Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

alcoholics

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2005, 02:58 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did all the hard stuff when I was younger... after the last OD when I saw the white light, that was it for me...

lost my brother to heroin a few years ago...

these days my only struggle is booze. I manage it pretty good, but to quote Hank Jr. "The hangovers hurt more than they used to"

once I get started drinking and having a couple beers every night, it turns into a fifth of whiskey every night pretty quick...

I don't drink and drive, and I'm a happy drunk... but I get tired of being hung over all the time, and the price of booze adds up quick! I figure in the last three months, I've saved an easy $1000+ by not drinking...

the evenings are boring... I stay up too late, and I crave a drink most of the time, but the first month was the worst... I was CONSTANTLY craving a drink... didn't want to get plowed, just wanted a cold beer!!!

my dad's dad died drunk in a motel room... my dad doesn't drink because of that... I know that my brother, my sister, and I all have the gene. I guess I've never really hit bottom... don't know if I ever will. but I'm sober today.

Forrest
Old 05-09-2005, 03:47 PM

Received 365 Likes on 272 Posts
Originally posted by Fronty Owner
but has it been worth it?
Every sober minute I can spend enjoying life with my family is worth doing without booze..."Yes" to your question, sir...Ben
Old 05-09-2005, 04:52 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by ramlovingvet
Booze was never my downfall but that EVIL Coke was. Been drug free since 1984.
when ever i see a Whaked out Junkie I Know but by the Grace of God it could have been me!!
If you have a problem get Help.
"She don't lie, She don't lie, She don't lie..........................."
The more truthful verse is:
"Don't forget this fact, you can't get it Back, ...."
I think I would have gotten more out of burning my 2-3 hundred dollars a week. At least it wouldn't have left me hurting and in bed till 5 or 6 PM EVERY Saturday for a few years.

May sound weird, but that was the BIG drug of choice in my High School, and for alot of young 20 somethings. Still in powder form too, I didn't evem know anyone who fooled with Crack back then. THAT is a SAD drug, (Cocaine in general). I would have to guess I threw away tens of thousands between the ages of 15 and 23, now at almost 30 it makes me sick to think of the way I was. I really should have been locked up several times, just lucky (I guess). I lasted less than one month after learning about free base. Wife packed up her stuff and the young one and spent a few nights at her sisters, that brought me back to earth. Haven't had professional help since about 18 yrs. old, but have used more common sense since then also.

It's scary to think about what kinda Shiznit will be out there when my boy is old enough to be influenced by his so called friends like I was.
I can see me hurting some punk's feelings over that.
Old 05-09-2005, 05:03 PM
P.J
Banned

Forrest notes something interesting, he's the third person to mention addiction being genetic. I am a firm believer in that theroy. My dad was addicted to work, (I know, sounds dumb). He literally would have prefered to be at work then spend time with me and my Mom. It took 31 years as a Union Carpenter to admit that in Counseling.
A drunk since I can even remember, totally abusive to my mom and older brother. I don't blame anyone for my past or current issues, but I have to think that there is something "built in" to me. Others seem to feel the same way. They should be teaching THAT in schools, how much more likely you will be to NOT even be able to drink socially (without making a fool of yourself and family) if your parents are Alcoholics.
?
Old 05-09-2005, 07:27 PM

I say this quite a bit at meetings........

I can't fathom living life the way I used to live it!!!!!!

Been sober since Feb. 8, 1986
Old 05-09-2005, 09:44 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

Cocains big downfall is Meth.
I know people that do both, and they say meth hits just as hard but it lasts for 3 or 4 days instead of hours. plus its soo much cheaper

Mini thins/heads up (ephidrine) was my big hook up in highschool. If I didn't have my fix in first hour, I napped thru classes until I got my fix, then I was up all night drinking. Oh well, I barely graduated and moved out of state.
Old 05-10-2005, 01:19 PM

Received 1,043 Likes on 765 Posts
OK, I'm going to bare my soul so to speak. When I said I was a reformed crack head I wasn't kidding. I spent 12 years smoking that stuff. I won't bore you with many details except the amount of degradation and danger I would subject myself to in order to get a few rocks.

I have been to hundreds of CA and NA meetings but they were at best a social club. I think they did help me with my personal relationships though but did not help with the addiction.

What finally did it for me was 9-11. All of those deaths made me realize how precious life is and I was wasting mine. I lost 12 years of being with the person I love and I regret that the most. Somehow, miraculously, she has allowed me back into her life and I am starting to get things back together now.

My life is still a wreckage however and those 12 years are just gone.

If a 12 step program works for you then great. It didn't work for me. What worked for me is sheer will power and the realization that I wanted the life I had more than I wanted to get high. I haven't done crack for over 3 years now.

I still drink on occasion though but I never had a problem with booze.

Edwin
Old 05-10-2005, 01:31 PM
P.J
Banned

Congrats to Edwin,
Programs work or don't work differnetly for everyone. The trick is that someone hasn't been to a meeting before, they should consider it before dumping on the idea. I have to say that the group therapy of any type (for me) was stressful and I never got much out of it. One on one I did well, was more likely to show up and learn or talk ahout whats going on. You really only get one shot at this life, that we know of anyway. It's too short to waste it away, that's for sure.
Old 05-10-2005, 01:31 PM
DTR'S Chaplain

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I Like seeing all the up front brothers hear bearing their souls..Hope it helps even one person.
Old 05-10-2005, 03:07 PM
tcr

I don't touch the drugs (although the booze can have worse effects), I do like my "light beers", 6 a week maybe. I ended up in "the meetings" to try and save a relationship, that lasted for six months, the problems still existed w/ the girl. I was sober for 6 months. The meetings were the best thing to happen to me, I found out who I was and what I wanted. You will find out exactly how lucky you are even when you think life is at its worse.
Old 05-10-2005, 10:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OK u guys tell me then

I dont drink at home, and i dont drink during the week, i dont drink to get drunk, although ive been down that road more times than i care to explain. But i do drink 6-8 Budweisers at the clubs, i budget no more than 20 for beer, and no more than 10 for a cover charge.... Am i alcoholic, no im not, i think im a social drinker, And i do call home if i feel too tipsy to drive unless im crashin somewhere, which is usually rare.. Then i go "out enough"

Tx
Old 05-11-2005, 08:47 AM

drunks/addicts

to me the definition of an alcoholic is a person whose drinking causes them problems in their private or work life, yet that person continues to drink.

don't think it is a question of what one drinks or how often, only a question of the problems it causes yet that person continues to drink. if you hit your head on the wall and it hurts and you continue to do it then you are sick. if you drink, have problems and continue to drink then i think you are sick.

does not mean my definition is correct, only my 2 cents worth.

one day at a time brothers, one day at a time.

david in socal