Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

? ABout UPS in Canada...

Old 06-20-2007, 08:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question ? ABout UPS in Canada...

Does UPS in Canada ever charge a fee to the person a package is being delivered to?

For example if I ship an item from here in VA to Canada, will UPS charge the person I am sending the package to an extra fee ( If I am paying for the shipping fee here at time of shipping)?

The reason I ask is that someone on ebay wants me to ship a package to them, but not use UPS and this is the reason they gave....just sounded kinda funny to me.
Old 06-20-2007, 08:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no its is true. Just got my boost fooler from Quadzilla and UPS nailed me with a $40 bill before they would hand it over. The fooler only cost $80!!!! I FREAKIN hate UPS they are slower than molasses and a total rip off in my opinion.

Ok I'm done now. If at all possible send any other way.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:28 PM

Don't use UPS anywhere if you value speed or safe delivery. The US postal service is one of the most efficient parcel services in the world. Pretty cheap too if you ship a smaller package. I would hand deliver before I ever used UPS.
Old 06-20-2007, 10:17 PM

Yes UPS or FedEx or any of the couriors will charge a "brokerage" fee to handle the customs clearance paperwork. This can be up to $40 plus there might still be taxes and duties ON TOP of this fee that will need to be paid.

If you ship USPS there might still be taxes and duties to pay but NOT the brokerage fee. Very easy with USPS. It makes a big difference on low dollar items. Ask me how I know this.
Old 06-20-2007, 10:35 PM
DTR's Toad Wrangler

If you ship with the USPS the Canadian authorities for duty and taxation will charge a handling fee/ brokerage. I just received a package for used parts the tax was $2.71 the handling fee was $5. They get the tax and charge me for getting it. It was not like that before, but just recently it has changed. Guess they seen all the money the others where making and wanted some.
Old 06-20-2007, 10:52 PM

UPS charges a brokerage fee that is insane. I got a Borgenson steering shaft and payed over $60 more when UPS delivered it. I had already payed for shipping with the company I ordered it from.

The $5 canada post charges seeems trivial after that. I do understand the frustration with a $5 handling fee. I have to collect GST and don't get to charge a handling fee.

Originally Posted by Clayten
If you ship with the USPS the Canadian authorities for duty and taxation will charge a handling fee/ brokerage. I just received a package for used parts the tax was $2.71 the handling fee was $5. They get the tax and charge me for getting it. It was not like that before, but just recently it has changed. Guess they seen all the money the others where making and wanted some.
Originally Posted by BlackSunShyne
Does UPS in Canada ever charge a fee to the person a package is being delivered to?

For example if I ship an item from here in VA to Canada, will UPS charge the person I am sending the package to an extra fee ( If I am paying for the shipping fee here at time of shipping)?

The reason I ask is that someone on ebay wants me to ship a package to them, but not use UPS and this is the reason they gave....just sounded kinda funny to me.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:04 PM
DTR's Toad Wrangler

The $5 is the minimum charge.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:22 PM

I've been damaged buy UPS brokerage fees for stuff coming across the border.......

I shelled out $300 for UPS "brokerage" on my Industrial Injection HRVP. because they would ONLY ship UPS........I will never buy from II again because of that "Learning" experience.

everything USPS USPS USPS USPS from now on!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-21-2007, 07:45 AM

I won't buy anything from the US if the vendor won't ship USPS. Except when I ordered my MBRP exhaust from DDP. They shipped it direct from the factory in Ontario with UPS. There was no brokerage fee. There were no taxes. It took a little longer to get here, but I saved a good chunk of change. The price was less than I was quoted buying it direct from MBRP.
Old 06-21-2007, 08:09 AM

WOW! Good to know, thanks for the information, I had no idea!!
Old 06-21-2007, 08:29 AM

If you ship to Canada or any other country for that matter with USPS be sure and check "GIFT" on the custom's form. This way there won't be any duty taxes on it.
Old 06-21-2007, 05:06 PM
JKM

Just like everyone has said stay a long ways away from UPS , i got nailed for an extra 70$ on my towing mirrors when they came, I will ONLY ship USPS now.
Old 06-21-2007, 05:09 PM

How about DHL to C eh N eh D eh? I know we use them a lot at work. They sent one package to my house. It left Germany about 5-6PM their time on a Friday night and was at my doorstep Monday morning by 8AM. How's that for German efficiency.
Old 06-21-2007, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by Iron Mike
How about DHL to C eh N eh D eh? I know we use them a lot at work. They sent one package to my house. It left Germany about 5-6PM their time on a Friday night and was at my doorstep Monday morning by 8AM. How's that for German efficiency.
Same deal with DHL (as far as I know)....the shipping part is CHEAP....

The Customs brokerage fees to get your goods across the border is what really hurts.

For me, if the company wont ship USPS - they can keep it
Old 06-21-2007, 08:16 PM

I totally agree, I had parts for my Quad come via USPS and it was brilliant, no extra cost! Again I will say STAY AWAY FROM UPS!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ? ABout UPS in Canada...