Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

80 Mpg?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2005, 03:53 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Post 80 Mpg?

80 MPG?
Has anyone been following the work that is being done at San Diego State Univ. by the T3 research? I heard on the radio the other day that they are getting close to their goal.
I am sure it will be a hybrid but if they even get anywhere near that mileage how do you think the BIG BAD OIL GODS are going to take it?
Do you think there might be some mysterious fire and all of the equipment and people working on it dissapear? Bet it will be an alien abduction.
Just thinking out loud again. Jim.

Our Mission: Coast to Coast on just 30 Gallons!

No Refueling - 2450 Miles at 80+ mpg

10 year old, off-the-shelf technology makes it possible!

San Diego, CA to Daytona Beach, FL on a single tank of fuel - Get with the Can-do spirit!

Energy dependence and technological complacency are ruining America!

Help defeat petroleum-politics by supporting the

Spirit of Lindberg Freedom Drive.

We are raising $75,000 to fund a transcontinental protest drive against high fuel prices and lazy auto companies

Contact us today and Join the list of Sponsors and Advertizers

L3 Research

6161 El Cajon Blvd. Suite 434

San Diego, CA 92115

info@L3Research.com

619-933-6058

http://www.l3research.com/
Old 05-04-2005, 05:25 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WAIT A MINUTE!!

They want $75000 to do a 2500 mile trip that will that will require only
30 gallons of fuel.

That's like $2500 per gallon or $30 per mile

I need to get in early on this con job.
Old 05-04-2005, 07:18 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
No joke.
I need $50k for a protest to prove we can get 25mpg out of pickups because the auto manufacturers and big oil won't let it happen.
Wait a minute, I get 25mpg driving 55mph.

MikeyB
Old 05-04-2005, 08:00 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How much gas does $75,000 buy?

30,000 gallons at 2.50 a gallon.

600,000 miles at 20 MPG.

Just food for thought... Considering I pain 3,000 for my truck, I could get half a million miles on their money... Just food for thought.

Unfortunately, they don't give any information on what kind of vehicle they are going to use...
Old 05-04-2005, 08:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lets see now: A GEO Metro, thats 50 mpg off the showroom floor, turbocharge it, lighten it some, ahhhh, why bother. No one liked the Metro either. I put 100,000 miles on one, worst mileage was 47. Nice power, roomy for a little car, comfortable on a trip.
Old 05-04-2005, 08:28 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Alternate-Emissions vehicle

Old 05-04-2005, 08:29 AM

Honda has built and proven a diesel in some kind of race track setting that still got about 90mpg even when going at least 70mph. VW Jettas can get into the 70s if driven soft enough, or like HiD started hinting on you can take a Geo Metro and swap in a small diesel motor and get the 80+mpg easily but there will be no power, none the less it'd be pretty easy to do if you can stand driving it that long!
Old 05-04-2005, 08:53 AM

Somebody explain to me just exactly how is a cross country drive going to protest gas prices???
Old 05-04-2005, 10:33 AM

http://www.l3research.com/multimedia..._HEV_Rides.wmv

This is the project. It has a 60 HP diesel and a 200 HP electric motor. They need to spend a little of that research money on fixing their website. About half of the links are dead and the ones that actually work are mislinked. I had to click on " racing transmission" to find this video lol. I clicked on " mini generator" and got a video of this car running around the track.
Old 05-04-2005, 01:26 PM

I can't say what "big oil" is going to do if the US consumer really starts driving super efficient diesel cars, but I can already tell you what Texas "Big Gov't" is working to implement because of lower perceived road fuel tax revenues!
They are working to tax EACH VEHICLE for using a highway whether it gets 58mpg or 5.8mpg!
TxDOT said so in their own powerpoint presentation! Specifically, increasingly popular use of higher efficiency vehicles is cutting into their road fuel tax dollars. Therefore, in major Texas cities, and Austin in particular, TxDOT plans to make "toll roads" out of existing freeways and state highways to create a revenue generator for the state politicians!
The salt in the wound is that in the same .ppt presentation they stressed the crucial need to "limit" existing alternate routes to ensure tollroad participation!!!!!
The fallacy in implementing toll roads as opposed to higher fuel taxes is that the fuel tax system is already in place and has "X" amount of overhead to collect said tax.
Whereas the toll road brainfart concept hands operation of the tollsystem over to an Italian corportation to run this revenue collection system with its own large overhead. Where's the benefit to the poor slob trying to pay for fuel to make a living?

TxDOT has already picked out where the toll plaza goes in on the state highway I have to commute to work on even in my little metropolis.
Google "Austintollparty" and wade thru the links.
I won't even get started on the other "Trans-Texas Corridor" project...

Keith
Old 05-04-2005, 01:39 PM

This car already gets close to 80mpg, it's not a hybrid, and has been in production for some time now:

http://www.vwvortex.com/artman/publi...nter_319.shtml

Now if we can only get the environmental whackos to see the light about diesels
Old 05-04-2005, 01:51 PM

Colorado is trying to promote a 200+ mile private toll road parallel to I-25 between Pueblo on the south and Ft. Collins in the north to bypass "city congestion" up and down the Front Range. They also want to include a railroad line with the toll road.

What's the point!? Neither will help commuters, as it will be built out in the boonies to the east, and not touch any major city.

Seems the "Toll Road" craze has hit the Western states
Had enough of toll roads back east on I-95 and elsewhere!
Old 05-04-2005, 02:29 PM

Roadranger:
Traditionally, toll roads(in Tx.) were specifically BUILT as dedicated toll roads and not existing public roads "appropriated" into becoming toll roads... Texas has now passed the necessary laws permitting TxDot to cede over existing State highways and state public roads to a new State "toll" authority. Our taxes paid for the building of these roads in the first place, and now they are to be given over to the Toll entity. It is not like they are either "new" private or public construction in addition to existing public roads, they are the same roads most drivers presently rely on every day to get to work on...
A "new" private toll road to parallel an existing thorofare is one thing, but to take that existing thorofare and "toll" it, stinks!

Colorado's corridor concept sounds suspiciously like Texas' "Trans-Texas Corridor" project.. Roads, rail,utilities, pipelines, electrical transmission line ROW's etc.

We are victims of our own thriftiness! It's all you guys dumping your 3500 duallie V-10's and Hemi's in favor of those thrifty CTD's

K.