Did not really need the fine steelwool that comes with the polish, but the virgin shop towels are a nice touch.... and reusable after washing.

Seems to do as good a job as Mothers AND is much quicker and easier to romove. Reducd total job by more than 1/2!!!!
Not sure what the coating action Gord talks about in his directions but couldn't hurt! Especially if it allows water spots to be wiped off.

RJ

Quick Reply: Aluminum wheel polish that really works.