Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

1st 4x4 trip and 1st damage

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2005, 10:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1st 4x4 trip and 1st damage

My truck was a replacement for my Fj60 Landcruiser. Purpose of both was camping and to get where I needed to go. I've done a fair amount of 4x4 Hi & Low in the '05 but just for short sections. I really wanted to see how the truck would do so I would know what it could do and what to stay away from.
The family (wife & daughter) & I did the West side of Hayden Pass, CO which is easier the West side according to the guides. Did well going up except for the one section where I lost traction. Took me 3 tries to make it. I was getting nervous when my daughter said "I'm worried Papa" and "We can't make it, Papa". I didn't like to worry my 3 year old but there was no aborting at that point. After lunch and a hike on top, we headed down.
Almost down, we were driving down a steep loose section w/ no clearance problems and BANG! Where did that come from I asked my wife? At the bottom I stopped and checked it out. A 1" deep dent & gash was behind my fender flare (front door). I had flipped a rock into my rocker panel. Luckily it's Linex'd. Without the Linex, it would look like crap and I'd have to fix it for rust prevention at least. As it is, since it didn't go thru the Linex I'm fine ... except it is still a dent.
Old 08-02-2005, 09:37 AM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
This is a little known fact..... Stuff like this only happens to new trucks. I had a tree branch pop up and do something similar (no real damage, scuffed the paint) shortly after I bought my truck. Hasn't happened since, hadn't happened with the old truck.....
Old 08-02-2005, 06:48 PM

Why did you sell the FJ60? the older cruisers were the best off road vechials ever made!

Cooper
Old 08-02-2005, 09:23 PM

mainer, When camping, my wife & I slept in the back w/ the back seat down. Then we had a baby. It worked ok for a few years, then it got too tight. Yeah... we could have done the tent thing but when it's rainy or windy ... You understand?

The FJ60 was getting unreliable w/ 276K miles. I couldn't track down an electrical problems which prevented it from starting after driving a rough road. Once I had to roll start it for 700 miles. It was just time for a new truck.

Mainer, With all due respect, your avatar gets on my nerves. I can barely type this looking at it.
Old 08-03-2005, 11:33 AM

FJ = foreign jeep

I dented the crap out of the rockers on my cherokee - which I built for wheeling. I know your pain, it sucks. I shoulda got rock-sliders.

good thing I'm selling it. my 86/87 pickup/4runner hybrid is all the wheeler i need.